Did you Lose Your Eyebrows?

kimblanchard

I have kind of a dumb question for everyone, did you lose your eyebrows from chemo? I lost my hair approx. 3 weeks after I started Chemo, got the wig then. THe wig looked fine when I got it, everybody liked it, etc. The past few weeks I noticed the wig looks strange on me, too dark, etc., then I noticed that my eyebrows have really thinned out and that is what is making the wig look so weird! The eyebrows are also lighter, probably because they are so thin, I always had very thick eyebrows and used to have them waxed once a month. I kind of hope I won't lose all of them, I have a friend who went through chemo last year from breast cancer and she lost all of her eyebrows and eyelashes and it just made her look so tired! Its no big deal in the scope of things but just wondered if anyone had any expierience with this type of hair loss

Bess B

Hi Bess,

You know I lost my hair 3 weeks after chemo and ended up

getting two wigs. I know my eyelashes fell out no hair on legs

or under my arms. I'm not sure if I lost all of my eyebrows. I kn0w

I put think line of a darker eye shadow near my eye lashes and

drew in myeye brows. Also put eye liner underneath my eyes, and

nobody knew the diffeence. It all came back. The hair on my legs

started to look like a gurella. Everything is back to normal now.

God Bless you,

Marsha

______________________________________________________________ag 61, dx 12/01 Adenocarcinoma Stage 11B nsclc, 1/02 had right

lung removed,4/02 spread to lymph nodes restaged 1V. Had 6 chemo

treatments of Taxol/carboplatin beginning 5/02 ending 8/28/02- been

in remission since and very great ful for it.

It is so funny that you posted this, because I just got online to come and post a new topic "WE HAVE EYEBROWS" !!!! LOL !!! Tim had 6 treatments with Carboplatin and Taxol and lost most of his hair (although we shaved his head early on), his eyelashes and his eyebrows...not to mention a few other places....

His last treatment was 5/27 and his hair has really started to grow back in...but tonight when I got home from work..I noticed EYEBROWS !!!

We had a funny moment with that one...I was even clapping. The dog ws looking at us like we were crazy.

It was just so nice to have a "light" moment for a change...we are starting Iressa tomorrow and he sees a radiation oncologist on the 18th for the mets to his vertebrae....Still praying for a miracle..for everyone !

Kathy

I have a few--- very few eybrows :D My eyelashes are also gone. I have NO complaints about the hair being gone on my legs, under my arms, on my arms and other places :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I also went into early menopause 2 months into chemo in 2001. See chemo does have it's pluses. :D

Bess,

You might want to call your local ACS chapter. I know here in NY they run a program called"look good, feel better" (or something similar). They teach women on chemo makeup application and offer help with their "appearance". Sounds like a nice program...

BTW...yes, my Dad lost his eyebrows 20 years ago during his first go-round and like the rest of the hair...it will return! :D

Best to you,

Lynn

Bess,

My eyebrows & lashes thinned. Since I wore different colored wigs I adjusted my brow color accordingly. Same w/eye-liner. Have fun w/it. If you have the patience, you can even use false eyelashes!

I liked not having hair everywhere else!

Luckily, so far, Keith still has his brows and lashes (especially lucky since he has the most beautiful eyes). Last week Keith and I had a good laugh because for the past two weeks he's been seeing a lot of hair in the tub. He was looking at his hair repeatedly everyday, and it looked the same, plus there was no hair on his pillow or shoulders. Then one day I noticed that his legs were nearly completely hairless. He was so concerned about losing his hair on his head, he never looked lower. I guess you had to be there, but we thought it was funny.

Keith just started losing his hair this past week. We shaved his head Wednesday night and that was pretty traumatic. He has been depressed and moody since, and doesn't want me looking at him. He has said many times that he was expecting it, but really didn't want to lose the hair because he didn't want to look a cancer patient. I am really hoping he doesn't lose the eyebrows or lashes. That would just tear him up.

