VATS or Thoracotomy for 2 lobes at same time

Hello, I am facing lung surgery. Had a biopsy on upper right lobe--inconclusive, but mentions Atypical Adenomatous Hyperplasia: AAH and a well-differentiated  lepidic-type adenocarcinoma in situ (AIS). I also have an area in lower right lobe that has been stable for 16 years but is now showing more "activity" on PET scan. It has not been biopsied

Have met with 1 surgeon who says he would take out both areas at same time--fine by me--get them out! He would do wedge resections, probably removing about 1/5 of each lobe. He says, and I agree, it will be 1 procedure to accomplish both removal and biopsy, instead of another biopsy then follow with surgery.

NOW, the news I didn't want--he says he'd do a Thoracotomy, which I don't want. I expected he'd do VATS so was surprised. I have appointment with another doc next week and am hoping he will offer VATS. IF both docs say it HAS to be Thoracotomy, I have no choice. From everything I read and hear and see here, VATS is the way to go if you can.

I am trying to find out if VATS can be done on both lobes at same time? seems it should be able to, but I can't find anything online. Has ANYONE had VATS on 2 lobes?

ALSO, have those of you with wedge resection and VATs been able to fly on planes OK? That is a concern also.

REALLY would appreciate any info. you might provide---personal experience is always better to learn from than what you read or even what the docs gloss over...THANK YOU!!

Hi and welcome!

I agree that VATs  is the way to go if you can. I'd want some really good explanation before agreeing to a thoracotomy. I had a lower right lobectomy by  VATS in November 2016 and was able to fly comfortably in February of 2017. I don't know if a wedge would be different.

I hope you find someone on here who's had 2 wedges and who can give you more info.

Bridget 

Thank you Bridget--I am glad to hear that flying was no issue for you---wedge is less area removed, so "should" be OK...fingers crossed for next week's app't--since it is with docs at highly regarded cancer center, I have to believe they WILL know best, even if I don't like the answer.

thanks again for your response and hoping you are still doing well after your surgery

Martha

Hi PurpleGolfChic

Like Bridget I had a full lobectomy via robotic VATS and healed very well.  My diagnosis was Stage 1a and my lung surgeon recommended the lobectomy.  I asked him why we didn't do a wedge resection for a tumor that was 8x11mm and he believed that the "gold standard" for best outcome was the lobectomy, so I went with it and so far I have remained clean and clear (I have my annual scans next week).  So I am going to suggest that when you see the second surgeon you focus on two things; first, does a wedge resection offer the best opportunity of no remission and second could be your question on VATS versus the J Incision.

I'm happy to go with the treatments the doctors recommend and believe you can take advantage of the second opinion to confirm both the approach and the process.  All my best to you on this and please ask any questions you may have as we have a great group here with a lot of combined experience.

Lou 

thanks, Lou. 1st I'd like to say so happy you are doing well from your surgery

Lobectomy is out because of 2 places--one on upper lobe and 2nd is a bit larger in bottom lobe.....don't want 2 lobes removed!

I appreciate your info. and suggestions and it has given me more ideas for my question list---which is growing longer! the 1st surgeon did not tell me why he wouldn't do VATS and since that was what I expected, I was taken by surprise and didn't think of some things I should have asked....just glad i have a 2nd opinion appointment next week.

thanks again and hope things continue to go well for you.

Martha

Hi Martha,

I had my lower left lobe removed with VATS surgery in Sept 2017 and my upper right lobe was removed October 2017 by Thoracotomy because the mass was 9.7cm big and the surgeon couldn't do it with VATS. Sometimes when they get in there, they have to be ready to switch from VATS to thoracotomy. So, I have 3 lobes now. Recovery was definitely harder with the thoracotomy but there really wasn't a choice as it was decided during the surgery. I did fly the end of Dec. 2017 to the Bahamas prior to beginning chemo. I don't remember there being an issue with flying!

Best of luck,

Ro

I'd ask the surgeon, but I'm guessing that, given the two locations, VATS isn't practicable--they'd probably have to do them separately and maybe that's considered too risky. I'm just guessing--I'd ask him to explain. 

Well, I'm not doing so well right now--I'm in limbo trying to find out how bad my recurrence is. That doesn't mean anything in terms of what YOU will experience--hopefully you will be one of those people who goes through treatment and never has to look back--there are a lot of them around!

I am so sorry to hear this, Lexie--waiting is so bad---I pray your recurrence will be as little and mild as possible. fingers crossed and prayers for you....do keep us updated.

I had an upper left lobe (70%) removed by vats in 2007. Four days after I was discharged from hospital and took a 11/2 hour flight home. I even made it more difficult by putting my pain meds in the checked in baggage!  The 2 separate lobes may be why they are not saying vats. 

Archived