Those Other Things

I have been a caregiver for my wife now over six months (since NSCLC diag.). I have really been tired, although I have worked on the stress. It occurred to me the other day that it is a three-ring circus: (1) I have to caregive for all the cancer things (doctors' appointments, treatments, tests, etc, plus taking care of her); (2) I have to get done all those other routine things I usually take care of; and (3) I have to get done all those other routine things she usually takes care of! I told a friend the other day, I feel like I'm hanging by both hands fron the edge of the cliff -- there's a guy on the cliff stomping on one of my nands and there's another guy below pulling on my leg! We both bust out laughing at that image (he took his wife through leukemia 10 years ago). After I could picture my predicament in that way, and understand it, I felt better! It gives a whole new meaning to "hang in there!". Ha! Ha! Don

Great image Don! And it sure does fit how I get to feeling now-a-days. Last winter when I was late getting to work after a particularly large snow storm I was exasperated. I told my boss that those lovely snow storms I always look forward to take on a whole new meaning when I have to shovel! Before Hugh became ill, he always shoveled us out, started my car and brushed it off. I never fully appreciated all of the stuff Hugh did. On the other hand, on the days that he is feeling good he tries to pick up some of the slack at the house and the other day I came home to a really great looking supper. He looked at me and said it took him all afternoon "just" to make the potato salad! So, we BOTH appreciate each other's chores a little more.

As for the lawn that keeps growing even though I am asking it not to......... :lol:

Boy do I ever relate to this.... :?

I have always been lucky to have a husband who did a great deal of the house work. We've been in a routine for so long I forgot all that there really is to do. For the past month and a half now, I've been trying to take care of what there is to do for my husband, do all the house work, work full time plus overtime, and keep up with family obligations.

I never thought my house was large until I had to clean the whole thing. I'm just letting the yard go to heck, because I have no clue how to run the lawn mower, hedge clippers and all that other fun stuff. I'll probably lose a limb if I tried to start the weed wacker. I've never, up until now, fully appreciated how much my husband really did for me.

Now I don't know how I will ever be able to manage it all. I feel like I am running in circles trying to do everything, and the result is nothing gets done to completion, or gets done well. I've never been so tired in my life.

Thank you guys for the chuckle....... :lol: All of your posts were so true to my situation that I had to laugh out loud.

I read them all to my boyfriend who is home and on the couch recoup. he even had to laugh.... and he doesn't have a sence of humor......

keep up the good work.....

Renee

Don, the other day I was feeling overwhelmed and like I was being pulled in 10 different directions at the same time. I wasn't sure if I wanted to hollar, kick something, cry, grit my teeth or what. I just knew I didn't feel good. A short power walked helped at least for the time being, but deep down lately I've been feeling like I want to hop on the Appalachian Trail w/ my backpack and just walk away from it all.

Then yesterday I read your post about being pulled from a cliff. I thought about what a healthy attitude you have and how great it is that at least some of your stress was relieved by first sharing your true feelings, and then chuckling about it after picturing yourself hanging from a cliff. It sounds like you've really got your hands full. I figure if you can get yourself out of a bad mood w/ a little chuckle, then so can I.

Take care of yourself and keep on laughing and hanging in there!!!