I am new to this too.

shirleyb

Hi all,

I too, am new to this club we call cancer survivors. My husband, Randy, was diagnosed on July 4 with stage 4 lung cancer that has spread to the liver. His only option for treatment at this time is chemo, which he started on July 13. He came home from the hospital after a 12 day stay on July 14, only to be readmitted last night again because of blood clots in his legs. He just wants to be home. Right now I am not sure where to begin. What questions to ask, who to ask them too, where to go for more information, and the rest that I am sure each of us is going through in our own way. I am fortunate in that one of Randy's nurses (Donna G) guided us to this site. I am so thankful for her in this process. That is the basics for now. We are hoping for a miracle because we see them every day in our lives. We only pray that God grants us the big one we are looking for. Until then, we have a battle ahead of us and we need all the help we can get.

Keeping the Faith,

Shirley

Randy's number one Fan!!!

Hi shirleyb,

Welcome to this site - I am fairly new also, but from everything I have seen here, you will find friendship, support, comfort, love and if someone doesn't have an answer to your questions they will let you know where to look. I am a 3 year survivor. Keep us posted as to how you guys are doing and both of you will be in my prayers.

Take care,

Nancy

Welcome, Shirley! I am Lucie's no. 1 fan! It is difficult being the primary care giver and an awesome task, but we have the info and support here, and the support of those around us. We are definitely not alone in this battle. Lucie and I are looking for that smooth place in the road after 8 months of bumpy, up and down traveling. Let us know what is going on with you and Randy (incidentally, that is my younger son's name). Don

Welcome, Shirley! Sorry you have to be here, but you couldn't have picked a better group of people to find support, comfort and answers. When my mom was diagnosed I felt so overwhelmed, where do I begin, what questions do I ask, where are we heading, what do I even do! It can be so daunting. Whenever I have questions, I look for answers here. It is also a good source to find comfort when you need it. Don't ever give up hope. Educate yourself, ask the doctor questions and if you doubt anything, get a second opinion. My prayers are with you.

Dear Shirley,

Welcome to our family. Sorry you have the need to join us. I would like to ask you if your husband has Small Cell or NonSmall Cell lung cancer? That does make a difference in his treatments. DO NOT give UP HOPE my dear. We know many people that were told not much could be done and they are still here years later. I might add I'm kind of one of them. Although I was never told I wouldn't be here for long, because my doctor's were all very encouraging and positive thinking for my account. But, I was a stage IIIB Adeno, and that's not the best stage to be either, but here I am 8 years later as of JULY 25th.

It would help us better to help you if we knew what type of cancer Randy has.

I never had our Donna G for a nurse, but I sure am proud to say she has become a VERY DEAR AND GOOD FRIEND to me over the last 4+ years. She's the GREATEST! Your Randy is in GOOD HANDS!!

Stay with us, and we will walk the walk with you. I'm sure Donna also told you about our Lung Cancer Support Group at Regions Hospital. We encourage family members to attend as well as patients or your welcome to come if Randy can't make it to a meeting now and then. We are a great bunch of people and again, you will find much support and helpful advice at our Support Group. But, do stay in touch with this board. It's a life line without a doubt!

Tell Randy I am sending him Get Well Wishes, and I too hope he gets to go home and stay home real soon! This lung cancer crud can be a very bumpy ride. So, hang on, and remember your not alone.

Warm and Gentle Hugs,

Hi Shirley and Randy.

Connie's right, you're in for a bumpy ride so get yourselves prepared both mentally and physically, as well, keep yourselves informed of all that can be done for Randy's particular type of cancer. A positive attitude, and healthy lifestyle with a bit of exercise thrown in is a good start to the tough battle you have ahead. Stay strong, stay connected - we have a wonderful network of experienced caregivers here - make sure you use them. Take care,

David P.

Glad you posted Shirley, have been thinking of you guys. I work tomorrow if Randy is still there I'll see you then . I'd rather see you at our group or at the grocery store etc then Randy would be feeling better! :D:D by the way I shop at Cub :lol: Take Care Hugs (((())))))Donna

Hi Shirley,

Wow, you have two great people right in your area to help you to understand some of what has just happened on July 4. A day you will never forget. My husband Buddy was operated on 9/ 11, one year after the he/// in NY. No one can forget 9/11 either. He to has the mets from the nsclc (non small cell lung cancer) now in the liver. He also had it in the brain but on last check it is not showing. He was able to be operated on and had his left lung removed which had two tumors in it. So, sometimes they can operate and remove the lung, then give treatments and sometimes they can only give treatments. Whatever way they say, go for it for you loved one.

my suggestion to get you started on your long journey of understand is to read on this message board where you came into the topic Website. It takes you to a sight with a web address of www.blochcancer.org. It really helps a novice to know what to look for, what to ask, and how to fight.

I hope the best for you and your spouse..God Bless

Thank you, everyone, for the encouraging thoughts and for sharing your wisdom. Randy has NSCLC. (adneo). This came as a real surprise to us as he had been having his checkup's. He is only 48. We are learning all sorts of things. One issue that has been brought to our attention and we had questioned it before, is that because Randy has all five kinds of psorasis, he is going to have more trouble with blood clots. They are working on getting the blood situation undercontrol so he can come back home.

Seeing others here who have survived, is very encouraging. I have been out to a number of the web sites that have been posted and am finding a lot of the information I am wanting to know. It sure helps when it comes time to ask questions.

Thank you all again for sharing. I will be around here a lot I think.

It is good for my soul.

Keeping the Faith and expecting Miracles everyday!

Shirley

Hello Shirley, Welcome and my very best to you and Randy, You will be in my thought and prayers.

God bless and know you are not alone

Bobmc - NSCLC- stage IIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Shirley,

I think it's sometimes harder for the caregiver than the patient. At least the patient has things going on all round him and to him and in him, while caregivers can only wring their hands, watch and offer encouragement.

Now I'm neither a nurse, nor a Dr., but if Randy has to be lying down alot, has anyone suggested pressurized stockings for his legs? I know they were put on me when I was in the hospital, and I have no history of blood clots. Just a thought.

Hopefully, one of your next posts will be in "Good News!"

JudyB