Some Kinda BS!!/update 11/10/08

Okay guys, in a word,well 2 words actually.

Radiation Pneumonitis

Tom will take prednisone again with a gradual decrease.

10mg 4 x daily for 1 week, 3 x daily for 1 week, 2 x daily for 1 week, 1 x daily for 1 week then he will go back in for followup and get a breathing test.

So that is where we stand.

Denise

• 4 weeks later...

So things are not going that great. When Tom was taking the prednisone 4 x daily the cough seemed to be a bit better than the 10mg 1x day that he is on now. Extreme SOB remains an issue. He is still using the Symbicort inhaler on top of the prednisone to try and get some relief. He is just so tired all the time no because he just can't breathe.

The appt with the pulmonologist was moved up to the 20th of this month. He will go back for a recheck and the breathing function tests.

Tom thinks he waited too long to get treatment and has irreversible damage. I hope that is not the case and he can start breathing somewhat normal again.

We had put the next CT scan out a couple of weeks until Dec 8th because the Onc wanted to wait for the pneumonitis to calm down. If this is permanent how will it affect the next scan? Will it make a difference in how things appear?

I am wondering now if he will have to stay on the prednisone for good.

Denise

pneumonitis doesn't always clear up. We have had some members here have it for a very long time. I know it's not fun to have, I had it too. The SOB was horrible when I had it, but I was lucky in that mine did clear up.

Hard to say what they will do.

Tell Tom I am sending him Get Well Wishes. I sure can relate to what he feels like. IT SUCKS! Even with my heart problems I had SOB and I too was very tired. It knocks you on your butt being SOB. Hang in there Tom!

Denise, I am so sorry to hear Tom is not bouncing back. It may just take time. I don't know what irreversible damage he is concerned about. I do know that after my pleural effusion and pneumonia was resolved, they did x-rays to check on any remaining fluid levels. They said it was better than the CT for that purpose. I could be wrong but I'm inferring that what he has either won't be picked up well or that it will at least be differentiated from any cancer effects with the CT. And truthfully, I don't know the difference between pneumonitis and pneumonia. Anyone?

Hang in there both of you. Nov 20 must seem like forever to Tom when he can't breathe, never mind Dec 8 until the CT. Sending positive thoughts and energy your way.

Judy in Key West

I just thought I would share with you what Pneumnonitis and Pneumonia means being Judy made a good point about it.

Pneumonitis is a general term that refers to inflammation of lung tissue. Pneumonia is one type of pneumonitis caused by an infection. Many other factors can cause pneumonitis, including breathing in animal dander, inhaling small food particles "down the wrong pipe" and receiving radiation therapy to your chest.[1]