a setback for Hank

Hi everybody,

Well, I contacted Hank's oncologist today because he's having such breathing difficulties. He ended up in the hospital today. Although we really don't know at this point, and will only know after a scan is done, the doctor thinks that either we're dealing with a blood clot, or possibly the chemo is not working and the tumor is interfering more with his airway.

The doctor is talking about possibly implanting radioactive seeds in the tumor, and putting in a pulmonary stent to keep the air way open. In any case he wants to do something now and not wait until the complete cycle of the chemo Hank is on to be completed, thinking that if it is'nt shrinking the tumor, we will have lost alot of ground if we wait that long. Anybody have any first hand experience with this? I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks,

Gail

(((Gail)))

I am so sorry that Hank is having this setback. He will continue to be in my prayers.

I believe the treatment you are talking about is called high-dose radiation brachytherapy. Kind of like how they implant seeds for prostrate cancer They implant the radiation into the tumor which offers maximum radiation to only the affected area. I had once asked my onc about this and he had said that someday it might be an option for me.

Good luck, give Hank a hug and please keep us posted. Don't forget to get some rest for yourself!!

Hugs - Patti B.

Gail,

Sorry to hear Hank is having trouble. My mom had some issues with feeling like there was something stuck in her throat all the time. The doctors thought her tumor may have been pushing on or constricting blood vessels near her esophogus. Though she did not have the seeds procedure, she did have radiation to her lung tumor and it helped a lot and relatively quickly.

Hugs and prayers for you and Hank.

Lisa

Teh seeds are a new procedure relatively Speaking of course. Is kind of cutting edge and new to a lot of us. It sounds as though Docs have plans and Treatments in place right now. Hugs and Prayers and IF you need any info drop me a pm always here some days so.... :wink::) Always ready to do research for YA!

I probably won't say this well but I want you to know because I wish someone would have told me in detail about brachytherapy before John had it. Of all the procedures and treatments he went through this was the worst and I feel it led to his death.

To implant the seeds a pulmonologist must first go in and set wires near the tumor. These wires go in through the nose and down to the tumor. This is not pleasant as you can imagine. Then the patient must go to a radiation room to have the seeds implanted (they travel down the wires). For us, the radiation was done at another location way across town so John had to be ambulanced with all these wires to the radiation oncologist. Once there, putting the seeds in takes a long time. This has to be done 3 times about 3 weeks apart to be effective.

So- if you're considering this ask how quickly between setting the wires and putting in the seeds. Also-- and this is the biggie-- ask if the radiation will be close to a major artery where it could cause a bleed.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I really wish we'd never gone for this procedure. Think it through carefully.

Rochelle

Charlie had brachytherapy in Aug - Sep 2005. It was a series of 3 treatments about a week to 10 days apart. They do a bronchoscopy to insert a tube into the airway/bronchial tubes in the area where the tumor(s) are located. This is normally done in a surgical suite. They then take the patient to the radiation oncology area and they are placed in the radiation room. There is a machine that contains the radiation source. It feeds the source through the tube and into the airway where it makes a certain number of stops as it goes from beginning to end of the area being treated. The radiation source is then fed back into the machine where it is contained. The speed and number of stops for the radiation source determines the dose actually received to that limited area.

When they did the second and third treatment on Charlie they were able to see dramatic results from the previous treatment(s).

If possible, try to make sure the radiation facility is located in the hospital or very close by otherwise they have to transport by ambulance from one place to the other, which increases the time it takes and can result in movement of the tube that is inserted. Hope this isn't too much information for you. If you need additional information or have questions, please PM me.

Praying for Hank and you!

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your thoughtful replies. Hank is still in the hospital. They found a large blood clot had developed which is being successfully treated with Heparin. Hank will have to go on Coumadin once released from the hospital, which should be in a couple of days.

Also, it seems that in reviewing the first CAT scans that were taken and the one just taken in the hospital, we have significant shrinkage of the tumor after just two chemo sessions. I think this is quite positive news. So, at this point, Hanks doctor is going to continue the chemo regimen and not do the brachytherapy. It's been an exciting few days!!!!

I will keep you posted, Thanks everybody!

All the best,

Gail

Dear Gail,

May the good news continue. The problem having been found and successfully treated is definitely a blessing.

Also, the tumor shrinkage is very encouraging. May Hank begin feeling much better very soon.

Sending my very best to both of you,

Barbara