Luckily, so far, Keith still has his brows and lashes (especially lucky since he has the most beautiful eyes). Last week Keith and I had a good laugh because for the past two weeks he's been seeing a lot of hair in the tub. He was looking at his hair repeatedly everyday, and it looked the same, plus there was no hair on his pillow or shoulders. Then one day I noticed that his legs were nearly completely hairless. He was so concerned about losing his hair on his head, he never looked lower. I guess you had to be there, but we thought it was funny.

Keith just started losing his hair this past week. We shaved his head Wednesday night and that was pretty traumatic. He has been depressed and moody since, and doesn't want me looking at him. He has said many times that he was expecting it, but really didn't want to lose the hair because he didn't want to look a cancer patient. I am really hoping he doesn't lose the eyebrows or lashes. That would just tear him up.

Carleen TRUST ME my dad felt the same way. It was the worst part of all of it cause the man had a full head of hair very thick and a moustache almost all his adult life. His hair thinned to the point it was very umm wispy but never completely went bald but I am sure if he continued it would have. His eyebrows lashes and moustache got thin. But never fell out completely. funny thing thought was when he stopped chemo for a month he by accident started growing a goatee and he looked so cute. They cleaned him up for the funeral and he looked AWESOME and I was very adamant saying he ALWAYS had a moustache I have never in all my life seen him without so PULLLEASE make a special note to NOT touch that but clean everything else. It is hard for men I think more then some are willing to admit.

Hugh lost every single bit of hair EXCEPT his eyebrows which got very thin. I guess he was fortunate in that he really didn't care. He kept his hair in a buzz anyways and was getting thin. He has just never been overly concerned about his hair at all. His is now growing back and is returning totally white. That doesn't seem to bother him either.

The good news here for all the guys is that BALD in actually in style! It may not be the style they would choose but many men are shaving their heads now.

Dear Bess and All,

Okay, I got screwed!!! I lost the hair on my head, under my arms, my eyelashes and eyebrows, and pubic's thinned and I NEVER LOST ONE HAIR OFF MY LEGS!!!! HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN???? :twisted::twisted:

I had several wigs (different colors) and I had a ball with them, hope you do too!!!

Carlene, I shaved my head too when it just started to fall out, and I too thought I was ready, prepared, etc.... for the blad look! WRONG!!! :roll::cry::?:shock: It took about a week for me to get over that hump!!!

Warm and Gentle Hugs to All,

MY BUDDY LOST HIS LEFT EYEBROW. THE RIGHT ONE IS FINE. HE TO WANTED HIS HEAD SHAVED BEFORE THE HAIRS CAME OUT ALL OVER. HE LIKES IT SO MUCH, HE WANTS TO KEEP IT THAT WAY. I HAVEN'T DECIDED YET, I AM THE BARBER.....

WHO KNOWS, A BALD HEAD MAY CAUSE PEOPLE TO STOP SMOKING. MAYBE ON SMOKE-OUT DAY WE CAN GET ALL OUR FRIENDS TO SHAVE THEIRS TOO. WHO KNOWS, MAYBE THE WHOLE WORLD. MAYBE PRESIDENT BUSH.....I AM GAMED........HOW ABOUT YOUALL.

Norme - talking about bald heads making people quit smoking made me want to share this story. The other night we were out at the races and two little kids (12-14?) sat in front of us and promptly took out cigarettes. My quiet husband poked one of them on the shoulder and said "You aren't going to light that are you?" The young man ignored him and he tapped his shoulder again and removed his hat and said "See that I don't have any hair? Do you know why? I'm having chemotherapy because I have lung cancer and I got it from smoking those things". One of the boys never did light his cigarette, the other did. Hugh then (smiling) asked him to exhale the other way. He smoked throughout the night and wouldn't even LOOK at Hugh. Hugh was good natured about it and would pretend to cough and choke everytime he lit a cigarette. I doubt it made either kid quit, but it might make them think about it. At least one of them didn't smoke for one night.

Thank god The only hair I lost was my go tee, and my head (which I was bald anyway The hair on my head was hurting me so bad I had to shave it. Every time I lay my head down it felt like It was beng pulled out. I wanted to keep my go tee but all the dark hairs fell out first then the gray hairs. Still got Eye brows and lashes