Second opinion

Tbaker

So after the last meeting with my oncologist I think it's time for a second opinion, it wasn't just this last appointment. I had asked him about biomarker testing, his response was without hesitation No you dont need it! There have been other things along the way I've asked about.

When he bluntly said 30% of a chance it will even work, my husband lost it he is a very emotional guy. The doctor got up and left the room, leaving the door open. Why not close it half way so my husband could pull himself together? 

Anyways my sister in law  (an RN) was telling both her son and daughter in law about the diagnosis we left with. 

The first thing my niece asked, did they do any biomarker on me? Sister told them what I told her. 

Needless to say we will be going to the U of M for another opinion. Even if they come to the same if the doctors come to the same conclusion then it is what it is. I just know I'm not going down without a fight. 

You definitely need a second opinion!  My pulmonologist did the biomarker testing when he performed my bronchoscopy so the oncologists could form a treatment plan. 

You deserve a medical team that will fight with you. Let us know how U of M goes. 

I agree. I dont know how or why my doctor would give in so easily  so to speak. He has me on gemzar four treatments.

He gave me 30% it works. 30% is 30% I'll take it

So last night I was watching the evening news and saw a commercial for Foundation One.   Even biomarker testing has gone mainstream.   

Definitely time for a second opinion maybe even a third if you’re willing to travel to one of the big guns.   Keep pushing until you are satisfied with a medical team. 

I’m really sorry you had one of those crash & dash docs.   

Wow!! You have to wonder if some of these Dr’s become desensitized or they’re a$$ holes to start with? 

Everyone that has posted before me is right, you need a second opinion.  When you say U of M, what facility is that?  I see you live in California.  I would also give feedback about this particular Doctor.  They should t be allowed to treat patients if they can’t display some kind of human decency and compassion.  Good luck to you,

Babs

I sat her and wondered to myself if he just wasn't prepared with the emotional out burst of my husband?  Or maybe it's a part of his job he doesn't do well with? Either way I need a second opinion. I dont mind drive. I could drive there and back blindfolded. My mom had a liver transplant there, needless to say I was there a lot.

I believe some docs aren’t well equipped to deal with the heavy emotion, it’s a defensive mechanism for self preservation. They would otherwise break and not be able to do their jobs well.   If the doc’s a brilliant clinician, I’m willing to give them a pass on empathy, but not if they graduated at the bottom half of their class.  

I know I'm really glad I went for a second opinion and switched doctors. 

This stuff is too important to settle for care you're less than confident about. Not that you need to be convinced a proposed treatment will work (that always comes down to luck, to a large extent, given the state of knowledge), but confidence that the doctor will be up on the latest research and have sound judgment. And even if empathy is less critical than competence, it sure is nice when there's at least a modicum of it.

So happy that you are going to U of M for a second opinion!  You need team that you feel comfortable with and U of M has some amazing doctors.

Good luck!

Archived