Bad Scan Day/Result...

MBinOregon

Hey everyone,

well, I had my appointment with rad onc (who orders & reviews the scan result) was 2 hours after the scan and he's never been "running late".  The appointment with him was virtual, so I logged in 40min before the appointment (cuz. anxious. need I say more?) and started to wait.... then 10 min before the appointment his office called me to say "he's running late" - so of course I argued and found out he's waiting for the report (he never did before, rather just told me what HE saw on the scan).  Uh oh.

About an hour after the appointment time, he called me.  Turned out he was concerned over what he saw so he wanted to wait til the report came out AND also talk to the radiologist first.  He said they're "very, very concerned that the cancer came back" (his words).  I blurted out, "but I only have one lung left". Sigh.  "The presentation is odd" although he's seen it before, there is a chance (although he didn't sound confident) that it's "just junk", so he wants to do a PET scan... so now I hope and pray NOTHING lights up and let all be "just junk"....

Just like that, dang water works started again. Dang it.

MB

MB,

Damn along with George Carlin's 7 words one can't say on TV!

I am hoping and praying that junk is clouding the scan! I'm really, really hoping nothing lights up on a PET. But, even if it does, I had only one lung when my "junk" turned to three tumors. That was 16 years ago and I'm still here. If I can live, so can you. OBTW, you are still "officially" NED so do something you enjoy!

Stay the course.

Tom

Oh man.  That’s not the result any of us were expecting!  Here’s a virtual tissue and a hug.  Of course the water works are running full time.  I’m sure you feel like it’s like starting all over.  Was it you that once said, don’t open the umbrella until it’s raining out?   Did they do a COVID test?  My nurse told me they started seeing abnormal CT scans at their clinic  in early January, lung junk.  We now know it was early COVID.  

I will lend you my fight song- at first I thought it was just the jeep commercial but then realized I was living under some rock: we are the pioneers, mutineers and the rebels... go forth and have no fear.... we love you!  Totally here for you. Every step of the way.  

Urgh, nothing like waking yourself up from a nightmare where you're dying and saying the final good byes to everyone, then realize the reality is rather gloomy and the stupid water works restarting at 5am is... just so... urgh.

@Tom Galli - Tom, thank you as always.  You're the only one with one lung that I know of.  You're the one who's been there for me from my very first posting.  Throughout my first go around (the surgery, the radiation, and the whole ick), when the things got bad, I reminded myself of your "If I can live, so can you".  I appreciate your wisdom and encouragement so much, I don't even know what to say.  Thank you.

@Rower Michelle - Michelle, thank you for being my cheerleader although you're NOT allowed to throw my own words (yes, I did say the umbrella bits) back at me (LOLOLOL).  I'll definitely ask about covid. Thank you for lending me your fight song - I, too, thought it was a song made for Jeep commercial.  I cried the whole time listening to the song... sigh.

Dawned on me last night that no, this doesn't suck as bad as my initial diagnosis.  Cuz after my diagnosis on 12/20, I spent Christmas feeling utterly alone and lonely (that was the one of the very few times I'd ever felt lonely) - I didn't know about this forum back then and I literally had no one.  Now I have you guys, my cancer mentor in Chicago and a few friends here.  So thank you for the support...

MB

MB

Deep breath. Hold it. Again.

I am sorry it took so long for a reply but sometimes words become difficult. I will state the obvious tho. You have been through this before and came out the other side. You can do it again. Cry your eyes out, smoke some pot, get drunk and pork out on some really unhealthy food.

Then strap the helmet back on and kick this "junks" arse!

Your in my thoughts.

Peace

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update - it took me several days to wrap my head around this...

Had a PET last Monday and my rad onc called later that day with the result that pretty much confirmed the CT findings - "very concerning".  He said he'd bring my case to the weekly tumor board on Friday.  At least I had somewhat prepared myself for this news, so I was back to my "let's do this!" mode (ok, more or less).

Then late in the afternoon on Friday, my med onc called and started explaining both PET and CT scans.  (My rad onc starts with "it's good", "it's bad" THEN he explains which I love, but NOT my med onc... sigh)  2mins into it, I had to interrupt him with "are you going to drop a bomb or is this somehow leading into good news? I'm very confused."  He seemed surprised by my confusion 🥴 and said "I'm giving you a good news!"

So, they (the docs on tumor board) looked at my scans together and the main radiologist (who wasn't the reviewer for my scans) said they (the things/junk/whatever) have been there a while and although they light up, apparently they don't light up like neon signs (my words) including the one(or ones? I can't remember) on the lymph node(s?) on my right armpit.  So the radiologist suggested that rather than putting me through an invasive biopsy, let's watch and they all agreed.  My med onc added "so you're not out of the woods yet, but this is good news, you should be smiling" (well, I was crying at this point from such a relief) So I'm back to 3-month scan schedule (was on 6-months schedule until this drama, but I'm not complaining).  So I'm back to "hey, let's try to live my life" and I'm grateful for it.

Thank you for all your support with every one of my sad moment and happy moment 🥰

MB

Yep I have said before this lung cancer thing is quite the roller coaster ride and I really HATE and am terrified of most roller coasters!  Those you can choose to terrify yourself —. no choice with cancer. Get in and prepare for the ride!

Glad you got some good news - sit tight and enjoy!

MB,

I've been watching your thread and am with Michelle "hooray for junk".  I realize that you're now "out of the woods" yet, but now is the time to relax and enjoy life each day.  Don't think about the future but focus on the now and enjoy it.  I realize it's not as easy as I make it sound.  I've had to do it so I understand that, but I can tell you that it is helpful.  Stay strong and keep moving forward.  

Archived