A Scary Question

Hello All,

I have a question for you. My husbands coloring seems to be changing. More of a yellowish but nothing major. I just noticed it yesterday. Also he seems to be making mistakes that he normally wouldn't make. I feel like something is not right. Should I pull the Dr. to the side on Tues. and mention it or does it seem like I'm being overprotective? It's hard to know what to do. He's just entering his 4th week of radiation and has had 3 courses of chemo (etopiside and carboplatin).

Cheryl

Cheryl,

I would suggest calling the doctor now. You'll get the answering exchange and the doctor on call will talk to you. I believe you will be told to get your hubby to an emergency room. Yellow coloring normally means jaundice and that the liver isn't functioning at 100%.

A doctor would know better, and would know more of his history, but yellow is not a good color to be if you are not a canary.

Don't PANIC, but talk to a doctor - and if you can't reach one due to holiday weekend, take him to the ER. (I wouldn't wait until Tuesday, especially with confusion in the mix.)

Good luck,

Becky

Cheryl,

First of all, you are not being overprotective, you are just being observant. With cancer, that's a good way to be.

Is it difficult to talk to your husband about it? It is with mine, so assuming that's the case, how do you feel about just telling him that you have noticed his skin color has a yellow tone to it and that it should be reported to the doctor as soon as possible.

If he's the kind that just doesn't want to hear it, then you have no choice but to pull the doctor aside and call it to his attention. He may or may not notice it anyway. It's been my experience that they DON'T always notice some things.

Becky's right that there's a good chance that something's up with his liver. It could be the cancer or it could be from treatment, or it could be from something else, but in any case, it should not be ignored.

Love,

Peggy

Hello All,

Thank you so much for your quick responses. I mentioned to my husbands sister that he didn't look right but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I noticed the coloring wasn't right. Then he made alot of mistakes converting a boat. Normally he is sooooo precise with anything like that. The worst thing he'll do is "torkinate" any screws or bolts and break them. (I've always called him the torkinator) But this time he made plans and changed things around. Then found out it wouldn't work that way and change them around again. This all required drilling holes in the boat. I will call the Dr. on the lamb as my husband will tell me that I'm being rediculous. Thank you again.

Cheryl

Cheryl,

You're doing the right thing. Your intuition is probably pretty accurate when it comes to your husband. Hope things are allright. It's good for me to think about, because I might be the one not noticing things one day that my husband will notice.

Cheryl, I'm glad you're making the step to contact the doctor. Sometimes, caregivers have to make these decisions and make these calls. I know, in my case, I had to call the doctor aside quite often when Dennis went for office visits. To hear Dennis's version of things, there was never any problem and everything was always just fine, regardless of what was really happening. That was the determination in him...determination to beat this monster. By admitting it was getting the best of him would have been a statement of defeat on his part. I hope this is all just a false alarm and everything is fine.

Hello All,

Well, apparently I'm a worry wart. The Dr. thinks it's probably due to the treatment and his coloring is much better today. Of course when the Dr. asked Jake questions Jake replied that he felt great. Which is a good thing. Thamk you all for the support and prayers. Sorry I'm an alarmist (I guess).

God Bless.

Cheryl