Dad just diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer...

bumbinokid

Hello to all my dad was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. The doctor didn't give him a time line of how long he has he just told him not worry and that he is in good hands. He's getting ready to do 6 sessions of Chemo that start next Wed. Hes going to do 3 and there going to do some scans see if its working and do 3 more. He hasn't even started and this has taken a toll on me I'm always positive in front of him i dont show that im worried. I'm an only child and live with my mom and dad. I have huge family from aunts to uncles to cousins were all very close. But me and my parents have always been together we do everything together they are my parents yet also my best friends. I can't explain in words how much my father means to me I honestly do not know what i would do without him in my life. He is one of the strongest people I know and I know he can fight this. Its just I do not know how to handle this I feel like im going crazy I just need some support.

Welcome to the place no one wants to be at, but are glad they found. Please let us know the details of his disease. Also the treatment plan they have for him.

You will find many stories of hope here. Cancer is a word, not a sentence. We'll do our best to support you.

Judy in MI

Hi Bumbinokid and welcome.

You are definitely in the right place. This is a wonderful group of people who will support you and your needs as well as help with the million questions you probably have. The first thing is don't look at statistics. Your Dad is an individual case and stats mean nothing. Sounds like his doc has a good plan and positive attitude in place. Please be sure to take care of yourself thru this, you will need to be strong both physically and mentally to be able to help your Dad, so it needs to be a priority to care for yourself. We understand.

Hi Bumbinokid,

Hello and welcome to LCSC,there are so many new friends here for you to meet,I am sure everyone will pitch in to help lighten your burden.I am really sorry to read of your fathers dx,and I can fully appreciate the anxiety of coming to terms with something so big arriving in your life you are so unprepared for and dont think will manage to cope.This is particularly more painful for you as in your decription of the closeness and loving relationship you have with your father.I know at this moment in time you feel utterly frustrated that you cannot take this away from your father,that there appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel.I can promise you,things do improve,try not to race ahead to the future but live for today and take one step at a time.

At the time of my dx,I had such a hard time coming to terms with it,further anxieties arrived when my oncologist went on after all my tests were complete to tell me what his action plan was for my treatments,my over imaginative brain started to dream up all kind of scenarios,will my hair fall out with the chemo(ok for the gray ones)will I suffer with excessive nausea,will my following surgery be really painful,will I be a permanently disabled person afterwards having difficulty with breathlessness?.Well as time passed and the treatments progressed,guess what? for all my anxieties nothing even close to my imaginings came true,I sailed through the lot chemo,surgery,only one episode if discomfort was constipation and I would have missed that if I had found here earlier,as the buddies here would have advised me to take lots of fluids through chemo.

Be on guard for "medical professionals" who through some twisted urge to shock you,venture to give out death sentences,I had two such people,my appointed lung nurse and my GP,both gave me unsolicited verdicts of two years max to live,well just for spite I am still here 2 1/2 years later and determined to stay around for at least another twenty years.Please pass on to youe father my very best wishes for a successful course of treatments and maybe when he feels up to it come on board here and share in the fun of the forum Morning Air.

Welcome, bumbinokid, but sorry you need to be here. You'll find lots of stories here of people who've also gone through the very scary place that this diagnosis is. For many, reading the stories of others who have and are facing this, does help.

Don't hesitate to post questions, rants, or whatever else is on your mind.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my story. I can already tell what amazing and strong people there is on these forums. The good thing I can take from this I guess is when my dad found out he somehow became even more stronger then he was before! We go in wed to start his chemo ill give you guys more info then. Thank You!

Hi bumbino,

Your Dad is lucky to have a caring kid at his side.

Chemo infusions tend to be long, boring days - depending on which drugs are prescribed. Two things that really help - if they prescribe anti-nausea drugs, he should use them as recommended - best to not wait and feel sick (tho most of us have that temptation) and second - both chemo itself and anti-nausea drugs can cause constipation. That you really don't want him to suffer from - in addition to the obvious discomfort, it can make him feel nauseous and also reduce his appetite. He wants to maintain his weight while receiving treatment. Some gain, some lose, and some of us eat ice cream to maintain.

Here's hoping his chemo is without side effects and that his cancer is very responsive!

Hey Guys just wanted to give update so my dad had his first round of chemo yesterday and when he came home he was more hyper than ever he said he felt great. So I got paper from the doctor saying what my dad has. I don't speak the doctor language so i figured i'd type it on here and maybe you all can help me with what it is. Heres what it says...

Diagnosed with stage IV NSCLC the ot had mediastinocopy and the pathology was read as Metastatic adenocarcinoma the PET scan showed multiple bilateral lung nodules with increased uptake on the R supraclavicular; R subpectoral; multiple R paratracheal; bilateral hilar;subcarinal;precranial; and prevesicular lymph nodes.

I'm not stupid but all that makes me feel stupid because i do not understand anything so please some input even positive input would be great

thank you!

Well, unfortunately, Stage IV means treatable, though not curable. At least not yet, they are working on it and things are considerably better than they were 25 years ago. There are occasional patients that are seen years out from diagnosis with no evidence of disease (NED) after treatment(s). So he can be one of those if he is very lucky.

I'm guessing your Dad received some steroids with his infusion - dexamethasone is typical. And maybe has been given some to take for a day or two after as well? Those are interesting drugs that help quell nausea and other side effects, but he may experience a crash as they wear off. So don't be surprised if he does not feel so good in a few days.

