Is there a Connection Between Warts and Lung Cancer?

Guest Lauren831

Guest Lauren831

Hi everyone...

Long time lurker, first time caller here. :wink:

Has anyone experienced a connection between warts and lung cancer? This may seem like a strange question, but I've read that HPV warts (sexual and nonsexual) are attributed to different kinds of cancer. My mom had planter warts on her hands and feet for decades, including the time during which she was diagnosed with lung cancer. In addition, her feet were painfully inflammed for 20 years. After surgeons removed the lower lobe of her left lung, however, the warts and inflammation completely disappeared. Fortunately she is doing well and is nearing her 4th year of good health, but I still wonder how the cancer (which was genetic) and inflammed skin tissues connect. Is this a case of causation, correlation, or just pure speculation?

Thanks so much for your help and to everyone who contributes to this list. My mom derives strength from the empathy and encouragement of this group, and for that I am thankful. She is a most warm and loving woman, and I am forever indebted to her.

All the best,

Lauren

Not planter warts, that I know of. Genital warts are strongly associated with cervical cancer. As far as lung cancer??? Warts sometimes have a viral connection. That's about all I know without searching the Internet.

My best to you and your mom

elaine

Sorry I can't help with this one at all. I would ask a doc of some kind if that happens. It is strange that they would all clear up after surgery. Then main thing is your mom is alive 4 years out. That is wonderful! And to be free of warts is just an added blessing.

Nina

Daer Lauren,

I, also dont know the answer to your question. I wanted to say welcome though and please keep coming back and I am sure your post will generate many answers for you, I just dont happen to have them. You and your Mom are in my prayers.

God Bless You Both,

Jane

My son had a horrible case of Plantar's warts on his feet - the medication to ease them? Well, the same stuff used for genital warts! If THAT wasn't an embarassing trip to the pharmacy, especially when it's for an 8 y/o boy!

May be the same basic virus....

Well I sure hope there isnt a connection because I have had a whole bunch of warts pop up on my hands and ALSO was put on the genital warts cream for them and I felt :oops: when I went to the pharmacy... But hey, I'll be more vigilant about things anyway since cancer now has entered my family...

Warts are caused by the human papilloma virus. They can occur anywhere. Warts can definitely turn cancerous - I once knew a patient who developed squamous cell lung cancer d/t papilloma virus in her airways. Why they went away when the cancer was treated, who knows? Maybe they are susceptible to chemo/radiation too. - Teresa