Any good tips for drinking?

Caren

I am managing to get my dad to eat small amounts of food. Today he had 1 fried egg on 1 slice of toast with fresh orange juice (about 5oz), some Ice-cream for lunch (1 small scoop) and a small amount of Rice pudding for dinner, which is good, but I'm finding it hard trying to get enough fluids into him and from what I read this is more important than the food intake right now.

In a little under 12 hours he has consumed around 15oz (which I think is about a quarter of a liter (British Measurements)). I am pretty sure that he should consume around 2 liters, give or take a few fl oz to maintain the fluids that he would lose throughout the day. Although I'm not too sure about this.

I don't want him to become dehydrated and end up on IV fluids again and he doesn't want this either, but he won't even try to drink more. Like if I mention it he won't even take one mouthful of water to show that he's trying to help himself.

I am getting more and more frustrated with this and wanted to know if anyone has any good tips to help him drink more?

I'm afraid I am also a tough one to get to drink. I like lemonade, and also, when I take a pill, I try to drink a full glass of water. A couple of large mugs of (green, ginger, or boxed herb) tea (with a bit of sugar.) Of course, it was cold out and the tea helped warm up.

He needs more protein, if you can manage it. Will he drink smoothies - ice cream, juice, whey protein powder?

Thank you, TS.

I can understand how hard it must be for someone if they really don't feel like drinking, but at the same time if it's something that's required to maintain your state of health then I think that in my dad's case he could try just a little harder with it.

He doesn't like Smoothies but he loves Ice-cream. When you say Juice I am assuming you mean Pure Juice and not the dilutable stuff? If so then he will drink it but only a little of it. I'm not sure what Whey protein powder is and so I will do some research on that right now.

Caren, I can understand your frustation but I also know how your father feels. When I was going thru chemo and the recovery from surgery it seemed like everytime I blinked it was time to eat or drink something and it was just so hard to get anything down. Gradually it got better but I dont really remember what the turning point was. I would say just to keep doing as you are and encourage him to eat and drink but do not take it personally if he gets a little short with you. Thats the disease talking and not your dad.

Caren, would he suck on ice or ice chips? Swallowing may still be hard. My mom found that sucking on ice helped calm the soreness in her mouth and it gets more fluid in as well. I know sometimes there is also heightened sensitivity to cold, but it might be wroth a shot if you haven't already tried it.

Susan

Geesh Caren. How very frustrating for you. I don't drink as much as I should either and right before I went into the hospital in Jan I was drinking next to nothing despite my mom's best and constant efforts. I suggest just keeping a drink in front of him at all times and maybe put a straw in it so it is easier to drink. That's about all you can do so don't beat yourself up over it....the rest is up to the patient.

Sandra

Caren, I don't know much about anything, really, but I would think anything "qualifying" as a liquid could count as "fluids".

Be imaginative. I would include ice cream and soups, for example, in the fluid count. I don't see a problem with diluted fruit juices. Whatever he will drink is good.

Even beer or wine can be an acceptable choice, unless he drinks enough to cause a medication reaction. It's a liquid and even comes with the added bonus of calories!! LOL

I guess my point is, whatever he will drink is what you should go with. And some drinks can be "boosted" with a bit of nutrition, too. (Like protein powder in a shake.)

Caren,

Not sure if this is what you are (see link below) looking for. Gives you some ideas for when someone has trouble eating (as well fluids) for different reasons. Also has you father tried (comes in liquid form if I remember right) Megace? --helps when someone has a lack of appetite. Of course always run it by your doctor.

Rich

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/chem ... age8#food2 (Chemotherapy and You: Support for People With Cancer)

Hey Caren,

On a t.v. show I watched most people get 30% of their liquid requirements from food. So he is getting some liquids from that. What about watermelon or fruits? I liked watermelon and cantalope. I also went through a popsicle phase.

Dana

Thank you all for the advice.

The Ice-cream seems to be going down pretty well right now as he's had 2 bowls full today. I was also thinking of making some Jelly/Jello b/c I know he likes this and I would consider this to be a liquid.

Last night I made him some horlicks (it's a warm malted drink) with all milk and so I figure that would also be good for calories too.

He has tried a lot harder today and has already drunk one more drink than he did yesterday and he doesn't go to bed for about 3 hours yet, so he might even get one more down after the horlicks that I've just placed in front of him.

Caren, I know that any progress is progress. When I was going thru the radiation and chemo my docs had me on Maalox with lidocain to help calm the pain in my throat and also on liquid Lortab to also help with the pain. Best of luck Caren, you have alot of prayers here.

Donny