Scanziety? not yet!

BridgetO

I have my annual surveillance CT scan tomorrow. And I'm not anxious!  The hospital called me to set an appointment just a few days ago, and I've been pretty busy the last few days and it hasn't occured to me to be anxious, or maybe I just haven't had time to. Maybe I'll worry while I'm waiting for results.

Omicron is making me a bit nervous, though. I've been vaccinated--3 shots.  I'm working on call in a homeless shelter. (typically 3 days a week) and I wonder whether I'm at too much risk with this new contagious variant. I'm wearing a pretty good mask all the time and when possible keeping distance from others. Everybody is masked, but some people have masks hanging below their noses at times. It's part of my job to remind them. It's not part of my job to remind other staff though and there's one chronic saggy-masker who I've reminded a bunch of times. He pulls the mask up, but it doesn't stay there. Very frustrating.  Maybe  I have Omicronziety.

Bridget,

So glad to hear that your not anxious about the scan.  I'm okay until after it's done, then I usually get pretty restless about wanting the results.  Regarding Omicron; you're doing all you can.  This variant is extremely contagious so none of us may get past it unscathed.  But, the good news is that it is considerably weaker than 19 or Delta so let's pray that if we do get it that it treats us just as gently.  Fingers and toes crossed for your scan results.

Lou

Bridget,

Omicronziety! That is a good one. I'd copywriter it.

Omicron is making me nervous also. It may be less severe for normal folks but my physiology is not normal. So, I am still isolating. We did break our isolation for New Years Eve. We have a couple who are close friends and have a tradition of 20 years of New Years Eve dining. We called off last year's celebration but we know an establishment owner and arranged a 4:30 PM seating in hopes of occupying an almost unoccupied space. Indeed, we were the only customers. But, 4 days later, I got a text message saying our friends had tested positive for breakthrough COVID. My test was negative and I lucked out but am not pressing my luck anymore.

I'm indoors till the mayhem subsides.

I'm crossing fingers and toes for clean scans and NED!

Stay the course.

Tom

I'm with you, Tom. I've had anxiety throughout this pandemic and for more than 2 years now have had limited exposure to the outside world. Luckily here in California, mask mandates are back and I'd say there is 95% compliance everywhere. However, too many people are still wearing cloth masks or wearing masks poorly. Upgrade, people! 

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/photos/2022/01/shop-these-n95-and-kn95-face-masks-to-help-keep-you-safe-in-2022

Ahhh - the mask under nose-thing drives me mad. Almost more than non-mask wearers, as I can at least try to believe that they are exempt. One of my oncologists is a mask-slipper!

As mentioned elsewhere, I caught COVID over Christmas, and was fairly ill for 3-4 days. Same happened to many, many of my friends, family and neighbours. I’d of course still urge extreme caution for all of us, but I noted that none of my vaccinated friends had any lung involvement at all. No cough, just body aches and headaches. So seems this omicron is potentially less scary for us than previous versions. The Delta was pretty awful in terms of cough, and I am hoping that particular variant will be gone soon.

4 hours ago, Judy M2 said:

I'm with you, Tom. I've had anxiety throughout this pandemic and for more than 2 years now have had limited exposure to the outside world. Luckily here in California, mask mandates are back and I'd say there is 95% compliance everywhere. However, too many people are still wearing cloth masks or wearing masks poorly. Upgrade, people! 

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/photos/2022/01/shop-these-n95-and-kn95-face-masks-to-help-keep-you-safe-in-2022

Judy,

I listened to some or our LUNGevity folks on FB and ordered a DNA Mask (company is DNA).  It's cloth but it is 5 layers and has the same particle resistance as an n95 (98.5%).  It's definitely more heavy duty than any normal cloth mask I've worn and it works both through physical filtration as well as electrostatic...  So, it is possible that other masks you would classify as "cloth" may be just as effective and definitely more effective than the surgical masks (11% effective) many people wear.  My daughter is a practicing nurse and she said she wears n95 custom fitted mask, goggles, face shield, cap, gown and gloves and many of the staff still get Covid.  We can only do the best we can.

