CT scan showed 1.9 cm nodule

Cin

Hello everyone,

61 yo female, 40+ year former smoker here.

So 1.5 weeks ago my CT scan showed a nodule, and just this past Monday I met with the thoracic surgeon for the first time.  Not the best bedside manner, but he's with Dana Farber so YES.  He said it is growing slowly (good news) and he wants to hold off on surgery until March due to covid. So I left feeling this was good news -- again this is all new to me.  It can be surgically removed so step one is positive.

the following day, this last Tuesday, I had a PET scan and am still waiting for those results. I have a telephone appointment scheduled with him next Monday, but the wait is killing me!  I hoped the results would show up on the patient portal, but no. Does that mean bad news?  Does it mean anything? I smoked for over 40 years and, although I don't cough, I often have a sore throat.  So NOW I'm worried about throat cancer and lay in bed thinking about my sore throat. It almost feels like my tonsils did as a teenager.  Does a PET scan include the throat?

I hate the anxiety coming back like this .... the feeling of absolute dread that I just can't shake.  All this has happened (CT, pulmonologist, thoracic surgeon and PET scan) in less than two weeks. I live alone, and nights are scary which isn't helping.  Who am I kidding, days are scary too.

Hi Cin: Welcome to our group. It is very normal to be anxious while waiting. We all went through it and it is not nice.

First things first: You can always find another surgeon that might operate sooner.

As for the Pet scan result, you will be better off receiving the info from him directly because you don't have the knowledge and experience to understand what they mean. Not seeing them on the portal does not mean good or bad news. It is just a procedure they follow.

There are many reasons for a sore throat among them allergies, cold, Coronavirus and heart burns.  I hope you quit smoking already.

Waiting is difficult but worrying about what might happen does not make it any easier.  Besides, there is nothing you can do to change the outcome and hopefully you will receive good news when you see your doctor.  Please also understand that lung cancer is not a dead sentence anymore and we have many survivors on this site. Make sure to post back and let us know the results. I wish you the best.

The PET scan will provide more accurate information. Personally, if the PET indicates the nodule is probably cancerous, I wouldn't want to wait till March to have surgery. It may be slow-growing but three months is a long time when you know there's a cancerous nodule. This isn't an emergency--you don't have to have surgery in the next two weeks or anything--but I'd suggest checking around for an earlier date. Again, assuming the nodule lights up on the PET scan.

First of all, I should have told you I had a CT scan about 15 months ago, so the slow growth must be REALLY slow.  I think that's why he thinks three months vs covid exposure is safe. He also said he did not want me to take up a covid bed unless he felt I had to.  The hospitals are full, and I'm sure he is treating folks who are still feeling the effects of covid. He seemed ragged and worn out, I suspect he lost a patient that day.

I am seeing Dr Ducko at the Dana Farber Cancer Center (Weymouth MA) and i think I'm in good hands.  I'm just worried  is about the PET scan results.  I know, I know, I just have to wait ... But I appreciate your responses

Hi Cin. I can sympathize with your anxiety. You must wait for the PET scan results before you make any assumptions about your treatment. One thing I've found out with cancer (I've had 4 diagnoses of cancers in breasts, thyroid and lung, and of 5 cancers) is that cancer treatment is so varied and changes so fast that you must have patience and you must accept that things can change in both your diagnosis and in the treatment options. No matter what you've heard or what you read, your case is completely unique to you, and things could change in a minute. My lung cancer was discovered after CT scan and nodule was followed until it grew. A biopsy showed adenoma, a PET scan showed no metastasis to lymph nodes or other body regions. Surgery was scheduled to remove the lower right lobe, 5 days in hospital, and we waited on pathology before deciding on treatment. Well, pathologist found another cancerous tumor in the removed lung lobe, one that had hidden and was not seen at biopsy or Scans. First I was told it was a serious small cell type and would require strong chemo and concurrent radiation on the same day. But unbeknownst to me, my oncologist had a gut feeling and was not satisfied with the diagnosis of that second tumor, so she sent my case to the weekly tumor board. I showed up the following Monday prepared for my first dose of chemo/radiation and she told me that the treatment was off, that the board found that it was a rare neuroendocrine carcinoid, not small cell, and removing it along with the lobe was all the treatment I needed!! Talk about good news!! The other thing is that my oncologist is not always the most personable woman and is sometimes annoying and impatient, but I would not change because I have the utmost respect for her knowledge, training, dedication, and her "gut feelings".  I now have another nodule in the former middle right lobe that is being watched and scanned every 3 months. Next time, next month, is an annual PET scan, so we'll see what's going on there. I am a 77 year old female living proof that cancer is not a death sentence, and that cancer is like Murphy's Law: if anything can change, it will! Best wishes! Mamma-Om

