Tentative PET scan report

CaroleHammett

After my 12/20/07 CT scan showed my original tumor had begun growing again (from 2-3 cm.), my oncologist ordered a PET/CT, which not only confirmed the growth, but also identified at least two newly-enlarged pre-tracheal lymph nodes (near base of wind pipe).

I went on Tarceva (150 mg.) on 01/22/08, but a 2nd scan on 03/26/08 showed even more growth (from 3 to 4 cm), but no further growth in lymph nodes and no additional metastasis.

Because of this--together with the fact that I continue to have energy and be relatively pain-free; and the oncologist's report that the center of the tumor might be showing necrosis (dead cells)--my oncologist felt that it was possible that the Tarceva was having a clinical benefit despite the growth.

He then ordered a PET scan which I had today, with the hope that it would show that at least part of the tumor consisted of dead cells; and also to monitor for further metastasis.

I have not yet received the radiologist's report (probably before the end of the week); however, I did get a CD copy of the scan; and to my untrained eye, it appears that this is a case of "mixed reviews;" i.e., a comparison of this scan to the 01/04 scan (1) definitely shows further growth; amd (2) definitely shows increase in metabolic activity (higher SUV); but (3) I see no further metastasis and the pre-tracheal lymph nodes seem to be the

same size and number.

While I would have loved to see the lights "dim" on the original tumor and lymph nodes, I am exceedingly pleased about the apparent lack of further metastasis, so I'm already doing the "Happy Dance" here even though I don't have radiologitst's report yet (one learns quickly following an LC dx that anything positive, no matter how minute, is worthy of a mighty celebration! :lol:

I'll report back in once I get the formal radiologist's report, but in the meantime, please feel free in joining me in happy dancing (the Mick Jagger-David Bowie video version)! :D

I am glad you're staying on the Tarceva, if it is stabilizing things that would be wonderful. I know some members are doing Tarceva and Avastin, you might want to ask about adding that drug. Let us know the "official" report when you get it.

Rochelle

Hi, Rochelle and thanks!

As to Avastin, it is contraindicated in my case (as is Nexavar) because I'm squamous cell (as versus adenocarcinoma, BAC, etc.).

In the meantime, however, I just noticed that I somehow managed to post the above without including my Happy Dance link to "Dancing in the Streets" (Shame on me! :lol:) so here it is for those care to join me:

http://videos22.wordpress.com/2008/04/0 ... he-street/

Thanks again, Rochelle.

Carole

Carole,

I love your attitude that "Happy Dancing" is definitely in order.

Of course, the video of Jagger and Bowie was enough to get me started on a happy note for the day - feet tapped right along. :lol:

Keeping you in my very best thoughts, as always,

Barbara