So how do you keep your spirits up?

Yorktown Linda

When I was first diagnosed, no problem -- it was one 2.5cmm tumor and surgery should fix that. Hard recovery from surgery but lymph nodes and margins were all clean. Drs felt the smaller nodules all over the place were bac and unlikely to do anything but sit there.

So I had some rough days but soon it was back to life as usual.

This new tumor has really thrown me. I want to enjoy what life I have but I can't seem to work up the energy. It just seems that I'll be defined by my cancer and its treatments and then I'll die.

I know, I know; there's lot of good in my life. But right now I feel "so what?"

I used to be the queen of denial but it's failing me now. What do you do to raise your spirits?

Sorry to start the week with a downer,

Linda

Linda,

Throw yourself a pity party. Put an end date/time on it, wallow in the despair, hang out in your jammies all day with a ratty robe and fuzzy slippers. Wrap your hands around a good cup of tea and eat all your favorite comfort foods. Take a long bath and cry whenever you want to, and when time's up, snap back into the armor.

Sometimes, you just need a good vent, like Ol' Faithful, to get all those nasty thoughts out. By setting a time and sticking to it, it's a "treatment plan."

I swear, many days I think the mental battle is far harder than the physical one. Easier to treat the physical pains, too.

Take care and be kind to yourself,

Becky

hey there Linda. Good Monday morning to you. I like the idea of a pity party...get it all out and get on with it. And I agree the 'mental" part is the toughest. Guess that's why it is so great to have all the supportive folks here on our side. I find "gratitude" helps. Gratitude for all the people in my life and how kind they have been to me before, during and ongoing in my journey. And thanks for each day that we have. I also know my outlook improves with something to look forward to...like a trip, outing, etc. Keeps me focused on something else. Take care and I hope your week improves. Hey maybe find the song "I don't like Monday's" and listen to it today. And maybe Tuesday will be better. Take care

Sandra

Linda-

I know exactly how you feel. Some days - I just get really down. I have found, tho, that if I just let it out and cry like a baby, its over and I can get back up and start fighting again. Now, sometimes that cry lasts for a couple of days but man, do I feel better after letting it out. BTW - just had one of those spells over the last couple of days - cried and screamed to my husband and now I feel better. He doesn't tho, I am sure - he looked like a deer caught in the headlights!! :shock:

Hope you have better days coming up!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Yep, I too hear you loud and CLEAR! Sounds like it's time for a group PITY PARTY if you ask me! :roll:

Now let's see if I have any words of wisdom to share with you. hummmmmmmmmm Nope I got nothing other then the fact that I TOTALLY get what your saying and YES we do need to vent and whine and carry on now and then. You Go Girlfriend!! Get Er Done! Let it Out! :wink:

For me it's hard at times to walk into that BRICK WALL that's right in front of us. But, after a day or so I can usually get around that brick wall and things start to look up again.

This horrible Journey we're on doesn't come with directions on how to get through the rough spots. But I sure can tell you this, those of us walking this same journey can honestly related to what your saying. ((((((((((LINDA))))))))) So put your Pity Party Hat On and Have at Er! You'll be shocked to know how many of us might join you! :wink:

Oh, one thing I do is try and contact positive people. People I know will make me laugh and take my mind off of poor me and my health issues. It helps me.

Linda I know how you feel, I have this monster in my neck like a big neckles that I can not take it of. I am scarred to die. When someting nice happend to me I think is because I will die, There are days that I forget that I hav cancer & then I feel guilty for feeling great. I don't know.... I think the better thing to do is like Connie said, live the day, stay with positive people & relize that this is not the life sentence. here are many new things that in a short period of time this thing it will be treated like a chronic desease.

All the best & have faith

bucky

Think I answered my own question: Just keep busy.

Yesterday I was at work. I'm a referrence librarian in a small, depressed city just north of New York City. We're very busy as most of our population cannot afford computers and internet service at home. Then, after 3, we get the middle school kids who have no where else to go. So I didn't have a moment to think, let alone feel sorry for myself.

I'll have to keep my weekends full until the surgery.

Thanks for all your help and ideas,

Linda

Hi Linda.

I can remember those days so vividly with Brad. I also remember the one conversation we had about it and his insisting that there was no way he was going to let the cancer define his life and he held onto that conviction. We would set aside certain times to discuss treatments etc and how things were going but then it was back to the agreement of living life as normally as possible. It sure helped to keep his spirits up as well as mine.

Not sure if this is of any help but I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers..

Christine

Hi Linda,

You have gotten some great advice. I just wanted to add that sometimes just sitting and watching something funny on the tv and laughing out loud helps me tremendously. I love to watch reruns of That 70 show and Who's line is it anyway.

Wendy

Everytime I start feeling down about my condition, I tell myself "it is what it is". Once I say that I realize I can be depressed and not be happy, or I can have fun and be happy, knowing that either way I choose to feel won't change what it is. That phrase always makes me choose feeling happy so I get up and make myself do something fun (even if it just watching a funny TV show or taking a walk. Even cleaning the house makes me feel better because I'm doing SOMETHING.

Susan L