Dad's big day went well - He is in Remission!

S. Jane

My Dad "Chick" was given the great news yesterday that he is in remission! I posted a lengthy post in the Family/Caregivers forum, but wanted to make sure all of those interested know the good news! All scans were clear! He will be having PCI in 4-6 weeks. We were surprised that the doctor recommended it, as my Dad had understood he didn't think it was a good treatment. My Dad respects this man's opinion and is now willing to have the PCI treatment, even though he is nervous about it and the side effects. It was fun when we went out to breakfast after the appointment and Dad began discussing things he wants to do. It is like these last few months had a hold on him and his future, and now he is having a reprieve for a while. I'm happy for all of us. I don't want to think too far ahead right now, but we've all ready asked the doctor what the next steps are to watch this nasty disease.......but that is another post I guess.

Thanks all, for everything.

Jane

Wonderful, Wonderful news!!!!!!! You tell Chick Congratulations from me. Thyat news does give you a new lease on life. Nothing will ever look the same through his eyes. My experience with PCI was rough but I figured if it gave me even one week more with the ones I love then it was well worth it. Fatigue was my biggest problem with PCI. I also tend to be not as detail oriented when I am very tired and sometimes forget peoples name but honestly it is not that much worse than my cognative ability was PC (pre cancer). Enjoy every minute.

David C

I've sent my Dad "Chick" all these sincere and thoughtful comments. He called today saying he was impressed by such a wondeful group. He said it took him a 1/2 hour to read over all the well wishes and asked if there was more (geesh - how much does he need??? just kidding, there are some more to send, and I'm glad he felt like there is a community out there that understands!) Now, please understand, my Dad has a great sense of humor, so, he said "Now, I enjoyed reading all those comments, but that Dave C getting whacked kind of stuck with me. Don't worry, I'm getting the PCI anyway!" To which I commented - "Dad, I'm bringing a tape recorder so I can get all your stories down before you forget them all, we'll play them back for you." I love my Dad....he has taught me great things about life, and now is teaching me great things about dealing with sickness.

Jane

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I'll be seeing Dad today and will let him know. Though I do believe he has a kind of black humor in referring to PCI as "Getting Wacked". :lol: Knowing it is the steroid that was so difficult for you is "good" news as far as his PCI treatment is concerned....

Thanks,

Jane