Diagnosed Jan. 13, adenocarcinoma LLL

AuK

40, female, non-smoker, newly diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in lower left lung. This was an incidental finding back in August 2022 when I went to urgent care for an unrelated reason and the doctor saw a spot in my lung that wasn‘t there in an xray from 8 years ago. Followed up with a CT the next day and a referral to a pulmonologist. Nodule indeterminant 1.6cm. Had bloodwork to check for fungal infections and auto immune diseases that could cause lung nodules followed by PET scan when the bloodwork came back negative. Had an unsuccessful CT guided biopsy in September, finally had the repeat biopsy in January because I had pneumonia in November related to the first biopsy. Got the results the next day after the biopsy. Waiting to be scheduled for RATS lobectomy this month of February. Hoping it‘s not in any lymph nodes, but feeling very lucky it was found now and not later as I have no symptoms associated with lung cancer and am otherwise very healthy.

Welcome AuK. As one of our moderators says, welcome to the club no one wants to join. You've had a challenging road already-- pneumonia is hard enough without the worry of lung cancer hanging over your head. Your doctor sounds proactive, which is great. The diagnostic and initial treatment time can be so nerve-wracking.... 

Did anyplace else light up in the PET scan? My tumor and nodes did. (My diagnosis and treatment journey thus far is in my signature below.) 

Are they checking for biomarkers that could be addressed with targeted medicines? They need to send the biopsy off to a lab for that and it takes a while to get results. That wouldn't delay surgery, though. 

And, have they done a brain MRI as a baseline? The brain is one place lung cancer likes to travel to.... I know I was surprised when they wanted to do that in initial diagnostic testing, but it helped them in staging the cancer. It was especially useful for comparison a year later when a teeny spot showed up in my brain. 

Lungevity also offer educational materials about lung cancer. Find those here.  

This may be more than you wanted to  know as a response to a first post, but the early time in the diagnostic process can be very useful. Mostly, just know you're not alone. This is a great group of folks here. 

Karen

Hi Karen, 

All the information is greatly appreciated! Nothing else lit up in the PET aside from the lung nodule and surprisingly my endometrium but after an ultrasound and endometrial biopsy it was determined it was just fibroids. Based on all the multiple CT images and the PET scan both the pulmonologist and surgeon are optimistic that I will not have anything in the lymph nodes. The surgeon told me biomarker testing is now automatically done with lung cancer. She said it used to be something that had to be requested but now they just do it and that it can even be done later because they store some tissue. Haven‘t had an MRI yet. Should I worry about that even if it‘s staged 1A?

Hello Auk,

Welcome to our forums.  Being diagnosed early is a luxury as most LC is usually diagnosed only after symptoms are presenting.  This results in many diagnosis at Stage III.  Like you my LC was first seen on a CT Scan of a different issue (kidney stones).  Catching this disease early is a true benefit going forward.  Now that you are scheduled for a lobectomy I want to share a blog that will help you prepare for the surgery, get through the hospital stay, and help you in your post-surgery recovery.  It's titled "Thoracic Surgery Tips and Tricks" and it can be found here.  

You would also be well served learning more about all aspects of this disease from Diagnosis, to Treatment, and Outcomes.  That exists under our section titled "Lung Cancer 101".  It's found on this page.

Lung Cancer is no longer the "guaranteed death sentence" that it once was.  There are many, (like me), who are alive years after their diagnosis and treatment time.  Learn all you can, take care of yourself (eat well, be active), make sure you ask for support (family, friends and here), and you'll do better through the surgery and recovery than you ever expected.  

Lou

On 2/5/2023 at 9:51 PM, AuK said:

Hi Karen, 

Haven‘t had an MRI yet. Should I worry about that even if it‘s staged 1A?

That, I can't answer. I'd have a chat about it with your docs, as many of them as you can. Maybe some other folks at a stage 1 or 2 might have some experience that would help. 

The first test my pulmonologist ordered after my biopsy came back as adenocarcinoma was a brain MRI. Since my nodule was slow growing and only 1.1 cm at the time, it was presumed to be Stage 1 but the MRI & PET help with accurate dx and treatment plan.

Hi Auk

I don't comment here often cuz I am an Aussie but I found this forum invaluable when I was first diagnosed like you it was found during a surveillance scan, mine was for a previous uterine cancer now NED, anyway my lung nodule was a similar size to yours was staged at 1b, no lymph involvement and no further treatment required, that surgery was June 2021 so far 2 scans down and all is well, I will be under surveillance for the next 3.5 years. 

The tips on recovery after surgery were invaluable and helped enormously as did the very kind people here on this forum, my recovery took about 3 months i had upper right lobectomy, I am now back to walking my dog 2-3 kms every day and I will be 76 in June.

Wishing you a smooth surgery and a full recovery take care and good luck

Marilyn

Hi and welcome. I had a lower right lobectomy in 2016, NSCLC adenocarcinoma, stage 1a. They did biomarker testing automatically.No treatment beyond surgery, and I've been NED since.  I suggest you insist on biomarker testing.  If your tumor is staged at 1b, you will probably be given an option of further treatment and at that point it's essential to know what your molecular type is. Also,  Lou's compilation of Tips and Tricks is invaluable.  Hang in there and ask us any questions you have.

3 hours ago, BridgetO said:

Hi and welcome. I had a lower right lobectomy in 2016, NSCLC adenocarcinoma, stage 1a. They did biomarker testing automatically.No treatment beyond surgery, and I've been NED since.  I suggest you insist on biomarker testing.  If your tumor is staged at 1b, you will probably be given an option of further treatment and at that point it's essential to know what your molecular type is. Also,  Lou's compilation of Tips and Tricks is invaluable.  Hang in there and ask us any questions you have.

Hi BridgetO, how long did you have to wait for surgery after your diagnosis? Did you also have an MRI to check for brain lesions? I have finally been scheduled for the lobectomy at the end of March. I was told biomarker testing would be done in case I needed further treatment if it‘s found in any lymph nodes. I‘m glad to know you have NED after surgery! I hope for the same outcome.

Hi AuK. I didn't get a firm diagnosis before surgery. They were unable to do a biopsy because of the location of the tumor. Based on the appearance of the tumor and the fact that I had 2 prior unrelated cancers, I was advised to go ahead with the surgery. It made sense to me and I did. I waited a long time (a couple of months as I recall) for surgery. This was partly because I wanted to take a previously planned vacation before my surgery. Because my tumor was small and so slow growing (I had been on wait and watch for 3 months and it grew just a tiny bit) it didn't seem to me or my doctors to be much of a risk to wait. One of my prior non-lung cancers was large and fast-growing and I was practically whisked into surgery (about a week from the biopsy results) so I knew that the medical system could react fast when necessary. Also, after my experience with THAT one, I think I was a bit blase about a tiny, possibly malignant lung nodule. I didn't have a brain MRI.

Also, there is  sometimes  a reason to have further treatment, other than spread to lymph nodes. I think a tumor can be Stage 1b solely due to size or if the surgical margins aren't clear. For 1b, people usually are offered the option of further treatment. 

Feel free to ask anything else you want from me or anybody else on here!