People Magazine

Lisa O

I just hung up from People Magazine. Apparently they are also doing a story on Lung Cancer. I don't know what angle they are taking but I did tell them that I felt this was not a smoker v. nonsmoker issue and that it is no different than blaming cheeseburger eating for heart disease or candybar eating for diabetes and that the disparity in funding due to the stigma of smoking was reprehensible. I don't know if anything I said will be in the article or if it gets used how much anger it will create but I felt I needed to say it after so much has been said about smoking of late.

Bless you, Lisa. I've been working up a good "mad" myself lately and if I knew where to direct it, I would chew off an ear or two expounding on the topic!

What with Jennings' death and now Dana Reeves dx...the light is shining brightly on lung cancer. I saw on CNN today that there is a special running on cancer on Sunday night at 8:00. I plan to watch. We'll see how much attention is paid to l.c.

There were 2-3 articles in our local paper (lovingly called the Fish Wrap because generally that's about all it's good for, is wrapping fish :roll: ) today, on Jennings and lung cancer and cancer in general.

Strike while the iron is hot, I say. The focus is on us right now...so making a good noise might help.

I might fire off an email to two to abcnews.com and even People mag.

Thanks for the thought, Lisa. You rock!

Lisa...you are such a great representative for our cause!!! I am so proud of you and everything you are doing to help everyone that has been touched by this terrible disease!!!

p.s. Can I have your autograph??? (Big Smile)

Lisa, you go girl! Well done.

I wrote to my local tv station to thank them for the good coverage they did surrounding the death of Peter Jennings. It was far superior to what I heard on ABC's GMA in terms of data and facts. Anyway, I got an answer from the guy who does the early morning show, and they want me to remind them a few weeks before Lung Cancer Awareness month, so I plan to do that and give them a few places to get info.

Yes, the iron does seem to be hot right now, so I'm going for all I can do.

Di

Lisa,

You are a very brave lady who's has been dealt a stinky hand of cards but is definitely using it to forward a great message! WOW! I know the local ABC channel down here in Virginia Beach had the organizer for the first annual 5K for lung cancer that I ran in last year on today to help plug the November 5 run this year. She also talked about the smoking stigma and that it doesn't get the press and funding that other cancers get. It just stinks that it takes people to die for this message to get to the forefront!

Lisa,

You go girl. I am so proud of you and the way you are representing all of us when asked about this terrible disease we all have. I thank you for mentioning that the lack of funds due to the stigma of "smoking caused it" is not fair. What about aids? Are we going to let those people die because they had unprotected sex? Of course not. Its time our cause got the push it really needs.

Thanks Lisa.

Nina

Lisa,

I am so happy to see someone actually saying that to the press. What a great comparison. Thank-you so much. I have always said if someone is going to ask me a lung cancer patient if I smoked or not, then why were they not asking that heart patient, do you smoke or,do you eat fatty foods. Also there are other types of cancers that smoking contributes to, so why wouldn't they ask the same question to them, are you a smoker.

Lisa, I see that Donna asked if People Magazine called you or if you called them and I see by your answer that they called you. But how did ABC News contact you? And how does it feel to be our shining star?

Keep up the good work.

Best Wishes,

Dee

Dee,

I have an oncologist who is a wonderful champion of lung cancer issues and who has been interviewed regarding Jennings and now Reeves. He was interviewed by ABC and then asked if he had any younger female patients who had lung cancer that was not caused by tobacco. He asked me if I would speak to them. I was very clear with ABC at the beginning of the interview that I was NOT a "never" smoker, but that I did smoke while I was in college. (Of course I had non-smoking room mates, and couldn't smoke in classes... so at times it was quite limited...) Because my doctors deemed my smoking to be insignificant to my cancer (BAC), ABC felt I was appropriate for the story which was to point out that there were other causes of cancer than tobacco.

I am uncomfortable with the story because I did not expect the smoking v. nonsmoking issue to be as prominent as it became. It happened as a matter of timing between Jennings and Reeves. I watch my friends, smokers and nonsmokers alike suffer day in and out from this horrid dreadful disease and I don't believe that any one of them should be made to feel responsible for their fate. The fact remains that less than 20% of smokers get lung cancer and genetics and other factors play a role -- probably more than smoking and we don't have the answers because we are too busy blaming the patients.

Sorry for the tirade. It has been a long week and I lost a dear friend due to lung cancer this week. It doesn't matter whether she smoked or not.