It's Three Years Today~

Ry

Congratulations and wishing you many more. I never know how I feel on my anniversaries. It is a very strange feeling that I don't know how to express. I'm happy but also fearful. My fourth anniversary is July 16 and then I will be going for the big five.

Ry and John,

It is June 13th now (early morning) so I am wishing you the best "going on 4 years" ever. It is so obvious that you two love each other and your entire family. It makes me very happy to know you guys are doing well. Now lets get on to celebrating many more years of survivorship.

Nina

Thank you to everyone for your congratulations, celebrations, toasts, advice, inspiring hope, and the many more years of survivorship.

A very special thank you to my beautiful in every way wife, Rochelle, without her I would have never made it this far.To my very thoughtful and proud daughter, Caitlin, who checked on me and brought me stuff when I was down with chemo. To my should have gone for the sports car son, Tyler, I'll explain later. To my loving little Jillian, who doesn't know much yet but just loves me..

I'll explain the "should have gone for the sports car".

Shortly after my diagnosis my 1990 van died in the driveway. Rochelle said," You need a new car.You can get any new car you want." I chose another van of the same make and even same color, just brand new. I just could not see a family of five in a two seater sports car. Tyler is thinking,"Oh I could be driving a sports car instead of his van." Tyler drives my van on a occasion.

Thanks again everyone. We should celebrate, because we have worked very hard to get me this far. Maybe this week I'll celebrate with chickens and veggies on the barbie.

Ry, after just passing my first -- meaning that I'm still here after not knowing last year if I'd still be around -- the meaning to me was the obvious - YAY! Now, could I have imagined 5 years ago that I'd be celebrating surviving for one year? Nope.

It is a mixed feeling -- at least it was for my first "anniversary," but I'll be happy to have it, I guess, since it means I'm still here - again!

My father died on Dec. 12th - my brother's birthday. Every time that date approaches, I know it's time to wish my brother a happy BD, but I also think of my dad. And he died in 1975 -- will be 30 years ago this December. How time flies.

So, those milestone dates just sort of stick with us in some way -- we each have our own reasons and motivations.

I'll celebrate yours and John's milestone date, because I'm glad you are both around here while I am, and look forward to a continuing "relationship" in this forum with the both of you.

Di

Congrations to Mr. & Mrs. Ry! Three years is a milestone and I believe a reason to celebrate. I believe that we should celebrate each day of life even those days when we wonder what it's all for.

A good friend of mine lost her 47 year old partner to an aneurysm in February of this year. She asked me the other day, after she saw Ron for the first time since his reoccurence looking weak and moving a little slowly, if I thought that the way her man went was better. I reacted with a big "no way" and Ron certainly agrees. He's battled to get back to "normal" last year and he did it. He appreciates and enjoys life much more than he ever did. He had a wonderful period of remission for several months. He's gone back into an even bigger battle this time and he's even more adamant to be alive.

I'm sorry but I am one of the ones who says we're 13 months, 14 months etc. since the official diagnosis. We're proud of that. We see the faces of those who've been newly diagnosed (and who have read the bleak statistics) light up when they see a Stage IV lung cancer survivor who has remained active (most of the time) and is living life with energy and enthusiasm.

You guys have all seen that look on the faces of people when you tell them that you or someone you love has lung cancer. That, "oh" lowered voice reaction, then the slight bowing of the head and then ever slow shaking of the head from side to side gets to me.

What better way to educate people than to give them the accurate message. I remember only too well the devastation, the sleepness nights, the tears etc. for several weeks after the initial diagnosis. I wish I had had someone who could have given me something to believe in when I thought we would have 3 - 6 months. I tell everyone I know that Ron's close to his 15 month anniversary - and I'm so proud of him.

I'm sure that you're very proud too. Kudos to both of you.

Janet