I had my annual CT scan with contrast on August 22nd and my consultation with my medical oncologist today (Aug 28th), and the result: clean scans and continued NED.

Yes I am a long tenured survivor but during today's consultation we spoke of how persistent lung cancer is.  Moreover, I learned that one cancer diagnosis often begets another.  So there is good reason for me to keep the twice yearly oncology consultations and the annual CT.

We also spend a lot of time reminiscing my time in active treatment.  Doc has a superb memory and he filled in my gaps and provided additional insight into how and why he suggested stereotactic radiation after my third line chemotherapy failure.  We also discussed the radio oncologist's aggressive treatment of Stage IV tumors in multiple locations of the body using SBRT and IMRT techniques.  This new approach is moving the survival needle for late stage diagnosed survivors to the right! 

So I'm celebrating clean scans and declare an end to scanziety for 11 months!

Stay the course.

Tom

TERRIFIC news, Tom!  And a great reason to celebrate!

I just finished reading The Emperor of All Maladies, which I started while I was in the hospital recovering from surgery.  Fascinating account of the journey to understand and treat cancer--can't recommend it highly enough to those interested in how some of these discoveries were made.  The author is a cancer researcher, but the book is a real page-turner.

Teri,

Agree, The Emperor of All Maladies is a superb read and it provides real insight into how many curative therapies evolved and a unique, and understandable explanation of the genetic nature of all cancer.  Moreover, there is a PBS television series that one can stream that features the author and covers the book's subject matter.

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom, I am so happy to read your great news!! Enjoy the next scanziety-free 11 months! Thank you for everything that you do for this community.

With INFINITE gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Great news Tom . I can't think of anyone who deserves it more.

You surely bear testimony to persistence. I've just finished giving a pep talk to the wife of my business partner. She had Breast Cancer in 2013. Never stop making appointments to see your oncologist. Ever.

Wayne