Stable?

Lin wilki

So another scan after finishing 4 rounds of Carboplatin and Alimta. Now just Alimta for maintenance. All is stable except one tumor that keeps getting tiny bit bigger. Makes me nervous. Onc, not so much. Another scan in 6 weeks then reassess  Doc wants me to calm down but just the uncertainty of this damn disease is hard to ignore

Hi Lin,

That’s actually good news, hard to imagine in this strange new world. If the chemo is affective  in stabilizing the “spots” then there’s other options for the primary tumor such as radiation down the road.  Hang in there, you’re doing better than you feel right now.  
Michelle

59 minutes ago, Rower Michelle said:

Hi Lin,

That’s actually good news, hard to imagine in this strange new world. If the chemo is affective  in stabilizing the “spots” then there’s other options for the primary tumor such as radiation down the road.  Hang in there, you’re doing better than you feel right now.  
Michelle

Thanks.  I*m just not doing well with the uncertainty.  I already had SBRT in both lungs, and it was effective.  But since I progressed, this is a new mass. Doc did mention radiation, but is hesitant since I have fibrosis from the first round.  Other options - maybe another biopsy?  Wait and see at next scan in 6 weeks.

Im very new to this site so can’t comment about the treatment. I very much understand the anxiety though. I want so much to just control the whole process. What a teacher this illness can be. I’m hoping that as time moves on I can be more relaxed. Anybody have any tricks about how to “ get on” . I hate how it is consuming my thoughts, too.

I sure can’t help you there!  My doctor can’t understand why I get upset. Stable is good. But one tumor getting bigger each scan.  She doesn’t have to live with this shi_!  So I always worry!

I guess I expected a smooth road. Shrinkage and feeling better   9 months into treatment and not smooth sailing

Everybodys cancer is different.  She has other options I probably need to calm down and take her lead. Easier said than done

hi Lin and Scruboak,

Anxiety is such a part of what we all go through regardless of what our diagnosis is.  I was diagnosed in March of 2019 and had to wait until May 2019 before I had my lobectomy.  I  can't tell you how each step along the way I would "catstrophize" about what was going to happen and how there was no hope for me, but my Lungevity Family helped me get through.  I learned to take each day on its own, stay away from Dr. Google and ask any and all questions that came into my mind.  I also found reading others' stories here really helped ground me and gave me hope because there was a full range of people with diagnosis from 1a to IV and yet many of them were doing well and had survived varied forms of treatment.  My advice therefore is simple:

1. Stay focused on today...looking into the future can only cause anxiety, especially because it has yet to be written.

2. Eat healthy and do what you need to relax; exercise, yoga, whatever floats your boat.

3.  Make sure you are actively involved in your treatment plan, you are part of the team and your doctors should be able to answer any questions you have regarding treatment protocol.

4. Read some of the "Introduce Yourself" posts as as as "Member Updates"  you'll learn a lot about what folks have gone through and how we have some great stories of survival here.

Good luck to both of you.  We're glad you found us.

Lou

I sure can’t help you there!  My doctor can’t understand why I get upset. Stable is good. But one tumor getting bigger each scan.  She doesn’t have to live with this shi_!  So I always worry!

I guess I expected a smooth road. Shrinkage and feeling better   9 months into treatment and not smooth sailing

Everybodys cancer is different.  She has other options I probably need to calm down and take her lead. Easier said than done

Lou. Thanks for the uplifting words. I try to live a day at a time but I feel so crappy these days. Nerve pain from fractured rib. Being in constant pain is draining!  Started Gabapentin and hoping it helps the pain

If I can get the pain behind me I can go back to giving each day its fullest attention. I have 2 grandsons that I see at least once a week and I should be fully “there “. 

I am spending some time in the poor me place. I’ve got to step out of it

Lin wilki,

I fully understand.  BTW, after my surgery I started feeling a lot of nerve pain and Gabapentin was a lifesaver.  I hope it will work for you as well.  And...we all go through our "pity parties", but you can get past it.  Having the pain reduced will help and don't hesitate to do what it takes to reduce pain, you'll be much more clearheaded afterward.

You can do this, it is not easy, but it is worth it.  And soon you'll be having a ball again with your grandsons.

Lou

Hey Lin,

At least you didn't ask your oncologist for a neurology consult to have a lobotomy.....I did and it was in jest, but I truly was up to my eyeballs in WTF moments. Enough of them and any sane person with warm red blood running thru their veins wants to tap out. ENOUGH ALREADY of the uncertainty, of the annoying pains, infusions, of the labs and scans and medical interventions. I totally get it. But I also know, somewhere in the deep recesses of my being, that in time, a wave of hope and joy enters my life and I reboot. The ups and downs we can expect as part of this C hand we've been dealt. Hang tight, enjoy those grandbabies and do your best, that's all we can ask of ourselves.

Take Care, DFK

I've been doing pretty good with the anxiety for the last couple of weeks, but will admit that I am feeling some today. Tomorrow I will start Chemo. Guessing I wont sleep much tonight 

But, I am sticking with the one day at a time routine. Has worked well so far.

Peace

Tom

TJM,

When you can please let us know how your treatment went.  Fingers and toes are crossed for you.

Lou

Thanks Lou. First day went well. Came home and fell asleep pretty quick. Wife told me I was sleeping so well she called a friend of ours battling Breast cancer to make sure it wasn't an issue!

I'll post an update today...but so far so good.  Appreciate your thinking of me 

Tom

Archived