Help with the cold weather...etc

Isunique

Hi all

I have a question for those of you living in the frigid North (some areas of Florida as well). I had my upper left lobe removed and find it difficult to breathe outside when it gets colder and the wind chill drops. Will it always be this way or can I strengthen the lungs so it won't be as bad. I always look like Nanook of the North when venturing outside. Also, another silly question, when you get a chest cold when you are minus part of your lung are the colds worse or about the same since you have less to get congested. I have the biggest fear of catching a cold, I have had the sniffles but nothing (knock on wood) has taken hold yet.

Take Care and thanks for all of your help and support.

Sarah

Hi Sarah!

Boy, you have the EXACT questions I had a while ago. As to the cold ~ I have always been a cold person anyway, so even BEFORE LC I looked like Nanook :? ! I am missing my top right lobe and the cold and wind do still bother me 4 years after surgery. I find the more I walk ~ it has built up some, but I get quite SOB in frigind temps, especailly with any wind. Those days are the ones I just stay inside. BUT, Sarah, it IS better than 4 years ago.

As to colds......I was panicked at the thought of getting a cold. Then I did and it wasn't so bad. Just be sure to take care of it so it doesn't get worse than it needs to get. I used to be quite prone to bronchitis.That really freaked me. I haven't had any cold (NO bronchitis at all) as bad as some I had before LC. I am quite vigilant, though, about staying away from sickies and I wash my hands a thousand times a day. I find myself NOT touching stuff like handrails or doorknobs with my bare hands. Sometimes I even keep gloves on (providing it's winter :wink: ) to prevent getting unnecessary germs. A bit of a lunatic you say???? You betcha!!! BUT it has worked for me.

Try not to worry too much. Be outside ~ even in the cold ~ and do what you can. Little by little you will build up some.

Kasey

Sarah,

Just before Christmas, I had my first bronchitis since my surgery a year ago. It's plainly going to be worse for me. I've had exercise induced asthma ever since my surgery, too. I'd never had that before.

I don't think I have any tougher time breathing when it's cold, but I don't like the way my lungs feel with the cold air, so tend to do shorter bike rides and start later in the day, to avoid mornings that are too cold. I'm in Texas, so I don't get the really cold weather, though.

It sounds like it may be different for all of us. I hope it gets better for you with time.

Thanks Kasey and uneasyrider

I live in lower Michigan where it has been extrememly cold the last few weeks. I have tried putting a mask on then scarves over my nose and mouth. I keep steaming up the specs. I did find a helmet type of hat at the sports store that is a little better, but it's a bit to thin and the air coming in is still kind of cold. I have stared working out again in earnest so hopefully has I get in better physical condition it will improve.

Kasey, thanks for the info about a cold. The fear has been rumbling around in my head this winter and every time I get a bit of the sniffles it gets my mind going in first gear. I take all of my supplements and try to eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies.

Thanks again

Stay warm and stay healthy

Sarah

I was very worried about catching colds and bronchitis after my surgery. When I asked my doctor about it, he said that I'd be like everyone else. I'd catch colds and maybe bronchitis and I'd get over them just like everyone else.

I've had many colds and upper respiratory infections since my surgery, (I'm still working and very active), and if I don't start feeling better after several days, I do go see the doctor. I usually end up with an antibiotic and decongestant because by then it's turned into an upper respiratory infection. My doctor says that I should use over the counter medications for 7-10 days and then if it doesn't get better, to come in.

The cold doesn't really bother me any more than it did before my surgery. I think that the exercise will help you build up your lung capacity. It sure did wonders for me. Used to be when I smoked, that cold air would make me start coughing my head off. At least that's not happening any more!

Try not to stress too much about the colds and sinus infections. We're gonna get them, and I guess like everyone else, we'll be miserable and have to get medicine, but they will go away too, just like with everyone else.

Cindy

I've been paranoid about getting colds also, but getting pneumonia terrified me. One of the big pluses to be optomistic about the prognosis for my advanced lung cancer is that the fluid only filled my lung once. It happened the first time when I had pneumonia. I recently got the pneumonia shot and am a lot more comfortable about that now. Am even considering flying, but with a mask, I think. It's good to know the cold issue isn't a big deal either. Kasey, I don't think you're a lunatic for doing what you do to prevent picking up the cold or flu. I think about it and sometimes start but never can keep it in the foreground of my mind and follow through.

Judy in Key West

Sarah,

I think I live a bit north of you in the Mitten... I find that when I breathe cold air I get a stabbing pain in my chest. If I have forgotten my scarf, I tuck my chin down, don't speak, and hustle my buns into the nearest building. I'm almost six years out and minus the lower and middle lobe of my right lung....and it still hurts to breathe when it's cold.

Since my diagnosis, I haven't had pneumonia again and religiously get my flu shot. The colds I've had haven't been as bad as what I used to get. I think, like Kasey, I've just become a germ Nazi and don't touch a lot when I'm out. (Another hint is to not touch your face, that's how most of the germies get in!) I've found that the few times I've been sick, one of my family members have gifted me with the germ! It's tough getting malekind to wash their hands on an OCD schedule!

Just be vigilant about washing your hands, keep your hands off your face, and avoid people who are coughing and sneezing a lot. Sure, you'll seem crazy, but you'll be healthy! Besides, it's not real sane to allow someone to sneeze on you, ya know?

Thanks guys. It has helped me a great deal reading your responses. I am in Southeast Michigan so yes you are a bit North of me. I try to keep my scarf very handy. I was just a wondering. Sometimes I feel so old when I do all of this stuff, but I will take it. I got both the flu shot and the pneumonia(sp), so I know that I am fairly protected in that arena. I think I was just afraid of that unknown factor. I go tomorrow for the results of my chest x-ray and bloodwork so I think that had alot to do with the worry.

Thanks so much

Sarah

Sarah,

I can surely relate to your beathing problems in cold weather. Here in MN we have been getting hit with below zero temperatures too. I try to cover my mouth and nose with a scarf and try to direct the air down away from my glasses. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

When it is really cold, I also try to have someone shop with me and drop me at the door of the store - that works good for me.

Wendy

:D WOW!! Tooo funny! I feel soooo much better! So I guess I am perfectly normal for somebody that had lung cancer and an upper left lobectomy!! I thought I was just paranoid and I didn't care! Try and catch me touching a public door knob! NO WAY! If I'm out in public and can't help touching stuff, I'm very careful not to touch anywhere around my face too, and as soon as I get home I scrub my hands! I also got my pneumonia shot and my flu shot per OCN's orders. But I have been very fearful about getting any kind of chest cold. You guys made me feel better! Thank you!

Hi guys and gals

Thanks for all of the help, I truly appreciate it. It gives me a better understanding of what I am going through and is it a" normal" type of thing. I went to the onc yesterday and got a clean bill of health. I won't have to go back until May for bloodwork and a catscan. I have made it to 9 months post surgery and expect to go the for long haul. This website and all of my cyber family and friends totally rock.

Thanks again

Sarah

Sarah-

I too cough terribly and can't breathe well after going outside in the cold. I wrap a scarf around my mouth but that does not always help. What does help is that my doc ordered me an inhaler to use for those times and that does help quite a bit.

And about being a germ freak - hey, I wrote the book on it!!! I get a flu shot every year, have my pneumonia shot,carry a small bottle of instant hand sanitzer in my purse and have the rule that NOONE, not NOONE, comes into my house without washing their hands first thing in the doorwith anit-bacterial soap!!!!! The funny thing is that its my husband that forgets the most and has the most problem with that - LOL!!!!

Can't wait for this winter to be over and the cold and flu season gone!!!!

Hugs - Patti B.