Coughing up black substance???

renee_ky

I do not know how to reach his Oncologist on weekends, but I think they have a message service. If not, I will contact our family Doctor, I do know how to reach him.

Thanks for the replies, I was not sure what to do. Scott says everything is "nothing".

Renee

My mom coughed up black stuff and the doctor said it was common with her type of lung cancer. She had Squamous Cell NSCLC. Most of the time her cough just produced phlegm with a bloody pink tinge, but occasionally the black stuff. She did not have radiation at all, so I know it wasnt that.

Dont ever hesitate to call the doctor though! That is their job and they expect you to.

My best,

Gayle

I beleive my husband coughed some black gunk last year when he had first began radiation, it didn't last too long, after that he had a lot of clear for a while, now he rarely coughs at all. Maybe it was caused by the radiation. I would ask the Doctor.

Hope this helps a little

Rosemary

Well, Renee, I sure am glad that it's nothing to worry about, and I am also glad that you told us about this and posted this information for everyone else to know about. That would be terribly frightening to have that happen. If anyone thinks about it that has had this happen to them, I would be interested in knowing exactly what it is that is being coughed up. So, the next time you are in your doctor's office, if time permits, please ask him/her and let us know.

Renee, again, I am so glad that Scott is ok. You and Scott are still in my prayers.

Love,

Peggy

Renee,

I am surprised it is normal and would like to know what the doctor's reply is when you ask him what it is. The only black stuff I ever heard of being coughed up is old blood. Since that doesn't seem to be what it is I am very curious. Glad you called the doctor...better than being worried all weekend.

Nina

Scott goes back for radiation again tomorrow, to end this round. While we are there, I am going to walk upstairs and ask one of the oncologists why it is normal (does not see normal) and will find out exactly what it is.

Will update a post tomorrow afternoon (after 3:00) when I find out.

Renee

Scott goes back for radiation again tomorrow, to end this round. While we are there, I am going to walk upstairs and ask one of the oncologists why it is normal (does not see normal) and will find out exactly what it is.

They thinks mets to the liver, heart, ribs, pelvic (and anywhere else) is "normal" to, so "normal" to me does not necessarily mean "no big deal" after I thought about it last night.

Will update a post tomorrow afternoon (after 3:00) when I find out.

Renee

Yes!!! Definately check with the oncologist or the radiologist about this. Old blood is black when coughed or vomited up. Also stools are black if it is from blood from the colon. The nurse in me has spoken.

I feel like the wizard behind the curtain in The Wizard of Oz, you know when he says, 'the great oz has spoken!' OK I am tired-

Love Cindy

Just wanted to let you all know that I spoke to the oncologist about 10 minutes ago, regarding this black matter that Scott is coughing up. Per the oncologist (easiest way h coudl explain it to me) when tumor is broken down, it is absorbed into the blood stream. In this case, it is "most likely" blood that was not absorbed into the blood stream, and has to come out some how. He said if this is what it is, then it is a good thing. Because if the old blood just sits there, it will make him feel quite ill. He ask that I bring Scott in tomorrow and let them check his blood count, just to make sure he is not bleeding from within. But, he said he feels confident that this is the tumor breaking, and he would call that progress.

Will let you knwo about the blood work tomorrow.

Renee