PET SCAN / CT SCAN / ( FUSION ) ?

Bill

A few questions for those of you familiar with this order. My wife's med onc wrote a script for her to have a " PET scan / CT scan " but he also mentioned the word " fusion " as part of the testing. But, there's no mention of fusion on the RX.

1.) Is the combo PET / CT scan mainly for convenience and therefore can the PET scan be performed separate from the CT scan ? If not, why not ?

2.) The CT scan doesn't specify part(s) of body to be scanned. Is this because when it's written as part of a PET / CT scan combo it's understood what body parts are to be scanned ( i.e. chest / abd / pelvis ) ?

3.) Is FUSION not written on the order because it's automatically included as part of a PET scan and / or PET / CT scan order ?

4. ) Based on what I've told you above is this RX properly written for a PET scan / CT scan / Fusion ?

THANKS MUCH !

Good question Bill,

I believe a Pet scan and a ct scan are totally separate tests. With the pet scan you are given radioactive glucose 45 minutes before the test then put in the scanner.

Maybe the combination as it is writtten just means she is having a pet scan?

Don't know. I am sure that others will chime in though with the correct info.

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Wendy

There is a new test called a pet/CT fusion scan. It looks like the script was written correctly. The fusion is an assumed part of the name--ie the scans are "fused". It's basically a full body scan that combines the features of both.

elaine

Is it your impression that the PET scan and CT scans could be done as two separate procedures, if necessary, without compromising the evaluation ? That is, the PET scan performed at one location then the CT scans performed separately at another ? Don't ask me why because I don't know the reason but the med onc office has informed me that the hospital that they faxed the order to told them that they either can't or won't perform a combo PET / CT fusion. They will perform the PET scan only. So, I either dig up a facility that does the PET / CT combo or I piecemeal the two procedures.

Thanks.

Bill,

There are only a few facilities that have the new combined PET/CT scan machines. This is the latest technology that is suppose to be better than doing the tests separately because there can be better correlation of the results. Doing the tests separately is still the most common way it is done. The specific results should be the same either way. Take care.

Bill,

CT-PET Fusions are considered a more accurate informative study. My docs insist on them because I have multiple medical issues that make navigating my insides difficult (Polycystic Disease of multiple organs, Crohn's, Three Thoracotomies with resulting scarring, missing lung, missing ribs, broken ribs, and a few other issues). The docs say that by doing the fusion they can better distinguish areas that are worrisome for cancer, inflamation, cystic disease, Crohn's lesions, etc.

They do a "full body scan" which really encompasses from the skull to the upper thighs. If there is a problem they can do the legs. A separate specific study needs to be done of the head, though, if ruling out brain mets or skull mets (not certain why this is, but it is what I was told.)

I had a PET/CT about a year and a half ago. I pushed for it. The two onc.'s that I talked to about it, were not that excited about it. I haven't returned to the facility for another....no need for another PET, right now.

I just get my usual CT's for check-ups now.

Cindi o'h

I was told by my docs that a seperate PET and CT Scan, that are then "fused" together, overlapping one another, gives a better read than the combo PET/CT Machines that are around right now.

At my particular hospital, the PET and CT are done seperately, and then the results are sent to another facility for "fusing", which takes a few days.

I don't understand it, but it sounds interesting!

Dear Bill,

When I had my Pet Scan & CT Scan, they were indeed 2 seperate tests. However, so that they can get a better view of exactly where everything was in the proper relation to one another, they took the 2 scans & overlaid them, fused them together so that the images were combined.

Hope that helps.

Melanie