Carol has brain mets and began WBR yesterday

Gracie

We suspected it but were praying it wasn't so. She has several brain mets and the Dr. told her yesterday that she needed WBR and they stopped the chemo. I think she is set to get 15 treatments in all? M-F this week. She will lose all of her hair. Will she become confused/more fatugued?

I'm scared. I hope they can catch it in time, but, in the meanwhile, if they stop chemo for her lung, isn 't that bad? I am praying she will be well enough to attend her son's wedding on June 7 but it's so hard to stay positive at this point. If anyone can offer me any hope, or tell me their experience with this, I'd be so grateful.

Gracie

Hi,

There is hope, your sister is young and has a lot to fight for. My mother is on her second week of WBR. Her appetite is better than with the chemo. They told us to expect fatigue, but she isn't any more tired than she was before. The confusion isn't gone, but it hasn't gotten any worse. The doc told my father yesterday that her confusion will slowly go away. She feels better. They stop the chemo because the brain mets can be very serious. Our doctor said not to worry to much about the chemo and to take a month off after the radiation. My mother did have 9 series of chemo between the radiation therapys. I'll keep you and your sister in my prayers.

Don't loose faith, there is always hope.

Patty

Hi Gracie -

I had WBR after my brain tumor had been removed. The fatigue was the main side effect that I had. I was able to continue with chemo while undergoing WBR and lung radiation. I did lose my hair, which the Dr. said is more due to WBR than the chemo.

WBR was great for me - and I am praying and hoping that the same goes for your sister!

Colleen

My sister had WBR and it seemed like any confusion from that was after a few months... She had WBR in July of last year and I remember calling the dr in late November/early December about her not seeming to be herself and him saying it could be from the WBR. She also got chemo with WBR. They did weekly sessions at lower doses instead of the every 3 weeks.

Gracie,

My husband had 1 large met that was crushin his brain stem. Alan had WBR. That was

well over 2.5 years ago and although alan's cancer has returned to other parts of his

body, it never returned to his brain. I hope your sister will be strong enough to make

the wedding. Many Many prayers for your family.