Hello

I'm chazsprincess and I found out on the 9th of August that I have lung cancer.  I am from Kansas and am 57yrs. married with 5 grown kids and 11 grandbabies.  I don't know what else to write except " I am scared to death ".

Welcome to our forums Chazsprincess, we're glad you found us but sorry you need to be here.  First of all fear and anxiety are perfectly understandable when you hear the words "Lung Cancer".  This is a serious disease to have and your feelings very normal.  So many of us used the term "Devastated" because we felt all hope was gone.  I was diagnosed with cancer in March of 2019 and am still here today NED (no evidence of disease) and there are many here who are longer survivors than me.  I'm telling you this to show you that lung cancer is no longer the automatic death sentence that it once was.  Treatments have advanced more in the last five years than the past fifty and new approaches such as immunotherapy and targeted treatments have saved many lives.  So please don't lose hope, you have more chance of survival now than ever before in our history.  You don't say much about what your diagnostic process included or what medical team you have so I'm going to share some important information for you to read. 

o  The first is a page on "Navigating the Diagnostic Process and can be found here.  It contains various articles on everything from Pre-Screening through What to Ask Your Doctor...

o This is an informative piece on "Your Medical Team" and some thoughts on who should be part of that group.  It is part of the Navigating the Diagnnostic Process and is found on this page.

o  Finally there is an article called "10 Steps to Surviving Lung Cancer; From a Survivor" and it has important knowledge and tips on how to make it though this.  It it at this location.

From personal experience and hearing from many other survivors I can tell you that once your medical team puts together your treatment plan you will actually feel better that you are out to conquer this disease.  More of my Lungevity Family will be posting to you soon, but in the meantime know that you will not be alone on this journey.  Please post more information here any time you want and feel free to ask any questions you may have.  Heck, even if you just want to vent or rant this is a good place to do it among a group of folks who understand your journey.

Lou

Hi, I’m from KS too.  Lou has given you a really nice summary of how to start to get your head wrapped around this.  I was diagnosed with Stage IV lung cancer four years ago at the age of 51 and today am no evidence of disease.  With all the treatment advances, diagnosis is not prognosis. 
You can get great care in rural KS without having to trek to the KC metro.  The most frustrating part is all the waiting as the medical system doesn’t ever move as fast as we want it too.  From diagnosis to treatment plan typically takes 4-8 weeks. 
Take one hour, one day at a time.  We’ve all been there and we’re here to say that you can do this.  Brighter days are coming.  

Hi Chazprincess, when I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago, the most puzzling yet valuable information my primary care doctor gave me was that lung cancer isn't an automatic death sentence anymore. Like Michelle and Lou, I am also NED after having chemo and radiation and now on a daily targeted therapy pill. 

Taking one hour or one day at a time as Michelle suggests is essential to get through this difficult time. You are not alone, and we will be here to support you throughout. 

Hi Chazs. I am new here as well and share your sentiment. This was exactly my feeling when I was diagnosed on July 25th. "scared to death".  I am still going through the tests, the waiting, .. and I am still awaiting treatment. This site, and the people who responded to me has helped my state of mind immensely. They are so kind, knowledgeable and supportive, it has warmed my heart and soul. Let's go through this together, eh?

I feel If one more person tells me to 'stay positive'  I will come unglued, lol...but it IS actually great advice. I am doing my best, and now have a new hope for the future. Treatment for lung cancer has come a long way. We will be OK.

Love and peace to you. xoxo

Very wise Laurel, “stay positive” “stay strong” should be on the list of what not to say at this point of time.   It’s okay to become unglued, it’s important not to bottle up the emotions.   Even though it doesn’t feel like it now, it will get better… in the mean time we’ll all be here to carry you along the way….

Hi Chazs 

Sorry your going through this, but you really are not alone in your feelings we have all been where you are right now,it is very scary and daunting but when you start treatment you will feel a bit better about everything,I know when I started it really helped just knowing that something was being done, things will get better and you will have many low times and bad days if you can get some antidepressants or something to help it would be worth trying all the best

Take care Justin x 

My daughter gave me a “Dammit Doll” not long after my initial diagnosis. You basically whack it against something while yelling all the unmentionable words you were taught to never say. The idea of it cracks me up, which is sometimes a good antidote to terror. As you get closer to a treatment plan and start treatment, you will be learning more and more. Knowledge helps me keep my fears at bay. For right now, know that you are not alone. That’s not a lot of comfort in the face of this rotten disease, but it’s made a huge difference for me. Hang in,

Karen