Getting Re-ported

Remembering Dave

I am getting my Port-a-cath RE-INSTALLED in the morning.........

We will be dropping off a note to my Onc. on the way to the hospital in the morning because they scheduled a Dr appt and a chemo round for the week we will be going to Montana for a family reunion. I am sure either Karen or I will update you all on how the surgury went. I should be home by noon or so, my surgury is scheduled for 7:30 am.

David C

Good Luck David,

And OH YES, you better talk to your Onc's office about when your starting chemo. We have a DATE (your family and mine) for August 6 at the Mpls, Airport! They can't screw that up!!! :roll::wink::wink::P

Your in my prayers! Hope it all goes ducky!!!

Love & Hugs,

Con

Ha,ha,ha. Thank you all. I thought I was funny with the re-ported thing but you guys take the cake. I needed that. I was released from th hospital around 11:00 am and we went to get my pain prescription filled and had lunch at the "counter in the drug store. It is like an old timey drug store with a lunch counter. There are a bunch of old ladies working it and the regulars just get up, go behing the counter and pretty much help themselves. The drug store is great they always have my drugs no mattter how obscure. Anyway the surgeon gave me a prescription for Lortab which is the same as Hydrocodone evidently, well that stuff does not work but my surgury area was starting to hurt pretty bad after finished eating so I took a couple around noon. Now I have to wait until 4:00 before I can take some Percocett which I still have a couple left. Karen and I came home and we both had a little nap, in in fact Karen is still asleep. We had to get up at 4:30 am to get me to the hospital. We had a note to our Onc. we were going to tape to the door of thier office on our way to the hospital this morning but we were running late so Karen faxed it to them while I was getting re-ported. After we got home Karen called and they are going to move my chemo up to this Wed. and I will have it in the hospital. I was scheduled to start on Friday so this is nice to get it a few days early. They also will give me more Percocetts which Karen will pick up this evening when she goes in to pick up Faith. The people who kept Faith overnight are fixing us dinner which Karen will pick up tonight as well. They are such nice people. We dropped of Faith last night and then Karen and I went out to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner. On the was home Karen called to see how Faith was doing and they Thanked us for sharing Faith with them, thaey were having so much fun with her (she is really fun....most of the time) and that she was doing great and was behaving herself. The thing that gets me, actually makes me madder than H#LL is the fact that I am not going to be able to play with Faith as much as I have been when this chemo starts, well actually starting today since my port was put in. Grrrrr!!!!!!!!! Well enough rambling. Thank you all for your support and prayers.

PS Jamie a port is a Port-a-cath which is a button with a catheter (small tube) attached to it. It gets surgically implanted in you chest with the catheter installed into an Artery (vein or artery, can't remember which) which goes down into your heart. When you get chemo or IV's or have blood drawn they can just access the port by sticking the needle into the botton under your skin on your chest instead of sticking you in your veins, which can get to the point where they are usless if they ae stuck too much. I have heard stories of not being able to find a vein in peoples arms because they have been stuck so many times. I really don't understand why some people elect not to have a port installed. I absolutely love mine (don't get any wierd ideas now) After going through last year I could not imagine getting everything through my veins in my arms. Plus when they access your port receiving chemo for hours at a time you have full use of both arms because everything is hooked up to you port in your chest.

David C

Ha,ha,ha. Thank you all. I thought I was funny with the re-ported thing but you guys take the cake. I needed that. I was released from th hospital around 11:00 am and we went to get my pain prescription filled and had lunch at the "counter in the drug store. It is like an old timey drug store with a lunch counter. There are a bunch of old ladies working it and the regulars just get up, go behing the counter and pretty much help themselves. The drug store is great they always have my drugs no mattter how obscure. Anyway the surgeon gave me a prescription for Lortab which is the same as Hydrocodone evidently, well that stuff does not work but my surgury area was starting to hurt pretty bad after finished eating so I took a couple around noon, we were still approx. 25 minutes from home. Now I have to wait until 4:00 before I can take some Percocett which I still have a couple left. Karen and I came home and we both had a little nap, in in fact Karen is still asleep. We had to get up at 4:30 am to get me to the hospital. We had a note to our Onc. we were going to tape to the door of thier office on our way to the hospital this morning but we were running late so Karen faxed it to them while I was getting re-ported. After we got home Karen called and they are going to move my chemo up to this Wed. and I will have it in the hospital. I was scheduled to start on Friday so this is nice to get it a few days early. They also will give me more Percocetts which Karen will pick up this evening when she goes in to pick up Faith. The people who kept Faith overnight are fixing us dinner which Karen will pick up tonight as well. They are such nice people. We dropped of Faith last night and then Karen and I went out to the Outback Steakhouse for dinner. On the was home Karen called to see how Faith was doing and they Thanked us for sharing Faith with them, thaey were having so much fun with her (she is really fun....most of the time) and that she was doing great and was behaving herself. The thing that gets me, actually makes me madder than H#LL is the fact that I am not going to be able to play with Faith as much as I have been when this chemo starts, well actually starting today since my port was put in. Grrrrr!!!!!!!!! Well enough rambling. Thank you all for your support and prayers.

PS Jamie a port is a Port-a-cath which is a button with a catheter (small tube) attached to it. It gets surgically implanted in you chest with the catheter installed into an Artery (vein or artery, can't remember which) which goes down into your heart. When you get chemo or IV's or have blood drawn they can just access the port by sticking the needle into the botton under your skin on your chest instead of sticking you in your veins, which can get to the point where they are usless if they ae stuck too much. I have heard stories of not being able to find a vein in peoples arms because they have been stuck so many times. I really don't understand why some people elect not to have a port installed. I absolutely love mine (don't get any wierd ideas now) After going through last year I could not imagine getting everything through my veins in my arms. Plus when they access your port receiving chemo for hours at a time you have full use of both arms because everything is hooked up to you port in your chest.

David C

David,

I dont know how I never heard about that before. My dad didnt have it, but I dont think he got "all that much" chemo compared to others. Just once a week for an hour each time for 8 weeks. Dont think my dad would have liked it much anyway.

Thanks for the info... see, I learn somethig new everyday! :D

Jamie

Connie - Dave said he's going on the trip to Glacier even if I have to push him on the airplane in a wheelchair. I'll let you push that wheelchair at the Minneapolis airport from gate to the next, how about that for bonding?

His first chemo got moved up from Friday in the oncologist's office to tomorrow in the hospital. No room at the oncologist Inn, so to speak, but the hospital is better, he'll probably be in a room by himself, he'll be able to stretch out in bed and nap, he'll have a TV, and he might even be able to plug the laptop in the phone line there. How about that for a day of pampered luxury?

Karen

Well then, here's to "pampered luxury" -- I'd say he's earned it! David, it was good to talk to you today, and you know you're in my prayers (and the prayers of anyone who comes near me these days)...

As TBone says...

Praying for us all,

BeckyCW