New here

Guest I love my Daddy

Guest I love my Daddy

:cry: Hi my name is Brandy and I am 22 almost 23. I just found out today that my father has Cancer. He never told me what kind it is but I'm pretty sure it is Lung since that runs in the family. I just wanted to jion a group since I tend to kinda get mad at everything and everyone when i am hurt or scared and thought that something like this might help me.

Thanks

Brandy

Hi Brandy. Welcome. So sorry to hear about your Dad. As you say you are 22 , he must be fairly "young" also. You say lung cancer runs in your family. Do you live at home or out of state etc. Is your Dad going through therapy? Keep us posted. Donna G

Welcome to the board, but sorry you find yourself here. When you get more info on your Dad's specific condition write back. There are many people here who do care and can address your specific questions based on your Dad's diagnosis. Also many caregivers are here who can help you specifically with emotions and practical issues as they come up. Welcome, Brandy.

Joanie

Hi Brandy.

I think the hardest part of being diagnosed is right in the very beginning. There are so many unknowns. It is so common for people to be completely off kilter during this time. When you have more information and there is a plan of action, I PROMISE you, you will feel a whole lot better. This is the toughest time, right now. We are here for you!

cindi o'h

Dear Brandy,

First of all, I have also read your others posts.

Our son was 26 when we learned of his dad's diagnosis. He, too, reacted in anger, fear, and also in a lot of other negative and destructive ways. Please read the following very carefully to the end:

Initially, his dad (my husband) was diagnosed with 8 brain tumors that had spread from the lung cancer. These were all fairly small when compared to what I am about to explain that happened. My husband was in the hospital the next day after the tumors were discovered. The oncologist and another doctor were viewing the MRI films in the hospital room. They were not talking to us yet. They kept picking them up, looking, and picking them up again. Some of the films showed very, very large areas of "white". Our son was watching and we could see his face turning red and he was clenching his fists.

Suddenly, he stomped out of the room and said "This is b*@LLH*^%! We were intent on waiting for what the doctors had to say and did not follow our son. The doctor explained that the "white" area was edema (fluid) and that steroids (Decadron) would take care of that and get rid of the headaches. Sure enough - less than 24 hours later, the headaches were gone.

Here's my point. Our son ASSUMED that those large white areas were all cancer and that his dad's brain was FILLED with cancer. He literally fell apart and caused us and other people a lot of additional problems that we didn't need at the time. He literally disappeared for 2 days. If he would have just been patient and waited he would have known that ALL OF THAT was not cancer.

Brandy, that was nearly TWO YEARS AGO, and his dad is still doing pretty good. Our son got counseling, is now 28 years old, and has learned to better cope with this disease - the good and the bad.

Please, please, please learn all you can and try to stay calm and be helpful to your parents. At this point, you don't even know if it's cancer. If you are having such a hard time dealing with a potential cancer diagnosis and your parents know it, and they probably do, they may try to protect you by withholding further information. We did!

Lots of prayers for patience coming your way.

Love,

Peggy

Guest I love my Daddy

Thanks for the replys. I am tring to learn to understand what is going on and try not to jump to any type of conclusions. The one thing u all should understand is that my parents are not married any more.

Thanks

Brandy