Mom taken off of Iressa today

Andrea

The onc found it too toxic for her. Not one day went by w ithout severe diahrea or vomitting. ANd skin is all cracked, etc. None of the prescription meds were helping. She wanted to continue, he said no. Next up, we will investigate tarcevoa when it comes out in Nov.

She is a little bummed of course. No explanation why she handled chemo so well and not Iressa.

Andrea,

I'm GLAD your mom was taken off if it was making her that sick. How awful to have to be sick all the time!

I hope her face clears up and her tummy issues stop, post haste!

As for November - hope that new drug gives her tummy a break so she can have her turkey in peace!

hi andrea,

sorry to hear that your mother has not been tolerating the meds well. is she currently taking anything else? i don't know if you mentioned celebrex in earlier posts. also, remember that there are many people who are in remission who haven't/aren't using iressa and are doing just fine. perhaps she'll be able to start on tarceva soon for extra reassurance and piece of mind. my prayers are with you and your mom.

God bless,

mj

Andrea,

So sorry to hear that Iressa gave your mom such a hard time. Sure sounds like her body can use this break. Don't worry too much, remember those of us who can't have surgery also have to have chemo and treatment breaks from time to time to let our bodies heal.

Here's hoping your mom feels 100% better with the break!

TAnn

Andrea,

I'm sorry that Iressa didn't work out for your Mom, but I'm hoping that while she has been on it the drug did as much damage to any micro mets that might have been floating around in her system as it did to her tummy and skin.

I had a talk with my Oncologist today and she said that each of the Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Inhibitors are different in that they attack various receptors. So just because we may not have a good response to one of these drugs doesn't mean we won't respond well to another.

I hope that your Mom recovers quickly from the side effects, and is feeling better very soon. It took less than a month for my skin to clear, but once it did it looked much younger. No joke....I think Iressa thickend it somehow, and tiny wrinkles around my eyes disappeared for more than a year. That was a nice surprize.

Andrea, I was glad to see this post. I could tell from some of your other posts that your mom was really suffering from the side effects of Iressa. Since she didn't want to stop taking it, it really says a lot about her as being a very strong and determined lady. I know you are so proud of her 24 hours a day. Since she's NED, she will be ok off medication for a while and it will be good that she will start feeling better and you guys can do some more S--H--O--P--P--I--N--G!!!!!! :P:P

Love,

Peggy

Thanks everyone :) Pegg you said exactly what the oncologist said. My mom goes "no really I can stay on it." And he said " I know, you would stay on it if I said to, I think that is the saddest part." :) He was teasing. Heehee.

No more running to the restroom in Nordstroms and scaring me like she did this weekend. She can do a leisurely walk when she needs to go from now on ;) Hopefully at least. Heehee

We asked why Iressa didn't like her. He said that is like asking why isn't there world peace, there is no answer.

Fay--he said the same thing as your doc today about the different drugs.

Andrea,

Even though your sweet mom has to go off Iressa, it is good. Our bodys work best with no meds. For every challange they help our body meet, they give the body added challanges and stresses. The human body is an ncredible miracle in how well it works. Your Moms body needs a break from the toxins they use to cure this beast. Hugs to you and Mom and go shopping for me one time. I seldom have energy for it, but it is one of my favorite things to do.

Blessings

Betty