Hello From NY

Curt

It has been a crazy month.   It started off with me going to a conference in Las Vegas at the end of February, returning the first week of March to absolute madness in NY.  I’ve been completely consumed with what and how to handle my company and employees through this and my own health has taken a back seat.  I have to keep reminding myself that I am an at risk, compromised person.  I don’t know why that work sink in.  I was told someone at the conference had tested positive so I qualified for being tested.  It was negative.  Driving through a large, military like testing facility was like something out of a movie.  I actually cried for the people who were there working and for society as a whole that we were at that point.  I’m petrified of getting the virus and equally petrified of what this is going to do socioeconomically to the country.  I believe that aftermath will result in as many deaths as the virus itself.  After I wade through the stress of running a business and keeping my family safe  through this I often have no energy left and pass out at the end of the day.   I think about everyone on here often and hope you are all doing as well as you can be.  Stay safe.  

You are in the thick of it in New York!  Stay safe.  Good luck keeping your business and employees taken care of.

I know it’s a hassle trying to figure out what loans you are entitled to. Try not stressing out too much —. You have to stay healthy 

This is such a frightening time. Hope very soon there is light at the end of the tunnel

Curt,

The way I look at things, if one has the courage to face lung cancer then COVID-19 is a piece of cake.

Once I was afflicted by engineer's disease. This malady causes the afflicted to believe that one could control all things except human beings. So, when I started lung cancer treatment, I applied engineering methods to treatment and outcomes and failed, miserably.

After my second recurrence, I needed a reset---a new way to order my life. My new way was to only worry about those things I (personally) could control. Life has been much easier since adopting that method.

As lung cancer survivors we are beset by uncertainty. COVID-19 is just another factor. Don't bother about uncertainty; focus on your life in this moment and forget the rest. COVID will do what it does and all you can do is stay out of the way.

Stay the course.

Tom

Curt

Thanks for the update.  I have been wondering how you were doing.  I have a sister in law that lives in Brooklyn. She went from making fun of COVID, but now is on full lockdown.

Hope things turn out well with your business. Hopefully NYC has flattened the curve some and things get back to normal. Take advantage of Uncle Sam as much as you can.

And, as an Engineer as well, I agree with Tom regarding how we operate. I'm not yet to his zen like place but I will get there.

Peace

Tom

Hi Curt, 

You've been in my thoughts every time they talk about Long Island.  NY does look like a bad movie scene these days.  I'm grateful you got out of Las Vegas before it really hit the fan, that's one place I will look forward to never having to go back there.  Even before cancer I thought the city was a giant Petri dish.  

My sister also owns a business in Short Hills, she said the main drag is like the zombie apocalypse now.  She's also attempting to wade through the SBA process to take advantage of whatever the government has to offer to keep the business afloat.  It's not easy.  

I hear what you are saying, for you this is like a triple whammy, family, business and lung cancer, now this stupid virus.  As the Toms pointed out, we only have one direction to go, that's forward, every day.  Having a bad day, well, by now we're all experts at hitting a reset button.   

How are your boys holding up with the home schooling?   Be well and hunker down as best you can. 

Michelle 

Archived