Fingers crossed for mum's scan tomorrow 🀞🀞

catlady91

My mum is having her check-up scan tomorrow. Her last one was six months ago when her oncologist said that because she's been NED for almost three years, that the scan frequency could be decreased. I hope that all will be ok. Mum seems well and happy and full of energy. The oncologist calls my mum a week after the scan so I'll have to wait till the 26th when mum has her phone appointment. I start my new job on the 26th so will be a bit jittery and distracted. Not great for my first day.Β 

A call one week after a scan is just awful, IMO. The stress of a new job on top of that is hard. The only coping strategies I can offer are some deep slow breaths and the evidence of her health and energy.Β 

Hang in,

Karen

Fingers crossed for your mum - and your new job! But the fact that she is feeling good should give you cause for optimism!
Karen - one week is very, very quick over here. We normally wait up to a month, mainly due to a severe shortage of radiologists in the NHS.

I reckon, just like here in Canada, the images just sit there unread until someone gets to them. The queue is weeks long sometimes.

@catlady91, just in case the delay is from oncology rather than radiology, make sure a copy of your report is always copied to your GP. My oncologist never calls with results even if my appointment with them is weeks away from when results are posted. We are not allowed to read reports until a doctor gives me access. The reason I stay sane is that my GP is so cool he would call me over Christmas to tell me as soon as he receives a copy. Brutal system otherwise.

6 hours ago, Karen_L said:

That’s cruel, IMO. Do they at least post results in an online chart so you can review them?

No because the issue is that there aren’t enough radiologists to interpret the scan, so no reports. At some point last winter they were sent to Australia to get somebody to look at them!! It is getting better though, but a week we can only dream of!

Austria???!! Β Well, that’s really something. The wait adds so much stress for you.

Recently I was annoyed because scan reports didn’t appear in my online chart until the morning after the scan. Usually they show up within 4 hours. I never considered that a real privilege before.

I’m so sorry you folks have to cope with that!Β 

8 hours ago, Karen_L said:

Austria???!! Β Well, that’s really something. The wait adds so much stress for you.

Recently I was annoyed because scan reports didn’t appear in my online chart until the morning after the scan. Usually they show up within 4 hours. I never considered that a real privilege before.

I’m so sorry you folks have to cope with that!Β 

Australia even Β - 11 timezones away from the UK. Mostly it is ok, but occasionally it causes real issues. I think my surgery would have been a lot less complicated had it not been delayed almost two months due to these scan waits. There are lots of reason to love the NHS, but this isn’t one of them. So do praise yourselves lucky!Β 

A week is usual in the UK. Like Rikke says there aren't enough radiologists. They've always been quick with my mum luckily and fortunately she's never had treatment or scans delayed. I'm also extremely lucky she's under one of the best if not the best hospitals specializing in cancer in the country.

Good news! My mum's oncologist rang today as she's extremely busy tomorrow and everything is fine. No changes and next scan in 6 months. I'm so relieved. I can also start my new job tomorrow with a peace of mind.Β