Newly Dx'd, Probably losing rt lung.

rvillella

I am newly dx'd with NSCLC, don't know exactly what type, Stage is iffy right now. They did the PET on 13 july but it was inconclusive. The Pulmonary people are telling me that they will need to go in and look at the lymph nodes and take some samples which looks like it will be next week sometime. The surgeon is telling me that they will have to take the whole lung and I have a few questions about all that. I'm not sure what to expect in the way of how it will change my life. Will I still be able to work? Will I be able to have sex? Will I be able to do all the things I do now? Any Info would be helpful.

Ralph

I'm not sure what to expect in the way of how it will change my life. Will I still be able to work? Will I be able to have sex? Will I be able to do all the things I do now? Any Info would be helpful.

Ralph,

You should be able to do all the things you currently do - just not the day after surgery. If you aren't having sex now, that probably won't change.... :wink:

But if you are asking if you'll be able to and WANT to, the answer would be a resounding YES!

I don't know what kind of work you do, if it's extremely physical, there may be some limitations. If you're a desk jockey, you'll be FINE.

Take care, and good luck!

Becky

Hi Ralph...

I still have my lung. Gotta tell you, man, if you can get that lung outta there, you will be much better off!

But, there are other people who will be along who are one-lungers who will give you their perspective on the whole thing.

This is all still new to you. You will have lots and lots of questions. This is a good place to ask and get them answered. There will be someone here who has "been there, done that" and can give you straight up answers based on our own experience.

Good luck with everything to follow! Will be looking for updates on your progress.

Cindi o'h

In June of 2003, I was newly diagnosed with NSCLC. I had the upper left lobe removed in June of 2003, underwent chemo in August, Sept, Oct, and early November, and now, two years later, I probably feel at least as good as I've felt in a long time, and probably better.

Exercise is mandatory now--my surgeon insisted I start an exercise program as soon as possible after surgery. At every subsequent appointment with him, he has checked on that exercise thing with me. When he sent me off with instructions to come back in a year this last time (yeah!), he said, "Keep up the exercise."

It's important to your lung function after losing part of your lung to get exercise. It sure won't be an all at once thing, it's a gradual buildup. When I first got home from the hospital, I wanted to walk around my cul-de-sac in a week. I started with a spin around the perimeter of my back yard, and built up to the cul-de-sac in about a week, but at first, a shower was a big job. Take it slow, but add on every day if you can.

A lot will depend on your lung function going in,but they will do pulmonary function tests prior to surgery, if you will be getting surgery. Your surgeon can discuss all these issues with you too and tell you what you can expect after surgery.

I did return to work (desk job) a little over two weeks after surgery, and can do everything I did before surgery. I am very grateful for my good fortune.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cindy

Welcome Ralph,

I see you've met Becky. Did you notice she went right for the sex part of you question? Watch out for her :lol: (just kidding Beck don't hurt me).

Please post again with more details about the type of work you do and you may get more input on that issue. I hope it turns out you have no reason to join a lung cancer support board. Good luck.

Rochelle

In June of 2003, I was newly diagnosed with NSCLC. I had the upper left lobe removed in June of 2003, underwent chemo in August, Sept, Oct, and early November, and now, two years later, I probably feel at least as good as I've felt in a long time, and probably better.

Exercise is mandatory now--my surgeon insisted I start an program as soon as possible after surgery. At every subsequent appointment with him, he has checked on that exercise thing with me. When he sent me off with instructions to come back in a year this last time (yeah!), he said, "Keep up the exercise."

It's important to your lung function after losing part of your lung to get exercise. It sure won't be an all at once thing, it's a gradual buildup. When I first got home from the hospital, I wanted to walk around my cul-de-sac in a week. I started with a spin around the perimeter of my back yard, and built up to the cul-de-sac in about a week, but at first, a shower was a big job. Take it slow, but add on every day if you can.

A lot will depend on your lung function going in,but they will do pulmonary function tests prior to surgery, if you will be getting surgery. Your surgeon can discuss all these issues with you too and tell you what you can expect after surgery.

I did return to work (desk job) a little over two weeks after surgery, and can do everything I did before surgery. I am very grateful for my good fortune.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cindy

I am so glad I read this Cindy. My husband is going into surgery next tuesday and his goal is to get back to work in two weeks. Maybe if he needs only one lobe taken out he can.If the whole lung comes out then I guess he will have to wait a bit longer Our surgeon has also said to exercise. I will make Gary read your post.

Lorrie

Hi Ralph: I think my wife thought I was more sexy after my operation...well, whatever.

I saved a little writeup about my experience that I will repost for you:

Don M

written June 16, 2005

I had an upper left lobectomy in Jan 2004. In Feb 2005, I had the rest of my left lung removed..a pneumectomy. Recovery from the lobectomy was not too bad, so I thought I knew what to expect when I had the pneumectomy. But, I was surprised at how easily I got out of breath after the pneumectomy. When I sat up on the edge of the bed for the first time the day after surgery, I was out of breath. I never had this happen after my lobectomy. I was on oxygen for 3 weeks after the day of my pneumectony.

I had an epidural for pain. The anesthesiologist urged me to use the epidural. He told me that there are indications that those who use an epidural have fewer post op pain problems in the future. The epidural stays on for 3 days or so. Pain really wasn’t much of a problem for me as I recall. It was managed well. When I went home I took oxycontin until the pills were gone, and did not need any more after that. Now, at nearly 4 months after my penumectomy, I have no pain at my incision except for a sore spot where an old suture is working its way out.

