New & scared

Tbaker

I had a ct scan about a month ago for something else and that's when it was first noticed. Went back had another chest ct scan. I then saw a pulmonary doctor after that I had seen the thoracic doctor.  I feel I'm in very good hands with these doctors. Thoracic doctor has scheduled me for a divinci biopsy to see what kind of cancer it is.  Also my stage is questionable, there is a spot close to or in the lining of the lung. Doctor said if it has not penetrated the lining stage 3 and he said very curable, if it has penetrated then stage 4, but it has not spread outside my lung then it was very treatable and containable. I try to stay positive as I can. But needless to say no matter what stage I'm scared to death. 

Hi there,

Glad you found us and very sorry you have to be here. In the beginning, everyone is absolutely terrified.  What we think of is someone’s Grandpa who passed from lung cancer when in reality, lung cancer today to treated like a chronic condition due to the many advances in treatment. 
Try not to focus on Stage too much, these days Stage is a number that helps drive the treatment plan. It’s important to remember that diagnosis is not prognosis. 

Part of the biopsy needs to include something called comprehensive bio-marker testing.  There are many different subtypes of lung cancer so it’s important to know in order to have a personalized treatment plan. 

Take this hour by hour, day by day, one test at a time.  Ask us anything.  There are many long term survivors here.  You’re not alone. 
Michelle

Michelle gave excellent advice.  I'm glad you found this group, it is filled with great information and stories of survivors.  Here is Lung Cancer 101 which might help you as you navigate the next steps.  https://lungevity.org/for-patients-caregivers/lung-cancer-101  Please keep us updated on your biopsy, we are here to support you!

Hi Tbaker and welcome,

I agree that Michelle has, as usual, given excellent advice. Hang in there! We've been where you are now. Keep posting!

BridgetO

TBaker,

Welcome to the forum.  You've already met a few of our folks here and already heard some good advice, so I'll just tell you my experience and the outcome.  I had a CT Scan for a kidney stone...that turned up a nodule that needed further examination.  A PET Scan was inconclusive, a CT Guided Biopsy couldn't be done because of the small size and the location of the nodule, so they had me wait for close to three months and then redid the scan.  At that time the nodule had grown and so it was decided to do a wedge resection (take a small wedge of lung out with the nodule and test it for malignancy).  All throughout that process (remember almost three months) I "catastrophized" about every possible negative outcome possible.  It was after I came here and began to read some of the stories of the other folks (Tom, Curt, Bridget, Michelle, Lexie, etc.) did I begin to understand that my diagnosis was not the certain death sentence I believed it to be.  

Well..they did my surgery, the nodule was malignant and they removed my lower-right lobe.  My lymph nodes were clean and there were excellent margins around the tumor and, so far, every test I've had indicates NED (No Evidence of Disease),  that is as close to a cure as you can get.  So, my coaching is to read some of the stories here, learn a bit about other's experience, stay away from Google (data is not current on survival rates), and ask questions of your medical team and us here.  With knowledge comes power and once you have a treatment plan you'll do better than you expect and regardless of what your treatment is someone here has already gone through it and can offer counsel.

Stay strong and you'll get through this.

Lou

Thank you for such a warm welcome and all the advice. I'm sure I'll drive you folks crazy with questions. 

I have a pulmonary test next week 21 and an appointment with the doctor on the 23rd before  my divinci biopsy on 27th.  I'm not sure what to with the pulmonary test or the biopsy. I told my husband that doesn't matter what stage I am I have cancer and I'm going to fight this with everything I have in me.

That’s the right approach! Now you need a strong battle plan- consider starting with the book by Lorenzo Cohen PHD, “Anti-Cancer Living” and long term lung cancer survivor Greg Anderson’s “Cancer: 50 Essential Things To Do” 

Give yourself some time to adjust to whatever the new normal becomes.  It’s a wild ride no one wants to take however we’re all here with plenty of experience to guide you through.  

Lock and load.  
Michelle

Archived