So discouraged

Linda74

My husband was diagnosed with stage 4 Adenocarcinoma in September....then came pulmonary embolisms, high sugar and a 30 pound weight loss. He did manage to walk our daughter down the aisle in October. He has completed three rounds of Alimta/Carbo Platinum. His scans showed that he was receptive to the chemo with some shrinkage particularly in the lung area. But he is depressed beyond belief. He can barely walk to the bathroom and sleeps all day and night. His appetite is poor and some pain has returned. About once every two weeks, he has a good couple of hours but returns to his fatigued state quickly. He is on all kinds of meds.......I just feel that these may be the best days he will ever have. We see doctors all the time but he is always declining. He has been on an anti depressant which is supposed to increase his appetite, but after 4 weeks, I see no benefit.....I guess I am just rambling but every day is the same or worse....We need a wheelchair to go anywhere. He is always the sickest looking person at chemo.......Last week, he received two bags of blood, but even that hasn't helped.....

He is on injectable insulin, Lovenox, a phentanyl patch, and various other meds....including the Remeron......I am just so discouraged.....as is he.....

Oh my gosh Linda. I am so sorry for what you are both going through. And I really don't have anything to offer. He is already on anti-depressants, but maybe he needs to be on more. The depressed part I think is the worst. I would continue to seek help re that. Regardless of how he is doing health wise I am sure if he was in better spirits you would both feel a lot better. I think you said he was done chemo now and perhaps it is just taking him a long time to feel better after that. It really does do a number on your body. I am sending my prayers that things will improve for you both. This is so darn hard. Take care please, the best you can. Make sure you are getting out when you are able.

Sandra

Linda

I am so sorry things are still going this way. My first thought when I read your post this morning is that he might benefit from a different anti depressant. They do not all work the same, so it may be very beneficial for him to try another one...

Continued thougjhts and prayers

Christine

He's taking a hard combination of chemo and sleep may be the way his body is healing and dealing with that. He has to eat or get nourishment though -- 30 lbs. is a huge weight loss. Try to find out what he can tolerate or even if he will just drink some high calorie things it will help. I know for awhile John was eating a lot of those real fruit Popsicles and soups, that was about all he could handle. I hope you have talked to his doctor or the chemo nurse about all this, they may be able to help or adjust his dosage.

Keep us posted on how he does.

I'm so sorry for your both, Hugs to you. I know it is hard.

I agree with trying another antidepressant. We tried alot of different ones with my Daddy. You might also ask about Megace for an appetite stimulant. It's expensive, but it worked for both of my parents.

Hang in there,

Leslie

Linda, I agree that it often takes a couple of tries to get just the right anitdepressant but it seems your husband has had little experience to date to lift his spirits. Think about what used to give him joy--a visit from a child or grandchild if you have either, watching birds, sporting events. See if you can provide him with something, it doesn't have to be big that he can take a little joy in. Also, lethargy is related to depression as is certain medications or combinations of meds. Ask his doctors to review what he is taking to see if anything can be eliminated or substitued for by something with less side effects.

I am so sorry that both of you are having to go through this. Be sure to take care of yourself, getting someone to sit with him if necessary so you can get out a little. Finally, give him some time to heal. It's too soon to give up hope.

Please keep us posted.

Judy in Key West

Thanks, Judy....Truth be told he never had a depressed day in his life before the diagnosis....I think the mini strokes to the brain may be part of it. Surely, his "affect" has changed. The medications may also be the culprit and the fact that we went from a life where we were actually "pinching" ourselves each morning because we felt so good and blessed. He loves sports and our kids come to visit when they are available on the weekends. If he feels good like he has the last two days, the visits are wonderful. But on the down days, emotionally and stamina wise, he almost dreads the visits. We will get there, hour by hour if necessary. You are right, it is too soon to give up hope. It is just so hard when you know how much fight one has to have to stay in this game and when sometimes you look in the eyes and don't see the tank full for the fight.

I am so thankful to have found this board.