One problem with the pain meds is constipation and not being able to urinate. I knew more what to expect the second time, so I asked for laxatives early. At the first operation, I had to wear a catheter home. I found out that I had a staph infection in my urinary tract. I went to an urologist and had it cleared up within a week. At the second operation, I had the catheter removed after the epidural was removed, about the third day. I still could not urinate, and I had to have the catheter reinserted (big ouch) to void my bladder. It was just a temporary insertion. After, my bladder was emptied, the catheter came out. Fortunately, after that, I was able to urinate on my own. I was most happy about that. I remember carrying containers full of urine to the bathroom and would brag to the nurses about how much I had peed. So, after my second operation, the only thing I still had attached to me when I went home was oxygen.

I have a little stiffness, but my range of motion is good. I did physical therapy after my lobectomy, but I did not do it this time. I don’t think I need it.

When I got home, I got used to sleeping on my good side. I just used a regular bed. I was able to do light housework in 2 weeks. I went back to work in 4 weeks. I rototilled the garden and mowed the lawn at 3 months. Today, I split a little wood.

It is real important to cough the gunk up from day one and to use the spirometer thingy. I started walking as soon as I could. At first it was hard for me, because I would get out of breath. When I got home, I walked every day, around the block, carrying my oxygen with me. After I got rid of the oxygen, I started walking a half-mile and soon was up to a mile a day. I still walk a mile a day. I can walk a mile comfortably in 17 minutes. I can do it in 15 minutes if I make my little short legs go as fast as they possibly can. I can go up and down a flight of stairs over and over again. I was disappointed a couple of weeks ago, when I went out in the woods and discovered that I could not walk uphill on very steep ground without stopping after 10 feet. I am still on chemo. I have one more round to go, and will finish at the end of June. My oncologist says that I should be able to do better out in the woods after I regain my stamina. He says it takes up to 8 months after chemo before you get all of your stamina back.

I was very grateful that I was able to have the operation. I am cancer free now, and did the chemo just to make sure. I did not do it after my first operation. I was stage 1 both times.

I still have a slight urge to dry cough. It is more pronounced when I bend over. It was really bad about a month ago, but is mostly gone now and manageable.

I have been told that a pneumectomy is the most major surgery you can have….piece of cake!, Well, doable at least.

Hi Ralph,

Good luck with your surgery and I pray your lymph nodes are clean as they will add to your staging.

My husband was suppose to have his whole left lung removed but they found they could get the right margin with only taking the left lobe. He was really lucky. :D

Everyone is different as far as recoupering. My husband took about 7 weeks, but he developed a underactive thyroid condition :shock: which completely put him out of commision and he feels that was worse then the operation itself. So if he did not have the Thyroid thing, then he would probably would have felt better about 3 or 4 weeks.

He had adjuntive chemo for preventive purposes.

Can't answer you about the sex question as he was like a zombie from the Thyroid and sex was just not an option at the time. But rest assure that will not be a problem, as long as you don't do any crazy positions. :roll:

Good luck and keep us posted. :wink:

Maryanne

Hi, and Welcome!

Life with one lung is different. You don't have the back up repiratory reserves that you did before having a lung removed. It means that something like the common cold can have serious consequences for folks like us......

BUT, I can do almost anything I want to do. I just have to go a little slower than before. I have to make allowances. I sometimes have to use supplemental oxygen, but this really isn't the worst thing to happen to a body. There are portable units that allow me to go pretty much where ever I want to go. I do avoid bonfires and open barbque grills, gas burners on the stove.

Exercise is critical to physical well being, but you need to clear this with your Physicians before you try to do anything post surgery! I know many one lungers, and those who are celebate are so because they CHOOSE to be so, not because they can't perform.

welcome Ralph. sorry you're going through this. my mother is coming out of a pneumonectomy right now. she's had some surgical complications, but I can tell you that before they popped up she was recovering comfortably, after a little medication tinkering, and rapidly. we still expect her to resume full activity, with a few modifications.

Fay and Don (and others) were so helpful to me and Suki, in preparing us for what was to come. it made both of us much calmer. keep asking questions and you'll get answers, support and prayers here.

god bless Becky. I have no answer to that question for you, I would just as soon not contemplate my mother having sex with one lung, or two for that matter. :oops:

hang in there.

xoxo

amie

Ralph,welcome to our support family.There are lots of knowing and caring people here.

This is a major surgery and will take a fairly long time to heal.You should be able to do most all the same things but you will need to get used to a new normal.You will most likely be restricted in some areas.

As for the sex part the only big difference will be running out of breath.If your partner is willing shouldn't be too difficult but if you have to chase them around the house for a while then SOB (short of breath)could be factor.

Ralph,

In time you will learn all the details about your case and we will better be able to help you. My husband had his right lung removed April 2001 and did well until his recurrence, diagnosed January 2004. There are so many factors that make each case unique, so it is hard to answer your questions. Your overall health and physical condition prior to surgery will make a difference. I guess the answer to your question would be that under ideal circumstances, you can probably do most anything after surgery that you did before once the healing is complete. Keep us informed.

God Bless,

Sue

Ralph,

Today is my 3 month anniversary since my lobectomy. I had half of my left lung removed. I have been back in spinning classes for weeks now. I still get out of breath easier, but it is improving daily. I was back at the gym 2 weeks after surgery. I refused to give in. I was able to have the VATS, which made my recovery much easier. I was back to work in 2 weeks.

Please read David P's story under "MY STORY". It has been my inspiration for the past 3 months!

Good Luck!