Quick note....

kimblanchard

Mike finally got enough pain medication to knock out the pain. However, they took an ultrasound and said there wasn't any fluid to remove.

CTCA wants me to fax the report to them to determine what our next step should be! I also talked to pain management at CTCA and they were surprized that the doctor here was only "upping the dosage" every other day. Maybe that's why the pain got ahead of him. CTCA said that we would have to keep turning up the dosage because he was no where near where he needed to be. I'm assuming with the increasing size of the liver - the pain pump wasn't coming close to cutting the pain!

At nine o'clock tonight I finally asked for the THIRD time for something for Mike to eat....I got a can of Boost when I went out and demanded that they get it for me immediately so I could give it to him and he drank the whole thing.

I wrote on the white board in the room...Mike hasn't had anything to eat except one can of Boost today...please feed him.

Also I wrote on the board he hadn't urinated all day and they did nothing about it. I mentioned it three times and they still didn't catheretize him. They kept saying they would do an ultrasound on his bladder to see if there was anything in there....

I'm about ready to charter a plane and take him back to CTCA before he is totally dehydrated, totally malnourished. I'm so feed up with the care he has received at this hospital - I'm going to file a grievance.

I'm tired, I'm going to bed.....And I'm crabby....but I believe there is righteous anger....and I'm ticked!

Love and hugs,

I am thinking of you, you are in my prayers and i hope things get better, do they have him on a pain patch i found that it worked better, but Mark also got other pain med along with the patch, they should let him have what ever he needs not to be in pain.

Take Care

Sandy

Shannon that is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! what kind of cancer floor are they??? and if not a cancer floor....a hospital floor. I know at mass general they had a fridage with boosts, this generic soda called shasta (i used to joke with my dad if he wanted a shasta McNasty ginger ale) juices etc. and ANYONE OF US could go in there at anytime to get him something. As far as food???? More in awe!!!!!! Do they not have the sheet that looks like a number 2 test final that you can pick his meals?? how can they not???? 3 times daily my dad got whatever (even if he didn't fill it out they would pick according to his disease and diet constraints) that is just not right!!!!! so not right!!! I would contatc the hospital heads for cripe sakes. I would contact the damn news!!!!!

Shannon -

WHAT AN OUTRAGE!! :evil: I get sooooo angry at these "professionals" sometimes!! I know there is a shortage of nurses, etc, but we are dealing with someone's LIFE here!! I will continue to keep you both in my prayers for some comfort for Mike and you both!!

Hopefully today will be a better day........

Terrie

I am so angry with you re: the care you are getting at the hospital, I would demand to see the hospital social worker, it's their job to help you if you are having problems, not just outside the hospital but internally also. Is your husband in a designated cancer ward? If he isn't and there is a bed available in the cancer ward, I would asked to be transferred. I am praying you get the answers and help you need soon. I feel your fustration and your are doing the right thing. Jump up and down on nurses station if you have too until you get what you want, take care and keep up the fight!

As a nurse I have seen the profession go down the drain in the last 10yrs to something that is horrendous. It seems every few take any pride in their work much less have any "care" for their patients. I left the hospital scene in 1993, and I will never go back. Had my own parents suffer terribly while in the hospital and complaints never got me very far. It seems administration doesn't care either. For valid complaints go straight to Medicare. They will investigate and the hospitals hate to see them coming.

Shannon,

I feel so bad for you two, what is going on there..I bet I know exactly what they are saying to you. They are saying they are so short staffed and they are prioritizing and they will get to it as soon as they can in order of importance..My dad was in that situation once, they act like its our fault they dont have enough help..I asked one of the nurses once, cant they hire people just to do to the running around stuff, like getting fresh water, clean clothes or meals. She looked at me as if I insulted her. So I guess that was out of the question...I hope your day is better tomorrow..

P:S I really like how you wrote on the board!!!

I am furious. And I absolutely believe everything you are saying. I encountered some pretty interesting things while in the hospital for the removal of my right lung. After the first problem a member of my family stayed in the room with me almost 24/7 from then on. If there is any way at all for someone to stay please find a way to do so. I just hope that once we are able to start local support groups we can find a way to help one another with just this kind of thing.... Fay A.

Shannon,

I am angry for you but not completely surprised. With all my father's hospital stays for lymphoma we have stories to share as well. My mother wrote a letter to the board of one particular hospital. Our onc said he never sends anyone there anymore either, after the way my father was treated.

Its terrible, just terrible. Know that prayers are going up tonight.