Maybe shouldn't be here

cihavi

:oops: At this site I mean. For the last nine months I have been doing a waiting game having had three ct's with no noticible change...up till the last one. I am going for a pet today. The thing I don't understand, I think the pulmonary docs assistant said the one nodule looked smaller than previously reported. So isn't that a good thing why do I have to have a pet???

Geez I am really sorry...My name is Janet I am a 52yo smoker(I could really kick myself) and I guess I am just a little scatterbrained due to all the confusing thoughts going through my head.

As to "maybe shouldn't be here" I mean I have not been diagnosed with any kind of cancer but I know what a pet is for and I am very scared.

Hi Janet

This is a good place to be while you are waiting on results - we all know how scary it is!

I hope your PET scan proves to be unremarkable, and that you can go on with your life and never have to think about cancer again!! If, on the other hand, things are not so great, then you have come to the right place. I know it is hard, but try not to worry too much until you know for sure whether there is something to be worried about. If it IS cancer, you'll have plenty of time to worry later on!

I wish you well - do let us know how your results turn out.

Karen

I think this is a good place for you to be. One sister had indeterminate lung nodules that the doctor watched for some time. CT's every 3 months. Then he decided that he wanted to do a PET after an inconclusive bronchial washing. I am glad that he did. It helped to ease my sister's mind, and mine too, since lung ca runs so strongly in our generation.

Wishing you a clear pet.

Cindi o'h

I posted this a while ago.

Well yesterday I got to the meeting of twin cities thoracic Onocology Consortium. Very Interesting day. Since I was told I had 2 nodules this spring that part would be of interest to me!

Dr Swenson of Mayo spoke re low dose Spiral CT for early diagnosis as a screening tool. In 1998 they had 4520 volunteers , 50 and older + smokers. In 5 yrs they found 68 with Stage I cancer. They found 3356 Nodules, or 74% of the patients had nodules! Of these nodules 98% were benign. He said there are 50,000 people in the national screening study. So far no one yet recommends screening. It could lead to a 10 % mortality reduction, but it is too costly to follow up on all those benign or slow growing ( as BAC) tumors. 10 % reduction is saving 16,000 people!.

He said the ideal would be to come up with a serum test for lung cancer. - Boy that would be nice.

_________________I think to save a life follow up on nodules in well worth it. Glad to see your doctor thinks so also. Welcome. Have they thought of doing a CT guided needle biopsy? Donna G

Thankyou guys. I feel a little more at ease now. It probably is going to turn out to be nothing. But truly thankyou for not making me think I'm crazy. After reading about your experiences, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. I guess I will post the out come on the good news section next Wednesday.

You have come to the right place to wait. We have all been there, done that. However, that being said, I hope your PET shows nothing to worry about and that you can go about your life without this hanging over your head. I will look forward to Clear Scan post from you next Wednesday.

Nina

Welcome for now.... I hope you don't belong here later.... but it's a great place to be when you need comfort and friends. It sounds like the perfect place for you to be at this moment. Perhaps in the future you will feel that this is an inappropriate forum for you. I certainly hope so. :wink: For now, let us wait with you.