Finished PCI yesterday

mariannebreathes

Hi everyone!

I just finished my 10 days of PCI (brain) radiation and have my Hannibal lector mask to prove it. Just in time for HALLOWEEN too! :-) I think i might paint it "glow in the dark" and

nail it to one of our trees LOL

Here is my question- for those of you that had PCI. Do you remember when your hair fell out or if it fell out? My doctor saw me on day 9 and said it might thin abit but he didn't think I would lose it . ON the other hand.....every hair on my head HURTS again so I think he might have spoken prematurely?

Thanks for your input.

prayers and hugs

Marianne

Marianne,

My hair fell out after my about my 10th treatment (I had 18). Treatments ended May 1st and I am just now growing it back. It kinda sucks that I was just starting to grow it back after chemo and then I lost it again.

-rob

PS: I let them keep the mask.

Hi, Marianne-

I had to respond because I laughed out loud about your mask idea!

My wife, Bev, was also diagnosed SCLC limited and went through just about the same regime as you.

I’m afraid I can’t be much help to your question as I can’t be certain when she started losing her hair.

I think it was after the PCI.

She was very fatigued for at least a month afterwards.

But her energy and hair came back eventually.

That was 3 years ago and I hope you have the same response.

Best Wishes,

Kim

Hi Marianne,

I had a lovely crop of white peach fuzz when I started PCI, and alas it all fell out a few days after I finished.....EXCEPT, a ring around the base of my skull and neck, giving me a slight Friar Tuck look. I'm glad someone else thought the mask was the spittin image of Hannibel Lector!! I subsequently went back on chemo, and even my Friar Tuck hair vanished......hair today, gone tomorrow.

I like your style! Wear that sucker for Halloween! Keep smiling!

Katie

Marianne, lucky for you (just in case) you have a perfectly shaped head and look great bald. I can't add anything specific to your situation since I never had radiation but wanted to come in and tell you how wonderful it is to hear you so positive and upbeat. And I want to see the "mask" too!

Judy in Key West

Hi Marianne,

First of all, congratulations on finishing PCI. You've earned that mask and whatever you choose to do with it!! Mom kept hers too - it was on their mantle for a little while. The grandsons all got a BIG kick out of that. :)

I had to check my profile, but Mom's hair did fall out again after her WBR - it looks like a little less than a week after she'd finished. She was pretty bummed as it was just coming back after the chemo, of course. But it's coming back in again now, although she had a bit of a reverse mohawk as she has a very, very thin patch right down the middle of her head, starting in the back.

Have a great Halloween and can't wait to see pictures!

Nicole

Hi Marianne-Congratulations on finishing your PCI-

My Moms hair fell out again after WBR and her head hurt and her ears swelled-she also said her tongue hurt...so just keep this in mind if things start to feel strange.

Take Care

Dar

My hair started falling out in droves yesterday- and it's the short prickly hair so it's driving me nuts AND ticking me off.

My head hurts sometimes but mostly I just feel like I AM in a fog and sleepy a lot. And in the last few days for some reason I have become very depressed. Not sure why that is.....but THANK YOU EVERYONE for your messages!

Hugs and Prayers

Marianne

Marianne,

I know that given a little time you'll bounce back. Because I'm aware that going off Avastin could speed up my progression (OR NOT!), I have been thinking about and talking to my husband about how I'll react if and when I need to go on the big treatment stuff again. I told him to expect I will just freak out at first. And losing our hair again, just awful.

Hang in there girl. Give yourself some real wallow time and you'll bounce back. You've already proved you've got the stuff it takes to fight this thing.

Judy in Key West