Lou

Thanks Lou, will look into it. I'm seeing the same cloth masks that everyone wore at the beginning of this mess when N95s were being reserved for healthcare workers. 

First - fingers and toes crossed for NED! That would be the best way to start the year. I am also concerned about the new variant. We've reverted to curbside or delivery for everything again. I had a pulmonologist appointment last week. He said that based on data he's seen, this should peak by the end of the month. I know that you all feel the same - I'm just tired of this. But I did not survive lung cancer to lose to the virus. So home I stay....

Well , I had my CT yesterday.  Today, I learned that I had possible exposure at work. And guess who it is that has covid? The notorious saggy-masker I talked about in my first post. I'm livid! First about his saggy-masking. Second , that the agency wasn't doing anything effective about his saggy-masking. Third, that he wasn't  quarantining  or at least keeping distance and wearing an N-95 or similar mask, since his wife has covid. Fourth (this one iis rumor, the first 3 definitely true ), that he hasn't been vaccinated. If true, this is an agency "oversight", since we're required to submit proof of vaccination. I'm sure there's a fifth and a sixth that I haven't thought of yet.  I had to leave work and go get a rapid test. I should get results by the end of the day. I've tried to find an appointment for a PCR test in a couple of days (5-7 days after exposure is recommended) , but I can't find any until about 6 days from now. My health plan clinic won''t even schedule one if you have no symptoms.

So Omicronziety is definitely overriding any scanziety I have.  

Bridget,

Sorry to hear this.  Please remember that a lot of people are showing negative on rapid testing and positive with PCR so if you develop symptoms please insist on a PCR.  I know they're crazy to get right now, but seek help from your Oncologist or whoever you have some sway with.  And whether that guy has the vaccine or not is irrelevant now...your concern needs to be your health.  Hell, if he has Omicron we already know the vaccine does little to prevent that variant.  Focus on the PCR and if you have symptoms, make sure you contact your doctor early.  There is so much that can be done to prevent progression.  Meanwhile, you know we will all be thinking, praying and pulling for you.  You'll get through this.  Then you can go and "pop ole droopy mask" in his exposed nose.  :)

Lou

Well, I'm negative on the rapid test. No symptoms at present. If I develop symptoms I'll go get another rapid test, get the earliest possible appointment for PCR, and call my doctor ASAP. I'll be wearing my KN95 or KF94 and staying as far as possible from everybody. I'm not ready to give up the job yet, but more ready to pop any ole droopy masks (and their supervisor) in the nose (figuratively speaking of course) Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts, Lou.

I finally got my CT results: Still NED! 

I got a letter from a pulmonologist who was subbing for mine, saying that I didn't need any more annual CT scans, since I had 5.  i think that some national group has recommended ongoing ones, even for stage 1A. I'm going to see if I can find this and then e-mail my doc about it. Anybody know offhand where I can find this recommendation?

Bridgette,

This comes from CancerNet and describes the follow up for Stage 1-3 in the article (Lung Cancer - Non-Small Cell: Follow-Up Care) that you can find here.  Best of luck, I would always want a low-dose CT scan done annually.

Lou

Bridget,

How about that!

I was diagnosed at a late stage and progressed to stage IV. So while it has been 18 years since diagnosis, I still will get an annual scan. My doctor, however, has changed my scan type to a low dose CT, with no contrast.

I did a search of the National Cancer Institute site but could not find any guidance on scanning interval and diagnostic stage. I think that interval is left to the physician's judgement and perhaps what the insurance company will accept as a suitable covered expense.

Medicare pays for annual screens depending on published criteria. Here is the coverage criteria.

Stay the course.

Tom

Bridget,

Such wonderful news after such a crappy journey— congratulations. Mask slippers make me nuts. Feel better.

Karen

Bridget,

I'm so happy with your NED news!!

Also, relieved that your covid test was negative.

Hope you don't have any more scares like that. Yes, the KN95, and N95's seems to be the way to go.

I also get my groceries delivered and only go to necessary medical appointments, PT, etc.

Be well,

Ro

Archived