Hi I'm New

Tree

About a month ago my mother went in to get a chest X-ray after many months of postnasal drip, she thought it might have been a virus that she could not get rid of. Her x-ray came back clear but the doctor wanted to do a cat-scan of her chest. That's when they found the "mass" the word that she hates the most. The mass is on 3.1 centimeters big, about the size of a quarter. She meet with a pathologist and was scheduled for a biospy. The biospy came back positive of cancer. My mothers pathologist said that this cancer is treat-able and it is the slow movig type. She just went to see and oncologist to see what here options were, he said 1 day of chemo for 3 hours with radiation, and radiation for the next 4 days for the next 6 weeks. Then additional treatments. Her doctor said that surgery should not be performed right now since the cancer has attached it's self to one of her vocal cords and her pulmonary artery. She is freaking out about chemo, more so since she has read the side affects that it can cause. I don't know how to talk to her, one day she is complete fine and the next day mostly after she see's a doctor she is a complete mess. I need some advise?

ok, breath, thats a start.

your next few weeks are going to be an emotional overload and you will not know which way is up. Then.....as the treatments start and you know that cancer killers are inside mom, you will be able to take a deep breath. Its great that they cought it when surgery is still an option, she is ahead of the game there. Its a long, uncomfortable rollercoaster ride from hell that you and your mom are now on, but we ALL are already on it and more than willing to help hold your barf bag for you.

I have been through it with both parents since January of 2003 and unfortunately lost both parents as well. Dad was just in June and mom was Last august. now my sister is battling cancer as well. You could call me a veteran and I should be stable right....wrong, I was up until about 72 hours ago carried by all of these people again when I thought I could not go on another step.

you are family now. Welcome.

Hi & welcome... Shelly as some good advice, espically the breathe part! Mt dad is farther along than your mom, but after chemo, radiation, and surgery... he is now cancer free. I hope your moms outcome is as great as my dads. She's so lucky to have caught it now rather than later. If everything works, she may be able to have that surgery! Be there for your mom, and ignore the statistics. Try and stay off the web... this is the best place for questions (ive found)... Keep us posted, and if you have any questions... feel free...

Jamie

Sorry you had to seek us out, but VERY glad you found us.

What Shelley said ... only more so. Take a deep breath, buckle in tight, and hang in there. The first few weeks are always a roller coaster ride. But you don't have to take that ride alone. No matter what situation you Mom finds herself in there is somebody here who's already walked that road and will be willing to share their experiences with you. When somebody here says "I know what you are going through" ... well ... they really DO know!

Prayers for you and your Mom.

Dean

Hello and welcome.

I can't give you any advice from on hand experience with lung cancer but I can tell you that you have come to a community that will be there to support you and give you endless information even if it is only in the form of an opinion at times. They will be your inspiration.

I agree, stay off the web and reading statistics. You'll be far better off talking to survivors here than juggling percentages there.

My best to you and your Mother.

Kate

Dear Tree,

I'll emphasize a different part of Shelly's post. The next few weeks WILL BE emotional overload - BUT, it will get better. It took us about two weeks to get over the shock and to stop reeling from the news, grasp it, and move on and get in the fight. As your mind gets a little more comfortable with the "c" word and with the idea, your emotions will calm down, you will begin to learn a lot, and you will feel a lot better. I'm not saying you are ever going to like it, but the initial shock does get beter.

Hang in there, and please always feel free to let us know how we can help.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi

Like everyone else has said, I am sorry you had to find us but glad that you did. The people on this site are an amazing support and wealth of information for anyone whose life is being affected by lung cancer.

It does sound like there is a good game plan in place to treat your Mum's cancer. The next few weeks will certainly be an emotional rollercoaster as you try and get used to all of this. There is alot to learn so take your time sifting through all the information you have and trying to absorb and understand it all and get used to the "new normal".

Wishing you and your Mum all the very best

Jana

xxx

Tree,

This is a very difficult time for your Mom and for you...so many unknowns and so scary. Let us help you both as best we can and take it one step at a time. It sounds like your Mom caught this in time to take really knock the heck out of it. Keep us posted so we can support you through this.

And welcome,

Margaret

Tree,

Interesting name. I hope that means you are strong. I am so sorry that your family too has been touched by cancer. I'd like to welcome you to a wonderful group of people whom you will see as an extended family if you keep coming here. They are wise, caring, helpful and full of love for one another. I was fortunate to find them when my Brother was dx and they have helped me in oh so many ways. There is no doubt and also no better way to put it than this is a roller coaster ride. It looks good, it looks bad etc but no matter how it looks we are all here for you and your Mom. Please keep coming and get the support you need and help us when you can also. We are all in this together. Again, Welcome tree.

God Bless you,

Jane

Tree,

If you read my profile you will see that I have had chemo and radiation. I did not have them at the same time. The thing I dreaded the most was the chemo. I was scared silly. But, I had no choice in my own mind....I wanted to live. Yes, I lost my hair...and yes I was nauseated....and there are worse side effects. I am alive and feeling good. My hair is thicker and has more luster than it did before chemo. People tell me I look healthy. It was rough...I stayed tired and still do at times...but I would do it all over again if I had to to feel like I do now. I am cancer free at the moment and loving every minute of it. Your mom can do it too. Tell her to go (before chemo) and buy a wig. I bought the sythetic kind and loved it. That way they can match her style and hair color before it starts to come out. Tell her to take it to a beautician to be styled and have it ready when she needs it. I wore cotten caps at home most of the time. You can order them ahead of time as well...Call the American Cancer Society and ask them to send you a TLC catalog.

This may be more than you wanted to know..but it helped me to know I was ready and was getting rid of the cancer.

Nina

Tree,

My advice? When you call the ACS (per Nushka, above) regarding cotton caps, etc., set an appointment with a counselor for you and your mother. You can begin the session together, and maybe she'll decide to ask you to leave and open up to the counselor.

This disease is pretty isolating in the beginning, especially if you know NO ONE who either had the disease or survived it (actually, more so if your preconceived notions are all negative). The first thing is that Mom has to "accept" the diagnosis - NOT a "prognosis", the diagnosis. She has to come to grips with knowing that she has cancer...THEN she can take a deep breath or ten and begin to get on with the battle.

I do not know the length of your mother's hair. If she is going to go through chemo and has long hair, maybe she'd consider donating her hair to Locks of Love so her loss is someone else's gain (AND she'll get a "free" style out of it!). One suggestion I have read in magazines is to take a wig to your hair stylist to have it trimmed and thinned....

It's a bumpy ride, hang on!

Becky