Suggestions?

TBone

Hi everybody,

I just got back from my onc and we decided to start radiation treatment on my lung tumor.I think we will start it Thursday.It is interfering with a nerve and causing me to loose my voice.Has anyone had the same problem or treatment?

Also,I have what feels like water on my ears.They pop all the time and it feels like a bad headcold but will not drain.He said that is a side effect of whole brain radiation.I am trying sudafed but it does no good.I have no sense of taste whatsoever.Has anyone experienced this and if so did anything help.I was eating fine until all these symptoms showed up but I really don't have an appetite for food I cannot taste.

It has been cloudy and rainy here for a few days and I think it just put me in a blue mood.Trying to stay positive about all this but it sure is hard sometimes.Love to you all.TBone

Tbone:

Glad to hear you are going to get treatements started right away.

My appetite is still pretty good, and I have not lost weight--which any other time in my life would be a sad thing--but now I am so happy about that!

I do however have a problem with my taste--anything with salt tastes like I am standing at a salt lick--yech. Dr said that is from the cancer--cancer effects so many things and it is hard to know or understand them all, I guess. So it is hard to say about your symptoms.

You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Elaine

my mom too lost her voice. it was from the vocal cords being compromised from the tumor. it never returned for her but some people here have had it come back.

mom only had WBR and it gave her a number of side effects including short term momory loss, dizziness, hair loss, fatigue, loss of appetite. Also mom had a Grand Mal Seizure which they told us could have been from the radiation but they could not make that definitive.

she never had radiation anywhere else. her tumor was too large.

Hey T,

Going through, almost the same thing, :? accept my appitites bin in the pits for 3 weeks now! I finished up WBR last Wed. and have been struggling since. Today' is better, Also, sinus issue's, headaches and very tired. I'm down to 1/2 decadron a day now and I was told this will help and was also told that after effects take 7 to 10 days. I was given chlorpheniramine for the sinus and was taking it at night. I have dreams at night of a thick juicy STEAK! :shock: ,

anyway, wanted to let you know your not alone! Best to you, and good luck wth your lung treatment.

God bless and be well!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

TBone,

Sorry to hear of your lack of taste, but given that "Y" chromosome, isn't that a given? :wink:

I'm dealing with some seasonal issues myself right now...but you already replied to that. I think spring will bring a new perspective for many of us - it's just GETTING THERE without taking anyone out! (...and I'm tellin' ya, if the ex-wife calls ONE MORE TIME this week, there'll be a mushroom-shaped cloud going up over Mid-Michigan and with my proximity to a large chemical plant, it'll probably hit the national news...)

So, craziness aside, seashore sounds in your ears WITHOUT the shell and lack of taste, what are YOUR plans for your first warm sunny day? I'm thinking of playing hookey and getting out in the dirt....

Take care, hope it's all temporary!

Becky

After my dad finished the PCI, he had the loss of appetite and weird echo sound from ear. He told me he cannot taste food and the taste of food is like Copper and Iron. He told me it was like some water floating into his ears. But these symptoms were gone from time to time. So don't worry too much. Just force yourself to eat enough for good health with your inner power of insistence..... :)

It is good you are going to start the treatment on your lung.

TBone, I can't reply with any help on the medical front, but just wanted you to know that I'm still prayin' for ya. I guess you've earned the right to have the blues now and then... but hoping you'll be feeling better (inside and out) soon.

BeckyCW

P.S. Hope the sun is shining bright tomorrow where you live!

Dear TBone,

If I may, I will add my two cents re:PCI. My beloved husband, Sam, had PCI prophlactically in December 2002. He did experience some headaches, which were relieved with OTC analegesics. His worst side effect was severe fatigue that occured around February. As well as I remember, it lasted several weeks. His memory, short and long term, remained sharp. My kids and I used to tease him and tell him that of all people, he could afford to loose a couple of brain cells. Sam was a humble, intelligent man.

Sam's radiation oncologist assured him that most side effects of PCI were temporary and would eventually subside and Sam's did. Of course, as with the treatment of this dread disease, you just have to hang in there. Wishing your symtoms will go away and praying for you during continued treatments.

A big ditto for some sunny weather 'round these parts!

God bless us all,

Sam'swifeShirley

T-Bone,

It seems that no matter if we have chemo or radiation, we have those dreaded side effects. I am glad they are addressing your lung tumor. I have never had radiation, but the loss of taste is definately a part of chemo. For about 8 days per cycle my mouth tastes like metal. The only thing I have found that tastes the way it should is peanut butter. It is different for everyone, some prefer something sweet. At least I like something that has some protein.

Good luck with your radiation treatments, I hope you soon find relief from your sinus woes.

Praying for you all....

TAnn

Hi Tbone!

It must be very hard to stay positive "all" the time. Although my husband Dave manages to stay his usual happy self most of the time he often has his "down" days, and who wouldn't. I think the people on the board who have this "beast- of- a -disease," are so courageous and my admiration goes out to them all.

I can't help you on the other problems I'm afraid, as Dave has not had radiation, but I am sure you will get lots of advice from the other guys.

Best Wishes to you and hope the grey clouds disappear soon.

Paddy