Wife DX With Stage 4 NSCLC With Mets To Brain & Spine

Bill

Since her May ' 04 diagnosis my 57 yo wife has had two lower spine surgeries to remove a large tumor, whole brain and lower spine radiation ~ 11 treatments, currently just completed her second cycle of chemo ( Gemzar, carboplatin with Kytril, decadron, weekly procrit, monthly Zometa ). Vicodin, Ativan, compazine, Flexeril on hand at home. She has lost all of her head hair and eyebrows ( from whole brain radiation TX ) and ~ 30 lbs ( ~ 140 down to ~ 110 ) The surgical incision down her lower spine is red, inflammed and painful. Curently on Levaquin 500mg. daily for 7 days even though the neurosurgeon doesn't think that it's infected. He and the oncologist are puzzled as the surgeries were in mid-May. Obviously, some sort of stubborn inflammation going on. I will know more about this on Friday when the neurosurgeon tells her his read on the bilateral hip X-rays that he just ordered ( due to her complaint of left hip pain ) along with full spine X-rays ( presumably to check the positioning of the instrumentation - she had 3 destroyed vertebrate removed now all supported by metal ). He has prepared her for the possibility that the hip pain is due to further spread of the cancer to the hip. The only good new to report at this time is that her respiratory symptoms ( i.e. bloody sputum and involuntary gasp ) have improved substantially since starting chemo. But, I'm not certain that this is necessarily an accurate indication of improvement. Just an educated guess. She is dealing with alot of chemo side effects but the irony is that the supportive drugs, specifically Kytril and to a lesser extent procrit, are producing alot of uncomfortable side effects as well. Lastly, she gets a weekly CBC. The #s are all over the map. Other than the hemoglobin value ( as a procrit indicator ) which is easy to follow I don't see how these Drs. can determine much of anything else accurately by referring to these blood values. Almost all of the #s are out of whack and some of them swing wildly from one week to the next ! Thanks for hearing me out.

Welcome Bill

I am sorry to read of your wife's diagnosis, and the discomfort she is experiencing. This is a great site - you will find people here who have been in your shoes and can provide information and support as you navigate your way through this journey.

Wishing you and your wife all the best.

Karen

Hi Bill

It sure sounds like you've been on quite the rollercoaster recently. Your wife has had alot of treatments so I hope that the next scans show better news. It is good that he respiratory symptoms have eased. Maybe that IS a sign the chemo is doing it's job :) As for the wildly swinging blood results I would ask the doctors to explain them to you! That is what they are there for, and sometimes it makes things easier when you understand better what is happening.

I wish you and your wife well. Please let us know how the appointment goes on Friday. I will be hoping for good news.

Jana

xx

Bill,

It sounds like the two of you have really been having a rough time in the last few months. I am sorry your wife is so ill. Chemo can be rough by itself but combined with radiation it is sometimes terrible. It sounds like she is responding ( I hope so) since her symptoms are better with her respiratory problems. I wish you the best of luck.

No one likes to be here but if you are in our shoes its the best place to find support and others to share your feelings with. I want to welcome you to our family. Keep us in touch and let us know how your wife is doing.

Nina

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Welcome Bill. I hope you find this board as informative and supportive as I have. You two have surely been through a lot.

Sending prayers for both of you.

Cat

Hello Bill,

Welcome to the spouses club. I am sorry to hear about your wife and all her treatments. She has really been put throught it! Hopefully it will all be worth it soon and she will start to feel better.

Hang in there and let us know what the doctor says Friday.

Rochelle

Hi Bill -

This is a great site with great people that can help you through this. I am sorry about your wife, keep your chin up and try to be strong. If you would like to vent, feel free to contact me. The only thing I can do for anyone is listen and understand, sometime it helps to talk to a stranger who is going through similar issues. The kindness of strangers has helped my alot through this process!

Good luck to you and your wife, your in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi, Bill! Welcome to the lchelp site. Much info and support here. Please keep us informed of your wife and yourself, and let us know what we may do for you. I also am a husband with an LC wife. She was diagnosed 22 months ago and given 9 months. She is still hanging in there so take heart. It would be helpful if you would go into your profile and put down a bio for your wife, so when you post it reminds us of the particulars. It will show up each time your post, as the one for Lucie below here. My heart goes out to you as the primary caregiver -- it is a tough job, but it has some high moments, too. Don

Welcome Bill. Sounds like you got off to the same start we did - Stage IV, mets to bone, brain, etc. It's a rough way to enter this journey because you start with the whole shabang. Any one of these tx would be overwhelming for someone. It's really going to take a bit of time for your wife to get back on her feet. Just keep coming back here with your questions and frustrations and we'll help each other along.

Bill,

Welcome! Sorry we all have to be here. You will find a lot of caring, knowledgeable and supportive people here. I am sorry to read that your wife is having such a hard time. Please come here often and remember we are all here to help as much as we can. Please keep us posted on how you both are doing. It's hard for you too, being the caregiver. Prayers for you and your wife...

God Bless,

Karen