Acupuncture

Anniemac

Has anyone here tried acupuncture? I have read a couple of things lately about it helping with cancer. Anyone else heard anything about it?

Tim is doing a little better and having some good days. My niece is getting married (was going to be in Sept. but she moved it up to Jan 31 because of Tim) and Tim is going to be a groomsman. He was fitted for his tux yesterday and he went out to lunch.

He will be having some radiation next week for a rib that is causing him pain. His appetite is better and because of that, he feels better.

It's nice to have a few good thing to write about. I have been reading and keeping up with everyone, but not in the mood to post much. Everybody, please know you are always in my prayers and I'm always thinking of you.

I have not had it done for the cancer BUT I have it done for headaches I used to have several years ago. I have a friend who is a chiropractor and he does accupuncture. I had 2 car accidents close together and had some whip lash. The headaches were terrible. He had me come in and stuck me with little tiny needles and just lay there for about 1/2 hr and later on in the day the headache would be gone. WOW was I surprised. I have gone back a few times and it worked well for me. Good luck with the wedding. My son got married last Sept. and I was able to go. What a wonderful memory :D Cindy

I have a friend who is 10+ year survivior of metastatic prostate cancer. He has taken acupuncture treatments at M. D. Anderson, and they also taught his wife how to administer. It has kept his cancer at bay. He has external beam radiation initially, then surgery, then the acupuncture. Don

Annie, just a thought i have regarding Tim feeling somewhat better. First, is he still in hospice? I was talking to the dr the other night regarding Buddy and Iressa feeling worried that it hasn't started yet and he is so weak and in much pain. He said that Iressa usually takes a month or two to show some results. Maybe, just maybe the Iressa what Tim took is just now started to show some effect. Maybe you should talk with his dr and possibly take him out of hospice. Have some tests run and see if anything has changed because WHY is he feeling better......one doesn't usually feel better in hospice. I know some people can get better while in hospice but it is unusual and beings he was on Iressa he may need to get back on it.....

Norme, sorry I haven't been on more often, but we're so busy with Tim and with the wedding. Our onc said we would be able to tell if the Iressa was working within 7-10 days. It did make him feel better at first, but the scans were not good.

Tim had fluid in his lung, his ankles were swollen and he was having alot of trouble breathing. This was the day after Christmas and when I called the doc, he told me about the scans and encouraged us to use hospice. Tim took medication to remove the fluid and his breathing improved completely. He keeps swelling if we don't use the meds and I'm not sure what causes this.

Hospice told us that they have patients who live for 1 1/2 years and others who get well enough that they leave hospice. The wonderful care he is receiving is making him better. They are so responsive that if we need anything, it's there that day or the next and we don't have to go into the city to get it.

I have not given up hope for Tim to get better. I'm hoping we can build him up and take him out of hospcie and back into treatment. In the meantime, he gets his care at home.

He got a stomach flu bug a few nights ago and I was able to phone the on-call nurse at midnight. If I had needed her, she would have driven out and come to see Tim. I like that kind of care.

I hope Buddy does well on the Iressa. Many people have and I will pray that he is one of the lucky ones.

Annie

You and Tim have been on my mind. I'm glad you are getting such good help with his care and will be praying that he continues to feel well. The upcoming wedding will be such a blessing...something to think about and plan for that is "normal".