What I wouldn't give.. to Dance With My Father Again.....

Pam

Dance With My Father Lyrics

Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence

My father would lift me high and dance with my mother and me and then

Spin me around 'til I fell asleep

Then up the stairs he would carry me

And I knew for sure I was loved

If I could get another chance, another walk, another dance with him

I'd play a song that would never, ever end

How I'd love, love, love

To dance with my father again

When I and my mother would disagree

To get my way, I would run from her to him

He'd make me laugh just to comfort me

Then finally make me do just what my mama said

Later that night when I was asleep

He left a dollar under my sheet

Never dreamed that he would be gone from me

If I could steal one final glance, one final step, one final dance with him

I'd play a song that would never, ever end

'Cause I'd love, love, love

Sometimes I'd listen outside her door

And I'd hear how my mother cried for him

I pray for her even more than me

I pray for her even more than me

I know I'm praying for much too much

But could you send back the only man she loved

I know you don't do it usually

But dear Lord she's dying

Every night I fall asleep and this is all I ever dream

Pam,

I really know what you mean..When ths song came out it was around the time my dad passed and to this day still wont listen to it..I am not sure what the words are but I know it has to be heartbreaking..

I noticed the anniversary of your dear dads passing is coming up, these days leading up to it are so hard to get through, hope it passes softly for you...

What a beautiful tribute to your Father. I love this song. My Dad is dying of lung cancer and can barely walk. I would love to dance with him again. Our last dance was very special though. Shortly after he was dx., my niece was married and we danced at her wedding. We danced to "Wind Beneath my Wings". This is the song we danced to at my wedding dance. I cried both times. It was a very special moment for me, one I will never forget.

Thanks for sharing.

Denise

Thanks, to all of you.....I needed some encouragement. It's coming up on two years, and I swear every day that it gets closer I sink a little lower. Cry at work, cry at home, in the shower, driving....I can't stop it or control it.

Thanks, everyone....for being so kind.

Pam, it's good to see you post again. How are you? It's good to see your dad's face here. It must be very hard to you, a daughter who loves his dad very much and I agree that time never stop our cries cause we lost our dad, he would never appear in front of us again for the rest of our life. It's so sad...I hate that we can't do anything to get them back, I hate this inability. This was too soon to happen on us when we were not ready for this yet.

Especially thinking of you on the date, my friend.

I'm crying with you, Pam. I know how hard it is. It's so very very hard. I think the second year has been harder than the first. My dad will be gone 2 years on March 21st. What I wouldn't give to have him here with me again. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Just saw this post and it gave me goose bumps. Dancing with Dad -- the things you think you will be able to do forever and that they'll always be here. Wanted to share a special gift I received. My dad's sister passed away six months after he did. When they went through photos to give to our family, there it was -- me dancing with my dad at my wedding reception over 20 years ago! It was a polaroid my aunt took and I will cherish it forever. You see, my photographer forgot to take the picture at our reception of me dancing with dad. I still think Dad had a hand in me getting the picture. So when I saw this topic, I just thought I had to share this special gift I received after Dad passed.

Oh, Kim, what a beautiful gift you received from your father by getting that photo to you. I love hearing stories like that. I believe with all of my heart that he had a hand in it too. I never got to dance with my Dad at my wedding, I never got married. I'll always regret that. Much love.

• 3 months later...