Try to get him to take it easy, but some daily activity, even light exercise, can really help his spirits and his overall health.

to bambinokid, Alan, a newcomer here too, When I was 1st dxd, they told me it was stage 4. because of attachment to spine. I was very afraid of my chances at that time. All my family and friends offered all their hopes and prayers. I accepted it all gracefully as I could but was still scared. Every emotion known to man goes through your head 24/7. I was assured that it was not a death sentence by all who were on the treatment team. I met other patients and some of their family. Everyone is facing a different foe. There are many types of lung cancer. Any 2 people with the same thing will react differently. I met a man who had "bilateral" lc. I don't remember about any mets on him though. He was finishing his treatment as I was entering mine.

That was about 2 yrs ago and he and I are both ned at this point. So stay strong for your dad. He needs you. Enjoy your time with him and encourage him along the way. Always expect twists and turns in the road. These are all wonderfull people here who truly will pray for your dad when they say they will. Take solice in this group during the fight. It truly is a fight. you get knocked down, bloodied, bruised and all that. Just remember to get back on your feet and refuse to lose.

Alan in Pa.

Make sure he is getting lots of water. You can read the posts on constipation on CancerGrace - to better understand the mechanics.

http://cancergrace.org/cancer-treatment ... stipation/

Senna (pills or tea) is good to create an urge, but tough if there is already a block. Call the oncology nurse - this is one of their favorite subjects and critical in care - really.

Be on guard for "medical professionals" who through some twisted urge to shock you,venture to give out death sentences,I had two such people,my appointed lung nurse and my GP,both gave me unsolicited verdicts of two years max to live,well just for spite I am still here 2 1/2 years later and determined to stay around for at least another twenty years.Please pass on to youe father my very best wishes for a successful course of treatments and maybe when he feels up to it come on board here and share in the fun of the forum Morning Air.

Eric, How right you are! There are those people with an MD after their name who think they can hand out timelines. Gene's pulmonary doc told us 3 months, what a jerk and how wrong he was!!! I might add that he said that with a huge wad of bubble gum in his mouth. How utterly disrespectful and unprofessional. Thankfully we found a wonderful oncologist who was positive and practically refused to talk the "stats" with us. He believed everyone is different! Bambinokid, sounds like your Dad has that same kind of oncologist, consider your lucky to have found that an MD like that. Focus on making today the best it can be!

Hey guys I have quick question I have been reading a lot and looking into things since my dad diagnose. Have any of you heard of IPT? (Insulin Potentiation Therapy) I've read up on this and it seems interesting I wanted to know what your thoughts on this is. By the way my dad is still the same there has been no changes since his 2 chemo treatments so thats good news! hes going in on May 25th and 26th i'll keep you guys posted on that and let you know how he is doing! I wanted to thank you all again this place really does help me and makes me feel so much again from the bottom of my heart I thank you all!

• 7 months later...

Hey guys I wanted to give you all update A LOT has happened since I last posted. My dad is doing good so far were currently going to cancer treatment center of America hes doing what the doctor is calling "maintenance chemo" doctor said chemo is working and my dads responding very well the doctor was shocked at how well my father was reacting with the chemo. On another note On August 8th my mother came into my room woke me up she ended up having a heart attack in my bedroom right in front of me and passed away. My mom and me were not just son and mother she was my life my best friend, everything I did I did with her we were always together and to lose her like that in front of my eyes on top of all this stress I have with my dad having lung cancer. I cannot explain to you all what im going through and feeling. Everything is on me now taking care of my dad taking him to the doctors, all the bills taking care of the house, the car and now my sick dad. I feel so lost and empty without my mother I feel like when she passed away she took my heart with her and I feel so empty inside. I do not understand why god needed to take her from me now when I needed her the most now to help with my dad. I'm sorry for this long letter I just needed to vent out to anyone who reads this.

vent away! sorry for your loss. I recently lost my dad after an extended illness and am home at Moms house taking care of her now!

It is tough but we do what we can for our parents when they need us!

I am sorry to hear about your mom. I cant imagine your pain. I can bet one thing. Your dad is very lucky to have you. My dad was just dx early dec Stage 4 lc and still dont feel its real. Stay strong and make sure to vent. I find it helpful.

My condolences on the passing of your Mother. It's really tough that you had to experience it the way you did. I'm sorry the whole load for caring for your father and all the household stuff is on your shoulders. Wishing you strength in the year to come.

Judy in KW

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear of your Mums sudden passing,please accept my condolences.My best wishes for you and your Father that 2012 will prove to be much better year for you both.

Thank You all for the comments they really do help! I wanted to give you all a update on my dad. We went in yesterday to do his chemo and also a CT scan to see how things are. We got some great news from the doctor! he said my dad's liver, kidney and white blood cells are all perfect he also said the cancer is not active and that it is stable!...I feel like this is great news which I really needed right now. Thank you god and also thank you mom for watching over us from up there you are extremely missed! i LOVE YOU!

So I don't really know where else to go to let this out but here. I have very big family from aunt's uncles and cousins they are all supporting me and are always here for me, My best friend who has been living with me and by my side 24/7 since my mom passed away left and went back home ( he only lives about 15 min away) I'm so bummed and sad by this i've grown so attached to him hes become my comfort zone. i even asked him to move with with me and my dad. I feel real lonely and sad and I can't not explain it but i hate being alone now esp at night time. I don't know what to do it's times like this I really wish i was not a only child = \