Mucinous adenocarcinoma

jtrausch

I am new to this forum and just had surgery at Northwestern hospital in Chicago. Dr Ankin Bharit for a mucinous adnocarcinoma in upper left lobe. Would like to hear what I should be asking and anyone who had had this type as some say it is rare. Thanks 

Welcome to our forum.  Sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us.  You don't say what surgery you had; if it was a lobectomy, wedge resection, or other.  Perhaps as you're here longer you'll be able to provide more details.  Meanwhile, off the top of my head, there are a few things you can ask shortly after surgery:

1. What was the size of the tumor and was there any involvement outside the lung (lymph nodes, etc.)?  This will help you and your surgeon properly stage the tumor and also open any discussion on adjuvant chemo to make sure all cancer cells are gone.
  2. Were biomarkers identified from the biopsy of tissue taken?  This information can help identify any mutations or biomarkers that may allow for a targeted therapy in the event of a recurrence.
  3. My understanding is the "mucinious adenocarinoma" cells normally originate in the colon but if the diagnosis was "Invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma (IMA)" that is a subtype of lung cancer cell that has its own characteristics..  Is this cancer form confirmed by the doctor and if so what does he/she believe the next steps will be post-surgery.
  4. Please take some time to look at our "Lung Cancer 101" section there is a wealth of information there.

I hope that this helps you out and please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Lou

Welcome to the forum JT. I hope your healing after surgery is going well. I was diagnosed with stage IA2 invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma of the lung 3 years ago (IMA). It was a solitary nodule type, not the pneumonic type. Questions might be what stage, any nodal involvement (IMA often is nodal free and typically does not metastasize outside the lungs), any treatment beyond surgery needed, solitary or pneumonic type. Often stage I lung cancer patients are not offered biomarker testing. I understand that a form of KRAS mutation is common in IMA and there currently is no targeted therapy for this type of lung cancer.  I don’t know if I had a KRAS mutation because I was not offered biomarker testing and it is not clear if there would be any advantage to knowing. 

On 10/18/2023 at 6:11 PM, LouT said:

Welcome to our forum.  Sorry you need to be here, but glad you found us.  You don't say what surgery you had; if it was a lobectomy, wedge resection, or other.  Perhaps as you're here longer you'll be able to provide more details.  Meanwhile, off the top of my head, there are a few things you can ask shortly after surgery:

1. What was the size of the tumor and was there any involvement outside the lung (lymph nodes, etc.)?  This will help you and your surgeon properly stage the tumor and also open any discussion on adjuvant chemo to make sure all cancer cells are gone.
  2. Were biomarkers identified from the biopsy of tissue taken?  This information can help identify any mutations or biomarkers that may allow for a targeted therapy in the event of a recurrence.
  3. My understanding is the "mucinious adenocarinoma" cells normally originate in the colon but if the diagnosis was "Invasive mucinous adenocarcinoma (IMA)" that is a subtype of lung cancer cell that has its own characteristics..  Is this cancer form confirmed by the doctor and if so what does he/she believe the next steps will be post-surgery.
  4. Please take some time to look at our "Lung Cancer 101" section there is a wealth of information there.

I hope that this helps you out and please feel free to ask any additional questions you may have.

Lou

Thanks Lou and Scruboak tomorrow I meet with surgeon to find out stage and if any lymph node involvement. Thanks for the list of questions. I believe biomakers were ordered.  It's very positive to hear someone else has this type of tumor because the doctors made it seem so rare and I'm happy scruboak you have had 3 years of NED.  My recovery has been hard the first 6 days were great not much pain and I thought I was one of the lucky ones. On day 7 could not move left arm chest and rib cage were having spasms and sharp shooting pains. Can't lay down in bed because I can't get up without pain. I'm hoping this is not going to last much longer.  So glad I found this forum. Julie

• 1 month later...

I am doing much better and the intense pain has subsided.  My tumor was 3 centimeters, stage 1 mucinous adenocarcinoma in left lung.  No lymph node involvement. My onocolgist said no chemo or radiation so I feel very fortunate. I will have ct scan in 3 months because chest xray at surgery appointment follow up showed spot on right lung. Thanks for all the information it sure helps guide me in this journey. Julie

jtrausch

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that you are doing better.  Even without the spot they would do the scan after three months.  You'll likely be getting scans on a 3 or 6 month schedule for the first two years, then annually after that.  You can discuss the schedule with your oncologist or lead doctor.  In the meantime enjoy your results and know that we celebrate with you.

Lou