No Avastin

KarHart

$30,000 a treatment, both insurances (medicare & Blue cross) said no. We got this info as soon as we got back from KY. The doctor called and said he did not know if it would be effective with the chemo anyway. I think he was as shocked as us at the cost. To top it off we also found out he has tumors in his lungs and lymph nodes along with the liver. Just bad news all around.

He got his first chemo on Thurs. so far no side effects. The study that used Avastin was with Tarceva so I told the Dr. I wanted to wait till we got to that point before we used it. I am going to start lobbying the insurace for approval now. Please anyone who was able to get their insurance to pay for avastin please let me know what arguments you used to convince them.

My mother is still in the hospital. She had surgery the day we got back. Diverticulosis. She had to have a temporary colostomy (4-6 months). Everyting is just getting a little overwhelming right now.

I appreciate any help anyone can give on the avastin. Thanks.

Karen H

Karen, it is not bad enough fighting this dam* disease, we then have to fight the insurance companies. You are smart to start lobbying now.

I am sorry about the bad news, hope the new tx work miracles.

Also, it seems to me diverticulitis (sp) must be in the water, I hear of it so often lately. I hope your Mother has an easy and uneventful recovery.

Karen I sent you a email--the drug company will pay for it if insurance won't--because it is only really approved for colon cancer. My husband signed several papers saying he agreed to try it with his cancer. He filled out papers regarding our income, insurance and release of liability. This was all done thru the onc. office. Give it a shot! Good luck, god bless,Nancy C

Avastin with carboplatin and taxol is:

"The new standard of Care for front line treatment for NSCLC"

This comes from Dr. Sandlers study at Vanderbilt Universtiy in Nashville, TN.

This is the statement insurance companies need to hear to get avastin approval.

Anderson Center in Texas is stating their study using avastin with tarceva or taxotere is not a new frontline treatment, therefore insurance companies will not necessarily agree to this. Texas says their course is to be used in clinical studies only etc.

Frontline treatment means no other chemo, other than low radiation level chemo. A good oncologist might be able to work around this but that is a rare breed.

No brain mets with avastin allowed.

I am not having problems with the avastin and asked the dr wed if they have many patients on avastin.

She said yes, many, and no problems!!!!!Some are on for breast cancer.

joyce

Thank you to everyone for all your help. My mom is still in the hospital, had major surgery the day we got back from the family reunion. One of her sisters has come to help (she is a CNA). She had to have a reversible colostomy so that means major surgery again in a few months. I am really lucky Kens is doing so well, no side effects from the chemo, since I have spent so much time at the hospital. Anyway, my aunt Karen is going to stay for a couple of months so I don't have to worry about my mom so much.

I am going to start today by calling our insurance agent and getting input from him. We have worked together for years and I know he will do all he can to help me. I have gotten so much help from everyone who has answered and PM'd me. Thanks again, I knew I could count on you. It is just wonderful to have this great resource and support.

Karen H

• 2 weeks later...
Avastin with carboplatin and taxol is:

"The new standard of Care for front line treatment for NSCLC"

This comes from Dr. Sandlers study at Vanderbilt Universtiy in Nashville, TN.

This is the statement insurance companies need to hear to get avastin approval.

Anderson Center in Texas is stating their study using avastin with tarceva or taxotere is not a new frontline treatment, therefore insurance companies will not necessarily agree to this. Texas says their course is to be used in clinical studies only etc.

Frontline treatment means no other chemo, other than low radiation level chemo. A good oncologist might be able to work around this but that is a rare breed.

No brain mets with avastin allowed.

I am not having problems with the avastin and asked the dr wed if they have many patients on avastin.

She said yes, many, and no problems!!!!!Some are on for breast cancer.

joyce

Joyce :

I'm surprised to read this position by MD Anderson. Do you happen to have a web link to the clinical trial(s) or pertinent clinical data that is being used to support this position ? Maybe I missed it. The reason that I'm surprised by this is because all of the clinical trial data that I'm aware of re: Tarceva / Avastin vs. Avastin / various chemo combinations has shown no clincally significant difference in survival rate one over the other. Even the press releases following the ASCO meeting mentioned this comparable response in survival rate.

Thanks.

Dear Bill,

I cannot remember where I read the article. I remembered it because I am on avastin and was stunned, if I find it agian I will post.

The difference seems to be frontline as opposed to second line treatments. I have been reading up on this stuff from the ASCO site and the MD ANderson site and it seems the avastin with tarceva and/or avastin and taxotere are used after failure of previous treatments-so it would seem that is why it is not frontline. I do not think I understood this difference, frontline is first treatment, (other than radiation dosage).

Sorry if this is confusing, I get confused a lot.

(MD Anderson participated in the avastin and tarceva study with Vanderbilt.)

joyce