New Nodules

Shelkay1

Good morning! I've not updated on here for a while, but I have been checking in & reading other postings. I had my last round of chemo on 12/27 & it was rough going for a while after that one. I had a lower left lobectomy in September followed by 4 rounds of Cisplatin/Alimta. Went for my 1st scan following lobectomy & chemo, getting ready radiation. Unfortunately they found 2 new totally new nodules; 1 is lower right (11mm) & 1 in upper left (6mm). I am scheduled for another biopsy next Thursday on the larger one. At this point the radiation, which was to start in early February is on hold till they know what is going on.

Shelkay,

I'm so very sorry to hear your news. Indeed, you've waged a hard battle and must feel deflated to learn of this recurrence.  Unfortunately, recurrence after NED treatment is rather common for all forms of lung cancer.  

I'm not clear on where the new nodules were discovered. Are they in the lobectomy lung?

I have a lot of faith in radiation.  It likely saved my life. Ensure you have a complete discussion about the types of radiation you may be treated with.  With precision radiation, it may be possible to fry those new nodules.

Stay the course.

Tom

I’m so sorry that you are going through this.  I can’t imagine how you are feeling right now & I’m glad you did reach out to let us know. You’ve got a huge group of friends here to support you & the nations largest prayer posse.  Hugs and prayers coming your way as you go through the biopsy next week.  Hold onto your hope.  

Tom, my lobectomy was the lower left lobe; the new nodules are in the lower right & upper left. I am hoping if they are cancerous they can be zapped along with what remains along the center from the lobectomy. Now just waiting; it almost feels like it's all starting over.

Damn - sorry it wasn't better news.  My second recurrence was in the bottom of my left lung; I'd previously had a lobectomy on the upper left. With all of the chemo and radiation, I'm still surprised when any of us have a recurrence. Stupid cancer.

Sending good vibes your way.

I'm sorry, Shel--this has to be so upsetting.  They're small, still, so hopefully if they turn out to be a recurrence the docs can jump right on them.

Hang in there (I know--like there's a choice).

• 4 weeks later...

I had my biopsy on 1/31 for the nodule in the lower right lobe. It is adenocarcinoma too; they are now calling it metastatic. Based on this & the shape/size of the one in the upper left, they are thinking it probably is as well. A sample has been sent off for biomarker testing so they can come up with a new plan. The radiation that was to happen is now not an option anymore. From everything I read about this, it looks like I've probably going from a stage 2b to a stage 4. It will be ar least another week or two till the biomarker results are back. Waiting again! 1st time around I did not get a 2nd opinion, since everything seemed like the standard treatment regimen; would you suggest I get one now? 

Hi Shelkay-

I’m so sorry to hear this news. The good news here is that your bio-marker test has been sent.  I don’t think it’s time for a second opinion yet.  You’ll need the results first & the recommended treatment plan.  The waiting is the worst part of all of this.  It’s a lot of hurry up & then wait.  Unfortunately there’s no way around it but it’s about finding the right treatment plan for you.  Remember diagnosis is NOT prognosis... 

Hugs & prayers to you. 

Michelle

Archived