Update on Patty Gottlieb- Mostly Good News

Kerri Gottlieb

Went to Sloane Kettering today and the news is good and bad.

All her Lung tumors are GONE, but the spot on her liver has gotten a little bigger.

So they are going to stop the Alimta (which worked great for 7 months) and start her on Tarceva.

I'm going to speak with her Oncologist again tomorrow because I wanted to get some more info before I asked him all my questions. I'm wondering why we don't use radiation or one of the other new procedures like cryosurgery, radiofrequency (RF) ablation, alcohol ablation, or embolization. I trust her doctor but want to make sure we are doing all we should.

Anyone else dealt with Liver mets for stage IV NSCLC Adenocarcinoma (sp?)????

Mom is still having some pain for her Post Herpetic Neuralgia (aftereffect of shingles) but other than that and some fatigue, she is doing great!

She keeps saying she has to go online, but she hasn't yet so I will try to keep you all updated. She used to be online everyday, so her inbox is probably overflowing. LOL She asked me to let you all know she will be coming back and she thanks you for all the well wishes.

We tell everyone about this WEBSITE and how much hope it has given my family. My sister-in-law's Mom just had a brain tumor removed and now they think that it is actually Lung Cancer that metastasized to the brain. I sent her a link to this site and especially Ernie's Story, which gave us so much HOPE.

A year ago today (Mom's Birthday) she was diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC.

Keep on fighting ALL you brave warriors!

THANKS [/b]

Hi Kerri. Great to hear the good news but so sorry about the liver mets. Your mom sounds like a trooper. I don't have any experiences to share with liver mets but it sure sounds like you will be asking all tlhe right questions. Your mom is lucky to have you. Looking forward to hearing from your mom and prayers for an effective treatment plan.

Sandra

Hi Kerri-

So glad you checked in. I think about your mom often.

Looks like we are on the same drill - I just stopped Alimta and began Tarceva a week ago so your mom and I can wait for the rash together!!!

Have no information on liver mets but am so glad to see you and hear how good mom is doing. If I remember correctly, you had a lot to do with her feeling better - what a great daugher you are!!

Hugs to you and mom- Patti B.

Thank you so miuch for the update on your mom. Please tell her I'm thinking of her.

I don't know how big her met is on her liver, but tell her to ask about cyberknife. They do that for the lung, liver and pancreatic cancer. She may be a candidate. It's a wonderful procedure with no after effects and very effective. But you have to be a candidate for it. So it can't be too small or too big.

Just more food for thought.

Hang in threre, we are here for you.

Maryanne

If the only residual disease is just one liver spot, I would choose cyberknife. It takes months for the effect to show up from ck treatment, so maybe your mom's oncologist would have your mom be on tarceva in the meantime. The ck treatment is strictly local and it may be a good idea to have the tarceva in place to make sure the liver gets a systemic treatment too.

http://www.cyberknifesupport.org/forum/

http://www.winthrop.org/departments/cli ... yberknife/

Don M

Hi Kerri,

I am glad you checked back in. I wish that your mom had received a better report than she got.

I don't have any expierence with liver mets, but I have had 2 years 8 months on tarceva. The drug has really been a miracle for me.

Keep us posted on your mom,

Wendy

Thanks for the update, Kerri. I'll keep the hope allive that this works well for her. And one more thing........I just KNEW your mother was one special lady!!!! Now I know why ~ we share the same birthday. I celebrated last week too! Wish her a belated happy birthday from me. Only thing is ~ guess my year is a bit before hers :? !!!

Kasey

"Patti B"]Hi Kerri-

So glad you checked in. I think about your mom often.

Looks like we are on the same drill - I just stopped Alimta and began Tarceva a week ago so your mom and I can wait for the rash together!!!

Have no information on liver mets but am so glad to see you and hear how good mom is doing. If I remember correctly, you had a lot to do with her feeling better - what a great daugher you are!!

Hugs to you and mom- Patti B.

Patti:

Thanks so much and I like to think we worked really hard to get her better. That's why I cannot let this liver spot derail everything. And thanks for the kind words. :oops:

Mom's will be on it a week tomorrow. Anything yet? LOL Mom's had nothing so far, but I already read up on Tarceva even researched that special tape for the hands and feet if you get the rash there. Please keep me updated on any effects you have and I'll do the same k?

Hugs to you!!!!

Katie B, Sue & Susan: Thanks for all the well wishes! They really mean a lot.

Maryanne & Don M.: Thanks for the cyberknife info. I am waiting for her Oncologist to call me back to see if she is a candidate. Keep your fingers crossed.

Wendy: Great to hear Tarceva works and for 2 years 8 months!! Wow!!

Kasey: Happy Belated Birthday!!!! You must be pretty special as well!! From your pic, I think you and Mom are same age.

Everyone else, I really appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers!! I absolutely believe they make a real difference!! Thanks again!!

Love, Kerri

Keri-

Nothing really yet as far as side effects altho my face itches and feels real taut and dry. My stomach is feeling funny - like maybe that is going to start soon. I have bought all kinds of products that everyone has recommended and already started using them in anticipation.

Its funny because I certainly don't want to the nasty rash but know that I have to have it in order for it to be working. I think I read somewhere that if you get nothing at all, for sure its not working. I am also having trouble getting into the mind-set that I don't HAVE to go to chemo to still be fighting cancer - after 31 cycles of chemo this little pill just doesn't seem to be something that I psychologically feel is fighting the cancer off.

We will keep in touch - hope your mom gets the rash REAL bad - LOL - but I mean that in a really good way!!!

Hugs - Patti B.