I had a PET scan of my lungs to rule out lung cancer. My thyroid showed up on my PET scan and was lit up, so I assume your throat would as well. A tumor in my right lower lobe lit up as well. It turned out I had lung cancer and thyroid cancer, unrelated.  

I would try to do surgery before March, as sometimes these tumors can grow quickly, like mine did. What did he think about your throat discomfort?

Good Luck!

JC63

Cin,

Welcome here. You've met some of us and have received valuable insight. I would however suggest you contact the PET ordering physician and have the scan area adjusted to include the lower jaw through the entire neck. Your report of bothersome sore throat ought to be checked.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Cin - the waiting can be the most challenging thing, managing the emotions and worry.  It was almost 2 months from my diagnosis to surgery and it was a loooooong 2 months!

So, was the nodule there in your scan 15 months ago? Or was it not there 15 months ago and is a new discovery at 1.9cm now?

I had a 9mm nodule in 2016 that was fairly stable but grew 2mm in early 2020 and that's what prompted the decision to biopsy it.  The biopsy showed adenocarcinoma, and then the PET scan was done.

Sounds like you have a good team at D-F!

I can so understand how you feel.  I also live alone and wonder how I will get through if I need help with anything. I finished my first radiation and chemotherapy treatments last week and feel worse than I ever have with the sickness and chest burn. Have spent the last 7 days over Christmas sitting in my recliner,  I do get up and cook with a fuzzy head. I am taking zero pills so they are not to blame.  I go back Jan 18th for retesting,  I don’t think I will go through anymore feeling like this!  For those that have families, treasure them.  

I also have Neoecrodin large cell lung cancer that was not identified prior to the surgery. We all assumed it was a normal NSCLC and surgery would fix it.  My team all agreed that Chemo was indicated, and most agreed radiation as well. If you have the same type of tumor you will find it is very rare and there are few clinical studies.

At this point my first three month scan showed some abnormalities, but we all agree that it is most likely scar tissue so are in a wait and see mode.  They treated me as if I had SCLC, and from what I have found the prognosis is similar.

I will post as I progress in my treatment. My advice? Get chemo. Watch it close. If I could have a do over I would not do the radiation for many reason.

You are in my thoughts and I will keep track of your posts. We are in a small subset of the lung cancer world.

Peace

Tom

1 hour ago, zara1305 said:

I can so understand how you feel.  I also live alone and wonder how I will get through if I need help with anything. I finished my first radiation and chemotherapy treatments last week and feel worse than I ever have with the sickness and chest burn. Have spent the last 7 days over Christmas sitting in my recliner,  I do get up and cook with a fuzzy head. I am taking zero pills so they are not to blame.  I go back Jan 18th for retesting,  I don’t think I will go through anymore feeling like this!  For those that have families, treasure them.  

I totally understand where you are at. That's what makes this board special. We aren't doctors, we are victims. Only victims can truly comprehend.

My advice, FWIW, is to "stay the course" and as best you can power thru this ordeal.  I am finally starting to feel normal, 10 months after surgery.  Treatment can payoff. Your in my thoughts 

Peace

Tom

Archived