Back To Back Cliffhangers

Bill

Cliffhanger # 1 is tomorrow ( Saturday ) as my wife gets her monthly comprehensive metabolic panel along with her weekly CBC. Waiting on the results of this month's comprehensive metabolic panel is particularly nerveracking. Her ALP level didn't drop last month ( vs. the April value ). It actually went up a few points. This followed a dramatic and encouraging drop in her ALP during March and April. Also, her bilirubin level unexpectedly shot up last month ( more than double the previous month's level ). Her other liver enzymes remained relatively unchanged but the big bilirubin jump was still surprising and upsetting. Made us think about the large quantity of acetaminophen consumed with the Vicodin ES. It has been reported that Tarceva can cause transient abnormalities in liver function values. Given the alternatives I hope that this is the cause. Anybody on Tarceva ( or Iressa ) seen their bilirubin or other liver function values suddenly escalate ? If her bilirubin level doesn't drop back down with tomorrow's report we have another issue to face. Cliffhanger # 2 is the aforementioned CT scans scheduled for 6/28.

Bill

Thanks for the update I just read on another thread. Very few days go by that I don't think of the remarkable turn your wife took when you were able to get Tarceva to her.

I wish continued good news and many, many happy years.

love and fortitude

elaine

Bill,

I had my 6 week CT scan today along with x-ray and blood work. I'm a little concerned about my liver function as I have been on Advil or Lortab every 4 hours for about 4 weeks now. I'll get my results on Wednesday.

Hoping all is well with your wife's tests.

TAnn

Bill,

Thinking of you both. Things are a wreck in my world right now, so I can't access my past lab results to give you comparisons, and I don't want to "misspeak". Headaches are still with me, and I'm not the sharpest tack on the bulliten board right now, so I can't pull the information-in accurate detail-from memory. Having said all that, I wanted to let you know that my ALP levels have been rising, but so far scans indicate no evidence of disease. I have what appear to be 3 bone cysts in the head of the right humerus, plus problems with the right shoulder itself that will be surgically corrected once we get the headache issue defined and treated. My Oncologist has told me that she believes that the elevated ALP is caused by the right humerus/shoulder. There are specific blood tests that can be done to distinquish between elevated ALP brought about by Liver disorders, bone disorders, etc. They docs don't usually run those labs, and to my knowledge my Doc has not done those tests. But this month they will be asked for specifically.

Hoping your wife's scans stay stable or show improvement. I think of you each day and wish you well.

Thanks to all for the replies. I have my wife's 6/25 hematology reports. Both her weekly CBC and her monthly comprehensive metabolic panel. Unfortunately, lots of bad looking stuff on the comprehensive metabolic panel report, mainly pointing to liver dysfunction. Her RBCs and related values (h'globin, h'crit, etc. ) on her CBC took a hit but that's par for the course and was expected. No surprise there. The panel report is a mess. It shows her total bilirubin and globulin high, total protein and albumin low. Her albumin dropped all the way down to 3.1. Her A/G ratio is now less than 1. To add to the emotional trauma I get a call out of the blue last night from an acquaitance who's sister has late stage NSCLC. Multiple complications including her sister's albumin plunged to ~ 1.5. She swelled up like a balloon, they hospitalized her yesterday and she died ! Don't known what to make of this mess. I know that pain meds ( esp. with acetaminophen ) and Tarceva are associated with liver damage or at least distortion of some liver function values. My wife's regular treating physicians are of little help here as they pay little to no attention to these #s. The tests are ordered as a routine matter and the results are filed away. Her hemoglobin level is monitored and noted for administration and billing of Procrit, of course. Every time I question a treating physician or OCN about an abnormal lab value I get the same answer. Don't concern yourself much with these #s as they are all over the map with cancer patients. She sees her PCP on 6/30. I'll mention this to him but I expect the same useless reply. For those of you with access to your lab work and that have an interest in these #s, please post some of your data and / or any input that you've gotten on the subject from your docs. Thanks. This has turned into a very disturbing situation.

Hi Bill: I am not up on all the numbers and stuff for liver function, I have not really tracked it in my case, but the oncologist says my liver numbers are good. This Thursday I finish 4 rounds of gemzar/carboplatin. For what it is worth, I have been taking milk thistle supplements , 2 caps, twice a day. Supposedly, it helps keep the liver numbers normal when doing chemo.

Don M

Hi Bill,

I saw your other post about the CT scans coming soon, and I wish your wife nothing but good results.

On the lab results, I know nothing. I did look at my husband's reports to try to compare. Last month, his albumin was 4.3. It shows the range for normal to be 3.2 to 5.2, so 3.1 (your wife's result) doesn't sound too bad.

His lab results show a bunch of highs and lows, but none of them are very far high or low and I've been told repeatedly, both by the onc and by Dr. Cunningham that these slightly "out of range" numbers don't mean much. The only one my husband has had that gives me some concern are his lymphs, which have dropped the last two reports: 17 last month and 11 on 6/7; range is 20-50, so I think "11" sounds a little more than slightly out-of-range. He gets new blood work on Wed., so if this number drops further, I'll ask about it. His RBC and hemoglobin were both a little low and WBC a little high on 6/7, so I'm hoping the 6/9 Alimta he received doesn't cause those numbers to change much. RBC, hemoglobin, platelets and WBC are what they have to watch closely with Alimta, and they have to watch creatinine for the Zometa that he gets to strengthen his bones.

May you should ask on Ask the Experts.

Don't forget to let us know how the CT scan results go.

Love,

Peggy