My last treatment.

Rileys mom

So today was my very last treatment, and instead of feeling happy about it, I almost feel like I'm going through post pardum depression. Kind of like, so what do I do now??? I have spent that last 5.5 months eating, breathing and sleeping cancer...now what?? I have scans comming up in June, which according to my Dr. is just a technicality, but until then, I just feel like a sitting duck. Did anyone else ever fell this way?

Take a vacation with that baby!!! Be happy!...No, be THRILLED that you dont have to worry about any of this for awhile!

OR...I just read a post from KarenC that talked about helping others through tough times. After reading her post I felt so selfish because all I want is for all "this" to be done and over with. All she wants to do is to help someone else. Maybe its teraputical? I just feel like that was the best post ive ever read. I told her that if im ever in the situation where i dont have to worry about my dad so much, Id want to be so like that...ya know??? Im sure you have alot of advice and expierence to pass on! Like I said though...

Take a break! You deserve it!

Jamie

So today was my very last treatment, and instead of feeling happy about it, I almost feel like I'm going through post pardum depression. Kind of like, so what do I do now??? I have spent that last 5.5 months eating, breathing and sleeping cancer...now what?? I have scans comming up in June, which according to my Dr. is just a technicality, but until then, I just feel like a sitting duck. Did anyone else ever fell this way?

Yes, I feel that way....and around test time, I feel like I haven't "studied" and get all kinds of anxiety. Silly, huh? (Between you and me, after taking 10 mg of Valium prior to an MRI, from now on, when I have to do tests, I'll pop a Xanax that morning and just oooooooze on through it!)

Try to separate yourself from the diagnosis as much as possible. You are not a statistic, you are not a cancer VICTIM, you are a survivor and you have a LIFE out there! Grab on, move on...and try to not look over your shoulder all the time - throws yer neck outta whack! :roll:

Sounds easy, huh? It's not.... TRY to ignore the "cancer thing"...but work through it when it pushes up on your well-being and happy thoughts. Post partum depression? Think Lamaze breathing and focusing on your "Happy Place" and get through the ugly stuff!

Take care, you ARE normal - the "new" normal.

Becky

Steph~

This too shall pass and I predict you'll get used to being away from the cancer center real soon. I'm sure Riley will do her best to help you. Our cancer center gives out balloon bouquets with the last treatment. Hope you got a certificate or something marking the occasion. :P

Rochelle

Steph,

Completely normal to feel like you do. Now make yourself enjoy each and every single day. In the early days I would set time tables for myself. I would decide that for one afternoon I would make the conscious decision to NOT think of cancer. If those thoughts should sneak up on me I would immediately stop myself, then do something to distract myself. Talk about denial! Hey....it is still my very favorite coping mechanism!

Congratulations on completing treatment. Now enjoy that beautiful little girl!

Steph,

What you are feeling is SO normal!

I too felt the exact same way when I finished treatment. I felt like I had been constantly monitored for 6 months and who was monitoring me now -- me??? That wasn't very reasurring!!!!! The words "feeling like a sitting duck" are very accurate and that is the same phrase I used to describe it to people at the time.

I will tell you what helped ME get through that feeling. I started focusing on nutrition and exercise. This may sound silly, but doing some research/reading on nutrition for cancer patients, meeting with a nutritionist and starting and exercise program (walking every day) made me feel like I was still DOING SOMETHING to fight the cancer. I don't know if it actually makes a difference or not, but in my mind, it does, and it put me at a little more ease during that difficult transitition time, so I guess that means it worked! :wink:

You have made it through the physically hard part.....now you have to get through the mentally hard part. And that can sometimes be just as hard ~ but it is do-able!

My wonderful friend completed her treatment in Feb. for cancer and the other day we were talking about her visit to the dentist. They asked her for her health history, you know, as anything changed in the past year with your heath...."no" she tells them, the cancer had totally slipped her mind. She had a great laugh when she realized that on the way home.

This uneasiness will slide away, probably little by little. and you'll hop back on the ride! Don't worry about it darling - take Heathers advice and focus on what you CAN do, eating healthy, study, reach out to others, love that baby!!! Don't let cancer rob you of anything else - your in control of it now!! Enjoy for all of us who are still in the fight!

Congratulations - we are overjoyed for you and your beautiful baby!

Guest Phyllis

You have been through some traumatic stuff. You should start to feel better pretty quick once all of the chemo, radiation, etc. effects wear off. Take a breather and tell yourself you made it. You are ok. Good luck.

Take a vacation :) Drive down to Florida or do something fun. Do whatever your heart desires!!!!!!!!!

Do what is best for YOU. I totally love the "sitting duck" phrase b/c that is how I feel now with my mom.

Everyone is different. Like Heather said, it helped her to get involved and take on cancer/nutrition and exercise (Heather, I should have you as my coach).

For me personally, I like talking to everyone and anyone I can about cancer in general and I want to wear a sign asking women if they have had their boobies checked out and men if they had a testicle check b/c early detection is the key.

For my mom, she does not want to talk about cancer at all. She does not read about it. She is just recovering from everything.

I have talked to people and some say that it really helps them to stay involved with support groups and it inspired them to get involved.

Others say any support group or involvement is too much for them and more harmful. As much as I LOVE this website, I met a woman who checked it out and who couldn't read about everyone with cancer b/c it depressed her.

My friemd's mom could not handle Relay, she is a 3 year breast cancer survivor. My mom did ok. So it really just depends. We are all different.

GO WITH YOUR HEART, ENJOY YOUR BABY!!!! And if you take a break from it all and don't post, please try to say hi every couple of months or so -- we need to see the picture of your beautiful baby.

Riley's Mom,

Yes, I think most of us have been there. While recieving reatment you are atleast fighting this disease. Doing nothing makes you feel helpless. You psyc yourself up to fight it. Don't worry, soon you will realize that a break is just what you need to reorganize. Now you can pursue complimentary and alternative treatments to continue the fight, which are not always advisable while doing traditional treatments due to their interactions. For example, mega doses of vitamin supplements render chemo less effective. Have fun while on your summer break!

Cheryl

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirts from Katie 8):wink: . It did get a little better, but the weeks before scan times are still terrifying. Like Hebbie, concentrating on exercise and nutrition has been a big help. This board also helped.

Hang in there, "vacation", and enjoy your precious family.

Cheers and congratulations on finishing treatment!!! :D