Results of Daddys CT Scan and IRESSA....

sharyn

Okay all, Daddy met with the Onc today. This is the deal, his lesion in his lung is "just a hair" bigger than last scan 3 months ago. The Onc says he is not really concerned, but would like him to try Iressa vs. Chemo. They are going to start him on 250 mg. of Iressa, upon approval of Medicare... apparently Dad has to fill out some forms to see if Medicare will cover the cost. Anyway, I am concerned about the side effects of this drug... I have gone on here and searched through the archives and have seen so many mixed reviews..... I am also kindof taken aback that the Onc wants to start Iressa, yet he says he is not "overly concerned?" I wish I had been at the appt but I couldn't be there today. He is also starting Daddy on Paxil because he feels his lack of appetite and basic "blahs" are due to depression. Any information you guys can share with me about Iressa would be more than greatly appreciated. I want to know the good and the bad - I also am curious to the fact that if Iressa does not work, does that mean there are no more options??? I read on here in a couple of posts that Iressa is usually a "last ditch" kind of thing.... I appreciate any and all info you can provide me with. Love to you all... Sharon

Sharon,

I think your Dad got basically good news.

Here is what I think are the goods and bads about Iressa:

Goods:

When it works, it really works.

Because it has shown such effectiveness it is being used earlier in the cycle to keep the cancer stable or shrink it.

It is absolutely not the last ditch attempt

Bads:

When it doesn't work, it really doesn't work.

Side effects are iffy, some people have virtually none and then some like Snowflake and David A have horrendous, stop the Iressa side effects.

Earl had some of all the side effects, but if Iressa had worked, they were tolerable.

Hope it is the magic pill for your Dad.

Love,

Ginny, I was just getting ready to send you a PM when I read your response. I remembered that Earl had been on Iressa. I appreciate you taking the time to write back so quickly.

I want you to know that I think of you often. You and Earl are always in my prayers. Love, Sharon

I recently posted a post saying that Iressa has also shown effectieness as a first line treatment. David A was on Iressa and now he going to start a new chemo, so Iressa is definately not a last ditch effort. It seems oncs are trying it all over the place, first, second, third, fourth.... Anyway wanted to put your mind at ease about that.

Oh yes, and Andrea's mom and Becky took it as a way to hopefully prevent recurrance in people who are NED.

Overall soundsl like mostly good news for your dad.

love

elaine

When my doctor put me on Iressa, that is the first question I asked..."Is this my last option?" He answered with a very positive "Absolutely NOT"! He said if Iressa does not work, he has more options up his sleeve including more clinical trials.

Just like chemo, everyone reacts differently to Iressa. Hope your husband has very few side effects.

TAnn

Hi Sharon,

I got your PM but came here first to read your post. My husband is having almost no problems with the Iressa. Here's a link that Andrea started last week that I thought was really a good idea because it contained a very interesting poll. I posted in there with a little more info about my husband's side effects. As far as it being "last ditch", in some cases that is what it is (I'm afraid it's ours), but not so in others. It's really so very new (maybe on the market a year - John or Rich could probably tell us exactly) that I think they are starting to use it more for preventive measures, too (even first line). Chemo can be so debilitating (sp?) that since the onc "isn't concerned", he probably just thinks this is a gentler approach for your dad. Also, I don't recall you mentioning his age or general health, but I really think trying the Iressa is maybe a better idea than chemo since his profile looks pretty good.

Here's the link to Andrea's very helpful thread: http://www.lchelp.com/community/viewtop ... ght=#85627

Let us know how it goes, and I hope this helps.

Love,

Peggy

Sharon,

Since your Dad had very little growth of his cancer, I think Iressa is a great idea! Chemo's side effects can be brutal on the body, especially the immune system. Irresa is not without its own negative side effects. Some get really bad diarrhea and skin rash. Don Wood's wife got Pnemonia due to it. However, when it works it really works. Some fortunate people have had complete and toatal response with it and their cancer dsappeared! I hope that it works as well for your Daddy.

Cheryl

Sharon,

I'm glad that the latest scans show the cancer to be fairly stable (my interpretation of just a hair larger), and I hope that the Iressa gets approved and works well with minimal side effects.

I hope your dad will start to cheer up; if paxil doesn't do it may one of the other meds will. Give it time to work and then talk to the doctor if you think he needs to try a different one.

Wishing you and Dad nothing but the best,

XOXOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Prayers always...

Sharon,

I too agree that your dad got good news and yes, I have met some people who are doing incredibly well on Iressa. Steve just started Iressa as a second line treatment, but I almost wish that he had been started on it when he came up clear after his first rounds of chemo and radiation. Then maybe we wouldn't have been back to the second chemo. which didn't work. Also chemo can have very damaging permanent effects, so if your dad can avoid it - go for it. Praying the Iressa works!